Jelly Cube, Turn it Up Now!

The Girl from the Bubble Tea Shop
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BGM: Lee Seunggi feat Kim Yuna - Smile Boy

 

Hours from now, the Taegeuk Warriors would take on the Uruguay national football team for the first match of the knockout stage in this year's World Cup. There were 16 countries left fighting for the much-coveted trophy and if the South Korean team fails to pull off a victory today, they would be sent packing for an early flight back to Seoul. 

 

Back in the country's capital, the people, who were mostly dressed in red, were extending their support for the entire South Korean team by holding a street concert featuring today's most popular musical performers and K-pop idols.

 

One of the many food stalls scattered around the venue in Samseong-dong is a food cart version of the Happy Bubble Tea Shop. Through Ahjumeonie's insistence, you and Kyungsoo found yourselves working on a Saturday to serve bubble tea for the thirsty audience of the concert. Since it was a weekend, Ahjumeonie's niece Yeonhee was left in charge of the main branch in Apgujeong. 

 

"Just so we're clear, I'm going all the way to the front once Super Junior starts performing,"

 

When you mentioned that Super Junior was included in the list of performers for the festival, Jihye immediately volunteered to help you and your sunbae man the stall... free of charge! Well, not really, she made you promise to make her some tuna rolls in exchange for being Happy Bubble's cashier for the day.

 

"How are you going to squeeze yourself between all those people?!?" you asked, referring to the countless number of people roaming around the plaza square. "Yeah, good luck with that, Ji,"

 

"Okay, but when SNSD performs, it would be my turn to watch," Kyungsoo reminded, before soaking the tapioca pearls in his newly-prepared sugar syrup.

 

Without pausing from re-stocking the plastic dispenser with jumbo straws, you whined, "That's unfair! I won't be able to take any breaks today because my DBSK oppas aren't performing!"

 

"Stop whining! Just consider yourself lucky that you even get to see your bias up-close," Jihye remarked.

 

Briefly turning away from the tapioca pearls, a Keroro-eyed Kyungsoo asked, "You already met Yunho sunbaenim?!?"

 

You nodded and Jihye went on telling him a full account of your encounter with the leader of Dong Bang Shin Ki. Her report to Kyungsoo was so expressive and so detailed that you would probably mistake her for the girl who actually met Yunho and not you. And yes, she even mentioned that fail of a selca that you took together.

 

"Have you met him? While in the company, I mean?" you asked.

 

Kyungsoo nodded. "Of course, I've met him. He's very hands on when it comes to the trainees. Whenever he has time, he stops by our practice room to monitor our lessons. He also gives us some much-needed constructive criticisms and useful tips to help us improve,"

 

Intertwining your fingers like you were about to pray, you spazzed, obviously forgetting that you're in the presence of other people and not alone in your bedroom. "As expected, my Yunnie bear is perfect!"

 

"Kevin hyung is particularly fond of him too," Kyungsoo revealed.

 

Upon the mention of Kevin, Jihye grew more interested in the topic. "What do you mean by he's particularly fond of him too?"

 

"It's not what you think," Kyungsoo said, quickly brushing off Jihye's indecent thoughts. "It just means that he looks up to him very much. You know, like a role model. I mean, we all do, but for Kevin hyung, Yunho sunbaenim is like his hero or something,"

 

"I bet he wants to be like him," you commented. "I mean, who doesn't?"

 

"That's why I think Kevin hyung's going to be a great leader someday," Kyungsoo confessed, before safely storing the sweetened tapioca pearls in an airtight seal container.

 

"He's going to be the leader?!?" Jihye asked.

 

Kyungsoo chuckled. "Well, we don't know about that yet, I mean, we don't even know who's going to debut or not, but if he ever gets chosen to be the leader of the team, I bet he's going to do a good job just like Yunho sunbaenim,"

 

"Totoro looks like a really kind-hearted person, doesn't he?" you observed. "I mean, he looks cold and scary at first glance, but once you see him smile and take care of his friends, you'll definitely notice the warmth in his eyes,"

 

Noticing Jihye's soft glare after you commented on noticing the warmth in Kevin's eyes, you quickly defended, "Geez. It was just a compliment, okay? It's not like I'm in love with him or something,"

 

"I didn't say anything!" Jihye clarified, a bit guilty for actually believing, even just for a second, that you were interested in her new crush.

 

Taking advantage of the topic of crushes, Kyungsoo decided to continue pestering you about your secret crush. "So, who do you like, then?"

 

"When did I say anything about liking someone?" you quickly retorted. 

 

"You didn't," he answered. "I was just asking if you were interested in anybody,"

 

Jihye was in the middle of counting change when she interjected. "Jaemi's really secretive, though. I'm her best friend, but even I don't know who her crush is... or if she even has one!"

 

"Oh, believe me. She has one... and I think I know who it is!"

 

 

"Who is it, then?"

 

Yixing, out of nowhere, suddenly appeared to ask who Kyungsoo was referring to, causing the three of you to almost jump from your positions. You were all shocked to suddenly hear his familiar voice, since none of you noticed his unannounced arrival.

 

"Don't do that again! You gave me a fright!" you told him, your right hand still on your chest, as if asking your beating heart to calm down.

 

Yixing sheepishly smiled and gently scratched the back of his neck. "Sorry," he apologized, before repeating his previous question. "Who do you think it is?"

 

"Who? Jaemi's secret crush?" Kyungsoo asked and Yixing nodded.

 

"I don't even have one!" you denied, slightly scratching your chin with your left index finger.

 

"Oh, Jaemi. I'm your best friend. I do know when you're lying," Jihye revealed. "You scratch your chin like this," she said, imitating what you did seconds ago.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes widen some more. He excitedly pointed to you and in a very loud voice, he said, "Aha! I was right, then! You do have a secret crush!"

 

"Jaemi has a secret crush?"

 

Like his friend Yixing, Luhan suddenly appeared out of nowhere and just started commenting on your conversation. He was followed closely by Kevin, who seemed to be translating something for Zitao, who was walking beside him.

 

"Yeah, and she hasn't even told me about it!" Jihye complained, a bit hurt by your secretiveness. She has always wondered why it's so hard for you to trust her with such things, when she would willingly share any sort of confidential information with you in a heartbeat.

 

To your surprise, Yixing suddenly came to your rescue. "But it wouldn't be a secret if she told anyone, right?"

 

You pointed both of your hands a la Choi Siwon towards your newfound ally and mouthed a sincere "Thank you!" in gratitude for taking your side.

 

"So, you admit it?" Kyungsoo asked, "You do have a secret crush!"

 

"I like how this conversation is going. Please do tell me more," Luhan smirked, slowly caressing his lower lip.

 

 

"By the way, are the two of you performing as well?" Jihye asked, taking note of Kevin and Zitao's almost matching outfits.

 

Unlike the majority of the people roaming around Samseong-dong, the boys weren't 'required' to dress up in red shirts since they weren't really Korean. And today, like Jihye noticed, Kevin and Zitao both sported a 'denim jacket over a white shirt' ensemble.

 

"I'm really glad you asked," Luhan said, before putting an arm around Zitao's shoulders. "You see, Zitao here, he thinks very highly of our friend,"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter