Dinner Turns Weird

From "Pauperess" to Princess ♛

"See, Miss Jieun," Leeteuk said once they left the secret game room. "The masters aren't bad people."


"Well, I guess. Other than Key-ssi and sorta Minho-ssi, they seem pretty friendly..." Jieun replied.

"Master Minho has his reasons. Around a year ago, his girlfriend hurt him terribly, so he isn't too trusting of the female kind," Leeteuk explained.

"What happened?"

"That, I'm not too sure of myself. But the fact that he laughed at your comment earlier, is already extremely surprising. Normally, Master Minho ignores girls completely."

"Oh, I see..." I wonder what the girl did that made Minho-ssi so distrusting. It must have been something really bad...

Leeteuk glanced at his smartphone to read a message and check the time. It was 5:37pm.

"Miss Jieun, since it's already fairly late, there won't be time for me to show you around," he said.

"Show me around?"

"Yes, the estate is huge, so we ordered a gps unit for you until you are comfortable with everything. However, it won't come until the day after tomorrow."

"Oh, thanks. But I don't think that will be necessary," Jieun replied.

Leeteuk politely waved his hand, indicating that she shouldn't argue.

"It's your grandfather's request. And speaking of him, Wang likes eating dinner promptly at 6:30."

"6:30? That's pretty early," she commented.

"Is that too early for you, Miss? You may request to change the time. Is 7:00 fine?"

"Ah, I'll just eat dinner at 6:30."

"All right then. I have some business that I need to take care of, so I'll call someone to take you to your room. Please wait here for a moment, Miss."

Leeteuk bowed and with that, he briskly headed off while typing on his phone.

A minute later, someone approached her.

"Is the little wittle princess lost?" the person asked in a mocking tone.

Oh no, it's Key! "What are you doing here, Key-ssi?"

"Leeteuk hyung called me to bring you to your room. Such a nuisance. You can't even find your way around." Key rolled his eyes.

"It's only my first day here!" Jieun angrily retorted.

"It might be your last day here as well," Key added with gleaming eyes.

Another prince approached her.

"Key, Leeteuk hyung told you to show the princess to her room. Not socialize," Jonghyun reprimanded.

"Whatever, hyung. It doesn't matter." Key shrugged in a careless manner.

"But if Wang hears about this, my friend, what do you think will happen?"

Key stiffened. "I...don't care," he replied.

"Sure you don't," Jonghyun said sarcastically.

Then to Jieun, "Princess, I'll bring you to your room. Come."

Jonghyun grabbed Jieun's hand and gently pulled her toward her room.

When they were out of Key's earshot, Jieun asked, "What's his problem?"

"Princess, who are you talking to?" Jonghyun replied.

"Jonghyun-ssi. I mean, o-oppa?"

"That's better, princess." He winked. "Now about Key-"

"Wait, why do you call me 'princess'? I have a name you know," Jieun slightly pouted.

"Aw, you look cute when you do that," Jonghyun commented with a smile.

Jieun blushed a little. She had never had a boyfriend before, so this was the first time a guy called her cute.

"Aw, you're blushing too!"

She quickly covered her cheeks.

"I-Is it that obvious?" Jieun quietly asked.

Jonghyun laughed and nodded. "And I call you princess, just 'cause it seems to suit you. A pretty, little, innocent girl. Princess."

"Oh, I see. So you aren't trying to flirt with me?"

He laughed again. "Princess, you're a funny one. I only flirt with normal girls."

"So you think I'm weird?"

"Nah, you are a special one. We've only met for a short time, but I already think of you as my little sister. Think of me as your big brother. Is that okay?"

Jonghyun oppa seems like a really good person. It would be nice to have someone to support me, especially since I feel so out of place here. That's what siblings do, right? Support one another.

"Sure, oppa!"

"Great. Let's head to your room now, 'kay?"

"Araso, oppa.

"It's the biggest bedroom on the first floor. I'm sure you'll love it! I think you'll have time to explore your room and part of the estate after dinner."


After Jonghyun dropped Jieun off outside of her room, she was met by several maids.

"Annyeong haseyo, Miss Jieun!" They bowed.

"Annyeong." She bowed back, slightly confused by their presence.

"We are here to help Miss get ready for dinner with Wang and the SHINee Princes," one maid stated.

"Get ready?"

"Yes, dinners here are normally formal. An outfit has already been picked out for you, Miss," another said.

"How long does it take to get ready?" Jieun inquired.

"At least half-an-hour, Miss."

