Chapter 1

Chips, Lays, and Zhang Yixing

           “, , .” You mutter the mantra under your breath. You can’t believe that you left your bag at the McDonalds counter; you hurriedly walk to the store. Your plane to Korea leaves in 2 hours and you wanted some time to rest at the boarding room.

           Arriving at the counter, the cashier informs you that someone had already found your bag and took it to the Information Desk/Lost and Found, across the airport. Thank god the Indonesian airport is so dang large. Now you would only have 1 hour tops to rest up before the flight. You sigh inwardly and walk as fast as you can to the info desk.

----------------------------------------------

           “I…uh…lost my passport. It’s. Um. I left it. I think. At the hotel. they told me it was here.” The man in front of you tapped his fingers against the counter as he slowly spoke broken English to the lady at the counter.

           The lady looks up at him and stares. “You’re…EX-”

           “Uh. Yea. Hurry? Thank you.”

           “Oh…Yes of course.” The lady rummages through a pile of passports on the counter and picks one out. “Here.”    She holds up the passport smiling brightly. “Can I have an autog-”

           The guy standing at the desk takes his passport, bows, and leaves. You get a glimpse of his face. He has an angular chin and a slim face. His hair is a rich coffee brown, obviously styled by the looks of the placement of each perfect strand. He’s handsome, no doubt. Hot. Yeah, he’s pretty dang hot. You guess you could also say pretty. A total flower boy type. You expect him to suddenly throws hearts and blow a kiss, but his facial expression is the opposite of grease, he seemed out of it. Dazed of some sort. A blank look of nothing on his face. Probably drunk, or having a hangover. Why did the lady want his autograph.

           You walk up to the desk. “Who was that?”

           “Oh! My daughter talks about his group all the time! His name has something to do with chips. Um. Lays or something. He’s a part of EXO M.  They’re counterparts with EXO K a gro-”

           “Oh. Thank you.” You cut her off. Honestly you couldn't care less about the whole pop music industry. You were more of a cinephile who enjoyed grand soundtracks, so you really didn’t give a crap if that drunk was some famous popstar. “I lost my bag, I was told someone left it here.”

           “Oh yes. Sorry. Describe the bag. What did it look like?”

           “It was greyish, a side bag, about yeh” you hold up your hands to explain, “big.”

            “Oh! Him! He had it! The chips guy! He forgot to give it to me though!”

           “Why the heck does he have it?”

           “Oh. He said he found it at McDonalds.”

           “Yup. That’s mine.” That little freak is drunk. “Thanks!” You yell running in the direction he headed. You wander around aimlessly through the airport looking for him. You groan realizing that you could have stayed at the desk and made the lady use the teleprompter to find the guy.  You look at your phone: about an hour and 15 minutes till boarding. Ugh. You decide that the bag didn’t have too much important stuff: makeup, emergency junk food, sunglasses... . Your sunglasses cost all your library work shifts. And what else? Your Ipod. . Your freaking Ipod. Why did he need to be drunk today of all days, why did he  find your bag. You bury your face in your hands and bitterly accept the loss.

           You run to the check in and go through the tedious process. You finally collapse on a hard chair in the boarding room 20 minutes till boarding. You instinctively reach for your side to take out your Ipod and headphones but you grab at nothing. You hang your head and thank Chips, or whatever his name was. Today was a great day to be drunk and run off with your bag. You try to close your eyes and get some rest because you know for a fact that you won’t be able to get any shut eye in economy. But the chair is too hard, your neck is too itchy, and the lady on the intercom is too annoying. You get up to go to the bathroom just to splash your face with water to try to prevent the headache you feel coming. Walking to the bathroom, you glance at the full boarding room. In the corner you spot 6 ridiculously good looking guys on the floor, playing cards, surrounded by guards. And in the dead center, Chips.

           Your jaw drops as you see the bag still hung precariously off his shoulder. You turn at your heels and march up to Chips, ignoring the large scary looking bodyguards now raising their eyebrows at your rapid arrival.

           “Hey! Chips you have my bag!” You internally wince at yourself, you didn't expect to actually call him Chips. All 6 heads snap up and the guards tense. “You...” You point at Chips. “...have my bag. The lady at the counter told me that you had it.”

           You get a blank expression from all 5 guys but one. He was incredibly tall and good looking but his face seemed to be stuck in permanent face. His hair was auburn and was styled carefully into a perfect bouffant. Who even were these guys? Some Kpop boyband? The man stood up and raised his eyebrows at you, "What?" 

           "Not you! Him!" You point at Chips you looks at you with wide eyes, a face of pure confusion, "He has my bag."

           “What is she talking about?” The guy asks Chips in Korean.  

           “Oh. Duizhang. I uh. Left my passport at the hotel. So I went to the Info Desk to find it. I found a bag on the way there.”

           “So you weren’t in the bathroom.”

           "…No.”

           The permanent face groaned and began to speak rapid and seemingly angry Mandarin at Chips, who responded with equally confused and annoyed Mandarin. 

           “Hey! Bag! I need!” You snap, this time in Korean picking up on their language cues.

           Yixing, Chips, whoever, looks up at you. “Oh. I have it. I’m sorry. I forgot to give it to the lady.” He turns around and the other way, and rummages through his purple backpack as you wait impatiently.

           “.” he mutters. The other 5 guys look at him and groan. “I think I left it at the check in…” You mutter a curse and he gets up scratching his neck, looking incredibly apologetic.

           You walk with him and a bodyguard to the check in. He looks mad; well that would be a loose definition. He still has a blank expression on his face, but his eyebrows are a little drawn in and the corners of his mouth are tilted down. You realize that you’re staring at him because while walking you crash into a pillar and stumble. The bodyguard catches you before you hit the ground and steadies you. Chips laughs and genuinely smiles at you. You notice two impressions on each side of his face growing deeper and prominent. Oh my god, he has dimples, the cutest little dimples. But you shake the wonder out of your eyes and realize that he smiled when you crashed into a pillar... the sadistic little freak.

            He turns to you as you regain your balance, face blank once again. “What did you call me before?”

            “Huh?”

            “You called me Chips?”

            “Oh. Um. The lady at the counter said your name was something, it was some type of chips right? Cheetos? Doritos? Do you want me to call you Doritos?” He opens his mouth slightly then closes it into a slight pout. 

            “Are you drunk?” It slips out of your mouth without thinking and you slap your hand to your mouth.

            “What?” He looks at you with a blank expression. 

            “Nothing, sorry talking to myself.” You quickly mutter.

            “I’m not drunk.” He stares at you with his same blank expression.

            “Alright then.” He pouts ever so slightly then goes back to normal dead face.

            You reach the check in and after some arguing with the security you were able to go through a pile of junk leftover from the plane’s check in pile. You find your bag and head back to the boarding room. It takes you some time so when you reach you see a man arguing with the pilot.

            “Sir, we need to start, we need to be on schedule.”

            “You don’t understand, my boy is still here, he needs to make it to Korea today.”

            “Sir, would you kindly board the plane so we can start, we cannot wait any longer.”

            You and Chips look at each other with wide eyes. You two run to the pilot, the bodyguard grabbing your luggage.

            The man’s head whips towards Chips, “ZHANG YIXING. YOU ID-”

            “Sir. We don’t have time for this. Please board the plane.”

            Chips ducks his head in shame and the man and Chips quickly board the plane, you hurry behind them to be stopped by the pilot.

            “Madam, you can no longer board this plane, the boarding time was 10 minutes ago.”

            “But they-”

            “I am sorry, but that was a special case.”

            “Why should they get any special treatment? I am a passenger too!”

            “I am sorry madam.”

            “Ah. But she’s with us.” You see Chips standing at the side.

            The pilot looks between the two of us and sighs. “Give me your passport.” You give it to him and he hurriedly checks everything.

            “You are in economy.”

            “Yes.”

            “But you are with him.”

             You glare at him. He smiles and holds up an extra pass.