The Reason for Marriage, in SHINee's Eyes

From "Pauperess" to Princess ♛

The princes (other than Key, who just looked annoyed) glanced at each other nervously.

"We don't know exactly how to tell you this, Jieun," started Onew.

"Why?" Jieun's eyes widened. "Is it...something bad?"

"To most people, probably not. But to you..." Jonghyun trailed off.

"You might find it a bit of a problem," finished Taemin.

"Hm, so what is it?" Jieun asked anxiously.

"Uhh..." Onew hesitated.

"Just cut to the chase, you idiots." Key rolled his eyes.

"Jieun...Sorry, but..."

"You might have to marry Key," Minho finished.

Jieun was silent for a moment as she processed the information.

Then...

"WHAT?!"

SHINee flinched and covered their ears in surprise.

Ow, this tiny girl sure can scream!

"ME?! M-M-M-M-MARRY...KEY-SSI?!?!?!" 

"Princess, calm down!"

"Why? No. No way. I don't want to! I won't! No no no!"

Jonghyun grabbed Jieun's arm to stop her tantrum.

"Princess, care to hear an explanation?" Onew asked.

Jieun nodded furiously. She crossed her arms and waited for him to begin.

"We've all been living at Wang's estate for at least 13 years. When SHINee was a group of five or six-year-olds, Wang contacted our parents who were friends of your late parents."

"Wang told our family members that he was searching for a future husband for you and heir to his company. It had been three years after your disappearance. Even then, Wang still didn't give up hope."

"Of course, they all agreed. I mean, for one, they knew that your parents would have wanted them to do it. For two, they may have wanted a higher status. And for three, our parents knew that if they refused, Wang would have probably made them do it anyway."

"So on some random day, we were gathered together into a limousine. Then we were driven alone to the estate."

"Back then on that car ride, we were all scared poopless!" added Taemin.

"Hey, watch the language!" admonished Onew.

"But I didn't say anything bad!" Taemin protested.

"But it still meant the same as the actual word!"

"Sorry, hyung!"

"Anyway," Jonghyun continued. "SHINee was brought into Wang's office. We were bawling and crying for our 'mommy and daddy' to take us back home."

"Only one of us stayed calm. Key. He was disappointed and annoyed all right, but there weren't any traces of tears."

"Hyung's eyes didn't water. Not even one bit!" Taemin exclaimed.

"Way to make the rest of us sound like a bunch of little crybabies, kid." Jonghyun rolled his eyes.

Onew sighed. "I'm the one telling the history here. Not you, Taemin. Or you, Jonghyun."

Taemin sighed and Jonghyun crossed his arms while rolling his eyes.

"So these past 13 years, we were tutored with the highest education possible. We were taught the way a future successor was taught. We were forced to memorize facts, dates, any type of useful information."

"Of course, we did complain. But Key, he never did in front of the tutors or Wang. He probably did complain, but no one ever caught him."

"Key learned things the fastest. You know, he is fluent in Korean, English, Japanese, and Chinese! He also knows some French and Spanish. It's crazy!"

"Somehow, his memory is a Loy better than ours, too! He has memorized 100 pages of a boring history textbook in one hour!"

"It takes me to just read 100 pages in an hour," grumbled Taemin.

"Wang also trusts Key with the most work in his company. Wang has Key attend a lot of meetings and talk to foreigners the most."

"And they all love him. The company staff, the foreign business partners, basically everyone."

Jonghyun spoke, "A lot of us think that Wang chose Key from the beginning. When he didn't wimp out and cry, when he didn't grumble about the learning..."

"So that's why you might have to marry Key hyung!" Taemin concluded.

Then he added, "His personality shouldn't matter too much, right? I mean, hyung is pretty attractive for any girl! And he can cook pretty well, and his fashion sense is he best, and-"

"Shut up, Taemin."

"Yes, Key hyung!"

Jieun pondered the information.

"Is there any way I can get out of marrying him?" She asked Onew.

He hesitated. "Well...if you marry a different SHINee prince..."

"S-So, it has to be one of you guys?"

They nodded.

"That's unfair!"

"Sorry, Princess."

"I'm talking to Halapoji!" She stormed out of Key's room and slammed the door.

I hope she can change Wang's mind, thought Key. I really hope so.