The maid checked the high-tech electronic clock that was on the wall. "Oh no! It's already 5:50!" she exclaimed.

"We're sorry, Miss. But we have to hurry a bit. Will that be that fine?"

"Of course," she replied.

Jieun pressed some sensor that scanned her fingerprint. With a small beeping noise, the door unlocked.

The maids started to prepare a warm bath with foam and bubbles for her. They had Jieun wash and use a sugar scrub on her skin.

After that, they brought her a pretty pink dress and shoes. When she had finished wearing the items, the maids sat Jieun down, fixed her hair, and did her makeup and nails.

"You look fit to be the princess, Miss Jieun," the elderly head maid told her. "So beautiful and pure."

"Thank you, ahjumma," Jieun sweetly replied.

"You're welcome. Let's see, twirl for me, Miss."

Jieun did and the maids swooned.

"Perfect. I believe that you're ready to dine with Wang and the princes."

"But to be honest, ahjumma, I'm a bit nervous. My manners might be different than theirs. And-"

"Nonsense, Miss. You'll be fine," the maid replied.

Another maid checked the time. It was already 6:23 pm.

"We'll be taking you to the dinning room now. Please follow us."
 
They led her out of her room, past many doors and hallways, and past many workers. Then, they stopped at a huge pair of wooden double doors. 
 
Two guards stood at attention on either side. When they saw Jieun and the maids appoach, the guards bowed, then pulled open the doors. 
 
"Miss Jieun is here!" the head maid announced. 
 
The SHINee Princes were sitting in their formal attire before hearing the announcement. But upon Jieun's arrival, they stood up in respect. 
 
"Jieun, you're here! You look absolutely amazing!" Wang exclaimed happily as he stood up from the head seat. 
 
Then to SHINee, "Don't you agree? My Jieun is gorgeous."
 
"Yes, Wang," replied Jonghyun. "Princess looks fantastic tonight."
 
The others nodded and Jieun smiled sheepishly.
 
She...really does look...good, thought Key. And her smile...I've never seen such a beautiful one...
 
"Pst, Key," whispered Onew. 
 
"Huh?"
 
SHINee had already sat back down, but Key hadn't noticed while he was staring at Jieun.
 
"Dude, you're still standing and your eyes look like they're gonna fall out," whispered Jonghyun.
 
Key immediately plopped down. His face turned a slight shade of pink. Key, you're so stupid! She isn't even that pretty...
 
"Key hyung, you look embarrassed!" teased Taemin.
 
"Shut up, kid."
 
"I'm not a kid!"
 
"Stop fighting!" Onew whispered. 
 
The only open seat was the one directly across from Wang, but next to the princes. Jonghyun and Key, to be exact.
 
Jieun sighed. I only hope he doesn't ruin dinner, too. 
 
"Let's start eating!" Wang announced.
 
The chefs brought over large platters of steaming food. They laid out many delicious-looking appetizers and main dishes. Then they served them strawberry smoothies.
 
"Jieun, please eat whatever you want. If there's anything more that you'd like, don't hesitate to request it," Wang told her.
 
"Yes, Grandfather," she smiled.
 
"Pig," whispered Key.
 
Jieun kicked him from under the table.
 
"Argh!" 
 
"What happened? Are you all right?" Wang asked from the other end of the table.
 
"Ah, y-yes. Sorry," he replied.
 
When Wang wasn't looking, he glared at Jieun who had a 'Ha!' look on her face. Then he lightly kicked her back, careful not to hurt her much.
 
But Jieun didn't even flinch. 
 
"You kick like a wimp." She smirked ever so slightly. 
 
That's because I didn't want to hurt you and make you cry!
 
Key wanted to voice his thoughts, but his pride stopped him. 
 
Instead, he said, "Kick? I didn't kick anyone. I just moved my foot and accidentally bumped into something. You thought I'm petty enough to kick you back? Please. Give me a break." Then he rolled his eyes. 
 
"Key..." Onew warned quietly.
 
Key just rolled his eyes again and quickly gobbled up his food.
 
"Wang, I'm stuffed," he said. "May I be excused?"
 
Leeteuk spoke up, "But dessert hasn't been served yet, Master Kibum."
 
"Doesn't matter. I'm done." Done with eating with such a distracting person.
 
"Fine, fine. Leave," said Wang.
 
"Thank you."
 
"But Key..."
 
"Yes, Wang?"
 
"I'm having SHINee move downstairs. All your stuff has been moved already."
 
"What? Why?"
 
"And, since you don't seem to want to spend time with her now, I'm having you move into the room right across from Jieun's."