Malice Dreaming

The Endless Love Tetralogy: Autumn in Paris
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

ǁ TWENTY - SIX ǁ

 

M - Malice Dreaming

 

"I don't fear insects or spiders. At great heights, I jump off, smiling. In the face of death I wink. But, when I look into your eyes, I'm in fear of how much I love you." – Unknown.

 

 

 

Jessica decided not to go back to Yuri’s room. She couldn’t bear the pain inside her heart after what just happened minutes ago. She couldn’t see Yuri right now.

 

She just couldn’t.

 

She never knew how hurtful life could be; but she swore, she never felt such a terrible, unbearable and painful feeling ever. Not even the time when her father and her mother divorced five years ago, sure she was so sad, but this time those feelings were not just something that could hurt her but to terrifying, scaring and threatening her. This was not such the usual pain. This one was too painful.

 

Jessica dragged her legs along with her broken body with too much effort she made to quickly out of the hospital. Her head was throbbing, her heart beat so fast but not in a good way. Too fast, actually. She needed to think.

 

Alone.   

 

She suddenly stopped. Her grey eyes were roaming around the familiar place. Ah, her own apartment. She couldn’t remember how she ended up standing in front of her apartment. In a half-conscious state, she went into her bedroom and sat down, curled up in her bed. She remained silent as her eyes blankly stared ahead.

 

No one knew how long she lifelessly sat on her bed like that. The silent which engulfed her apartment suddenly was broken by the ringing phone. Jessica startled and soon her self-consciousness back. She barely realized that the sky outside the window was dark and her bedroom was also pitch dark. It must be taken a long time for her to remain unmoved from her sitting position. She didn’t count on time. She didn’t care at all. 

 

“Allo?” was all she could say right after her phone attached on her left ear. Everything sounded so dry.

 

“Where are you?” Taeng directly asked her. Jessica could easily imagine how confused her best friend was, right now.

 

She didn’t respond.

 

Taeng himself didn’t wait for Jessica to answer him. “Yuri is conscious.” He swiftly said, relieved.

 

Jessica furrowed and gulped. Why was it felt so painful after hearing his name?

 

“Allo, Jessi. Can you hear me? Yuri is conscious.” Taeng repeated.

 

“Mmm.” Jessica softly mumbled, almost couldn’t breathe.

 

“I’ll drive him home later. You want to come in?”

 

Jessica tried to catch her breath and forced herself to say. "No ... I can’t go there right now.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I have…something to do.” Jessica tried to dodge. “I’ll see him tomorrow.”

 

Lie…That was a lie. She was not ready to meet Yuri tomorrow.

 

“Oh?” Taeng said, slightly taken aback by her lack responses, wondering what have just happened to his best friend that caused her seemed so quiet.

 

“Is he okay?” Jessica softly asked, almost like a whisper.

 

“Yes. He is fine, as good as new. He even cannot wait to get out of this hospital."

 

Jess

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter