Surprise!

From "Pauperess" to Princess ♛

After classes were over, Jieun immediately rode her blue bike and headed to her bookstore job.

"Annyeong haseyo!" she cheerfully greeted.

"Annyeong, Jieun. Today will be a bit different for you, dear."

"Am I organizing the books today instead of counting profits? Or maybe, am I labeling and adding price tags?" Jieun asked.

"Ah, it is neither."

"Huh?"

"You can actually go home today."

"What?!"

"From what we were told in a phone call a few minutes ago, all of your jobs are cancelled for today. Also, your parents should be home."

"Why?" Jieun was surprised. "Did something happen?"

"We aren't sure. Maybe you'll be back by tomorrow." After a slight pause, she said, "Now run along now, Jieun. See you soon!"

Jieun nodded and quickly hopped on her bike.

I wonder what happened, she worriedly thought.

I hope she'll be fine, the ahjummas thought.

-----

When she arrived, Jieun saw many fancy black BMWs in front of her home.

There were men dressed in suits standing at attention.

Why are they here? Are appa and omma in trouble?! Oh no.

When they saw her, all of the men bowed, confusing Jieun.

Some of her neighbors had come out of their homes to look at the interesting scene.

Jieun rushed inside her home. She was greeted by her solemn parents and a fancily dressed man who looked to be in his late twenties.

When they saw her, the handsome man immediately stood up and bowed.

"Hello, Miss," he said.

"What's wrong? And who are you? Why are you here?" Jieun asked glancing at her parents who looked as if they were about to cry.

"So many questions, I'll try to answer them. I am Park Jungsoo, but I go by Leeteuk. I'm Wang's assistant."

"Wang? As in, the king?!"

"Yes, miss."

"T-Then, why are y-you here?"

Leeteuk cleared his throat and began. "Miss, you are not a normal person. In fact, you are the long lost princess of South Korea."

"W-Wait. What?!"

"Your grandfather, Master Shin Wonsu, we call him Wang, has been searching for you for the past 16 years. Miss, your name is not Lee Jieun, but rather, Shin Minhee."

"So I was the long lost princess? All this time?"

"It seems to be that way, Miss."

"How did he find me?"

"A couple, who are close friends of Wang's, told him that they saw someone who resembled his son and daughter-in-law. They had dinner at G.P.K.F. and saw you."

Jieun thought, then remembered the odd couple.

"Appa, omma, is this t-true? How could I be the p-princess?" Jieun stammered.

"We're so sorry, Jieun. We never told you. But around 16 years ago, you were adopted. The orphanage said that you were on the streets crying," her mom replied.

"They took you in just as we arrived at the place. We saw your innocent face, and immediately wanted you as our daughter," her dad tearfully responded.

"Yes, so this news is probably true. We always knew that there was something special about you," her mom slowly added.

Jieun was starting to break down in tears. "So, y-you aren't r-really my p-parents?"

They looked down and nodded.

"Wang has finally found you after all these long years. He would like you to go and live with him at his estate, Miss." Leeteuk bowed.

"Go, Jieun dear. You don't belong in a place like this," her dad encouraged.

"But what about you two? You won't be able to manage without me," she replied with watering eyes.

"We're stronger than you think, dear," her mom said.

"And if I might add, Wang has already prepared a mansion for your adopted parents to live in. It is fairly near their workplace, WANG Co," Leeteuk said.

"Appa, omma, you guys worked for the king's entertainment company? How come I never knew?" Jieun asked.

"Ah, that doesn't matter right now, dear. But you see, Wang has already thought ahead and made sure we will be fine," her dad said.

"Jieun, for our good, for your good, please go with this young man here to Wang's estate." Jieun's mom forced a smile.

Jieun pondered that for a bit. "Fine. I'll go," she consented.

"That's a wise choice, dear."

Jieun spoke to Leeteuk, "But can appa and omma visit me often? Or can I visit them?"

"I believe that could possibly be arranged, Miss." But it's highly unlikely...

"Let's go then," Jieun declared. She bade her parents goodbye, then headed out the front door.

Leeteuk bowed to her adopted parents, then followed her out.

So I am a princess? Maybe dreams do come true. But even then, I wasn't hoping for that dream to come true this way.

I'm going to miss appa and omma. But as long as they can live in a better place, I'll try to be happy and go.

Hopefully, I won't regret this choice.