Chapter 5

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

            Yixing sits up to checks his phone with one hand and leans on the other, which was conveniently still placed on your face. You jerk up into a sitting position which throws Yixing off balance. He falls onto his arm and quickly gets back up.

            “You forgot about your hand.”

             He glares at you trying not to smile. “I noticed.”

             You laugh as you get up picking up the blanket. You fold it and gather a few pillows and head to the storage room. Yixing follows with his CDs. After cleaning up you look around. Just a plain old box with fading stars again. Both of you leave, you still clutching onto your bag of Pocky sticks. Yixing turns to close the door and lock it up.

            “The code is 31, 5, 23. So if you want to come back. Don’t steal my CDs though.” You scrunch your nose at him and he smiles back.

            “What hotel are you staying at?” you tell him. “Oh, that’s not too far away from here or our dorms. I’ll walk you there; I’m not going to let you go alone.”

            “What about ‘drop the girl.’”

            “Ah. Wu Yifan can go himself.”

            “What happened to listening to the leader?" he snorts. "You really don’t like him do you.”

            He laughs. “Au contraire-" he pauses to smile at the usage of the new word. "We’re best friends actually. Our relationship consists mostly of me ting on him, though. The fans love it. We’re the ‘Kray’, ‘KrisLay’, or my favorite, ‘Krispy Lays’ couple.” You bite your lip remembering all the times you used to ‘ship’ idols together.

            “Doesn’t it even feel weird though? When thousands of girls literally want you to rip each other’s clothes off and make out.”

            He’s silent for a while. “Yea. It sure makes your relationship with your other half more awkward...but the fans love it.”

            “You guys put up a lot for fans don’t you.”

            “Yea a load, but we love them. The fact that people love us for existing, it makes you feel happy.” Yixing smiles as his phone rings. 

            “I’m going home.” A look of confusion crosses his eyes. “Wait. How did you-.” He scrunches his eyebrows. “Uh. Okay.” He gives you the phone.  “Um. Kris wants to talk with you.”

            You raise your eyebrows. Why does he want to talk with you? “Uhm. Yea?”

            “I finally know who you are.”

            “O...kay?”

            “And that’s because you and Lay’s date is plastered all over the internet.”

            “.” Yixing raises his eyebrows.

            “Yea, it is.” Kris snorts.

            “Wait, what do we do?”

            “Thank god I found this before our manager found out. Do you see anyone with a expensive camera? Don’t be too obvious.”

            You slowly spin around looking.

            “Did you see her?”

            You look around. There’s a couple with a phone camera. A shabby looking guy. A guy walking really fast talking on his phone. A girl with…there.

            “Yup. She’s holding a really big camera. Expensive-looking.”

            “That should be her.” Kris tells you his plan.

----------------------------------------------

            You hand Lay his phone and you walk up to the girl with the camera. She’s semi hiding in a bush and she jumps up, eyes widening as you approach her.

            “Wait no, don’t go! Do you have a phone I can use?”

            The girl looks warily and you try to give your best im-not-going-to-hurt-you smile. She still stares at you, slowly backing away.

            “His phone just ran out of battery, I need to call his manager!” You nudge your head towards a clueless looking Yixing.

            Her eyebrows raise and she hesitantly gives you her phone.  You take it and call Kris. You speak loudly making sure she can hear you clearly.

            “Hello, it’s me…Yes…Yes, I found him wandering near the coffee shop…Yes, do you want me to bring Yixing to you at the SM building?...Oh just to his dorm?...Alright… I’ll take him straight to his dorm… You’re welcome... I’ll see you there.”

            You smile and hang up. You hand the phone back to the girl who looks confused. You chuckle and shake your head. “Idols, always shirking responsibilities.”

            She was silent; she still looked dubious.

            “You know, I was just walking around when I saw him at a coffee shop all alone. I’m friends with his manager and so I called him knowing that he wasn’t supposed to be out alone. Especially at this time of night.” You watch her as you blabber. Her face turns from confusion to shock to embarrasment.

            Bingo.

            “Aish. Why am I telling you all of this, I need to get him back to his dorms.” You quickly bow your head, “Thank you so much for your phone!” You run back to Yixing, him still clueless.

            “Zhang Yixing.” You speak loudly, hoping the girl could still hear. “I’m taking you straight back to the dorms! You’re in big trouble!” You start marching forward.

            He runs after you, “Are you…okay?”

            “Just lead me to your dorms.”

            “But Kris?”

            “He knows.”

            You walk in silence. He does not. He keeps trying to make conversations, but you keep quiet and make sure you’re not walking too close. He realizes this halfway to the dorms and falls silent. His nibbles on his thumb for the entire time.

            You arrive at the apartment building and wait while Chips frantically pats his body trying to find his entry card. He looks panicked realizing that he probably left his card inside his dorms. You smile, you don’t groan, you don’t sigh, you just smile.  You pass through the gates after much delay, realizing his card was in his back pocket. He leads you to the dorm building and you walk up the stairs to his dorm. The door swings open on the first knock. The quiet night air around you suddenly bursts with joyous screaming and yelling. A tall man quickly pulls you and Yixing in.

            You take in the scene in front of you. There was one small ancient TV with a bunch of wires plugged into it. The screen was flashing with a music video of a bunch of girls in scantily dressed outfits gyrating their hips. The song almost sounded familiar to you except for the fact that 3 boys were screaming lyrics out of tune and off key.

            There was Chen, you could clearly tell it was him. He was standing on the table crossing his arms with one hand up, a microphone to his lips. His hips gyrating side to side to the music as he screamed into his mic.  Then you had another familiar face although no name was attached. He had chubby cheeks and mischievous eyes, he looked like he was the youngest except for the fact that he was drinking.  He was lying on the couch a beer in one hand and one leg thrown over the top of the couch. He slowly sipped the beer as he observed everyone laughing like a maniac at Chen and the two others.

            The other two were not familiar to you. One was running around the room jumping over furniture while singing his heart out, while the other was just lying on the floor having a spazz attack and trying to speak into the mic without cracking up. The jumpy one was cute. He was short and had an angelic face. The spazzy one scared you. He honestly seemed like he was on crack, his eyes wide saucers and mouth resembling the Cheshire Cat.

            You take the loud scene in and suddenly feel large hands on your shoulder.  You spin around and face Kris. 

            “I’m going to have a little chat with Lay, so why don’t you grab a beer from the fridge and join the fun?”

            “I’d rather not. Include me in this chat.”

            “This is between me and him, dear.”

            You growl and move out of his path. You head towards Yixing who has his hands in his pockets.  He jerks his head up as you link arms with him and scowl at Kris, “I’m not your dear, nor am I your sweetheart. What concerns Lay tonight, concerns me also.” Kris raises his eybrows and opens his mouth slightly to what seems to be a grin.

            The screaming and music in the background suddenly stops and it’s quiet in the room.

            A screech shatters the silence. “Oh. My. God. Are you Yixing's girlfriend?!?!” You snap your head up towards the sound. Chen is still standing on the table staring at you his mouth in an ‘o.’ He suddenly jumps off  the table and runs in your general direction, crashing into Kris and a chair on his way. He gets up from the floor, following his multiple crashes and jumps up in front of you.

            “Wasn't I supposed to hook up with you?!”

            “Um.” You shrink back. 

            He crushes you in a bear hug.

            “Are you my noona~~?" You struggle against his grip. His hands are thrown around your arms, trapping Yixing's arm. His face is snuggled into your neck, rubbing and smiling, clearly intoxicated.

            Kris, with the help of one of Yixing's arms, pries Chen off of you. He realizes that Yixing is standing next to you and his eyes widen.

            "Actually I don't care if you're my noona! Yixing needs to get laid more often! He so caught up with being Mr. Perfect in everything to get laid, I'll give you up for his sake!" He nods at you sympathetically like he felt bad for you.

            You snort as Yixing swiftly unlinks arms and tackles Chen, trying to push him to the ground. Chen grabs Yixing’s hips before they fall and starts dancing. He hums a slow tune while Yixing dumfounded, sways with Chen.

            All the while you can see that the guy on the couch finally is passed out and the one on the floor is rolling around, crying of laughter. The jumpy one stood still, eyes wide, taking in the scene. Kris interferes and pulls Yixing away from Chen. He grabs your hand and drags you both down the hallway and into a room. He shuts the door but you can hear Chen starting to sing a slow solemn ballad.

            Completely out of tune and positively drunk. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: They were singing to BEG's Abracadabra. Seems like a Kim Jongdae song to me.