Finish line

Where were you last night?

[A/N: As I promised, double update. BG music, please be so kind and listen to it while reading, I'd appreciate : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80yBxqWeuIk ]

 

 

 

 

 

 

I instantly closed my eyes as a reflex and hid my face with my hands. It felt like time stopped for a while, I waited for the loud noise of the car crashing into a wall rip my eardrums but it didn’t come. All I heard was my own heartbeat pounding in my ears.

Did we survive? Are we safe now? Nothing bad happened?

A thousand questions were spinning in my head as hope crept in. I was about to open my eyes, when the earsplitting noise appeared. I felt a pang in my chest as disappointment and fear took over again. My body harshly yanked as the car came to a quick stop. I knew it was supposed to hurt but I didn’t feel a thing. In a way, it felt unfair. I should have felt at least something. My hearing cleared out as the heartbeat in my ears lowered itself back to my chest, aggressively pounding against the ribcage. It felt like every heartbeat hurt. I looked around me, there was a brick wall in front of me and pieces of glass everywhere. I tried taking a deep breath and heard the back door slide open. I looked back and saw Lay stumble out of the car, holding on to a post with his shaky hands. My head ached too much to look back for that long and I turned myself back to face the brick wall. I heard Lay throw up. Suddenly, I felt like a gallon of ice cold blood spread in my veins as I started thinking of Luhan. He hadn’t made any sounds. It took me all of my will power to make myself turn into his direction.

Ba-dump.

His body was limp, laying on the steering wheel.

“Luhan…” I whispered, my voice sounded weird.

I slightly pulled his body back and made it lean against the seat.

Ba-dump.

His face was covered with blood from the scratches made from little bits of glass and from that huge wound on his head. The blood gushing out from it sparkled in the city lights.

“L-lu?” I couldn’t even say his full name out loud as my breathing went chaotic.

Ba-dump.

Someone screamed in the back of the van. I couldn’t process who it was, I just stared at Luhan. But the airbag

Ba-dump.

I opened the door and ran to the other side of the car, falling and scraping my knee in the process. I opened the driver’s door and carefully held Luhan’s face.

Ba-dump.

I mumbled his name, trying to make him wake up. I heard an unfamiliar female voice shout.

“Call the ambulance, could someone please call the ambulance? Oh my god!”

Luhan opened his eyes.

Ba-dump.

My heartbeat doubled. I started caressing his cheeks and I must have cried because my eyesight was blurry.

“You’ll be okay.” I told more to myself as I continued caressing him as if he needed to calm down. “Someone already called the ambulance.” My voice was fake and exaggerated.  I noticed that Luhan’s eyes widened all of a sudden and he held his breath. I shifted closer.

“Does it hurt a lot?” I asked, mentally cursing at myself for saying the most stupid things.

“I’ve never felt pain like this before.” He quietly stated, averting his gaze from the brick wall and looked up at me, slightly smiling. “Help me get out of here.” It sounded as if nothing was wrong with him, like there wasn’t a huge wound on his head, like blood wasn’t dripping down his neck. I opened the seatbelt and tried getting him out of the car but ended up stumbling and fell backwards, ending up on the ground. Luhan slowly lowered himself and whispered. “Could you hold me for the time being?”

I shivered at the way it sounded, still in complete denial and took him in my arms, pulling him close. He just looked up at me and smiled.

“Please hear me out. Back when we were younger, remember those times? I already liked you back then. And when I found you again and found out that there are other guys in your life, I got jealous to the extent that I stopped denying that I like you. I might even love you, but I don’t think I have enough time to figure that out.” He chuckled slightly, closing his eyes. My heart must have skipped a few beats.

“No, no LUHAN! Don’t close your eyes, you’re not supposed to close your eyes, god damn it!” I shouted, hands that were holding Luhan started uncontrollably shaking. A smile spread on his face.

“Cute.” He mumbled and opened his eyes again. “I wasn’t going to go yet.”

“What do you mean yet? You’re not. Going. Anywhere.” I held onto him tighter. He blinked slowly and caressed my cheek.

“Would you please be my girlfriend?” His angelic voice ringed in my ears. I found myself eagerly nodding. Luhan smiled in content and slowly wiped his face.

“I’m sorry, I look terrible right now.” He continued to wipe his face.

“No.” was all I could say.

“Please kiss me.” Luhan suddenly whispered, his facial features as soft as ever. I leaned in and pressed my lips on his, trying to make the best out of the kiss. Luhan was the first to push me away.

“Thank you.” He mouthed, taking a deep breath and swallowed to regain his voice. “I wish I didn’t have to die.” The young man in my arms added as tears started streaming down his face, dragging blood along and leaving clean stripes on his face.

“You’re not going to die.” I wailed, pressing my forehead on his. “Not now, you can’t go like this.”

He held his breath again. “I’m scared. I think, I …” he stayed silent and swallowed. “Could you kiss me again, one last time?” he begged, eyebrows pointing high in the sky as they drew the saddest expression on his face that I’ve ever seen. I felt bits and pieces of my heart falling off with each second of this tragedy. I cupped his face and kissed him passionately, our tears mixing in the process.

The sirens brought me back as I pulled away, snapping my head in that direction. I saw a stretcher suddenly appear next to us as they basically took Luhan away from me. I stood up and followed them, ignoring the annoying nagging of the doctors and sat inside the car, next to the stretcher Luhan was laying on. As the doctors were trying to save him, Luhan reached out his hand to me. I shifted closer immediately.

“I figured it out now. I love you.” He whispered.

Those were his final words.