Meeting Grandfather

From "Pauperess" to Princess ♛

Key waved his hand as if he was shooing or dismissing them. "Go, go. It is better to determine if she's fake while it's still early. We wouldn't want to raise her hopes."

Then he leaned in, quickly turned his face right, and brushed past Jieun. Key made sure that his left arm bumped into her. He cooly walked away.

"Y-Yah!"

Leeteuk tried to calm her down. "Miss, remember, Wang still wants to see you."

Jieun nodded, still glaring at Key's back.

After the incident, Leeteuk brought Jieun to Wang's office.

He knocked on a ornately decorated double-door. "Wang, Miss Minhee is here."

After a brief half-second of silence, a voice replied, "Come in."

Wah! Was that my grandfather's voice? Jieun wondered.

Leeteuk carefully pushed open the door.

Jieun could only see the back of her grandfather's head because he was standing, facing a large window.

"Wang, your long lost granddaughter," he announced.

Jieun's grandfather slowly turned around. He gasped. I believe I have finally found her! She looks so much like her mother.

"Minhee-ah?" he asked.

"Uhh, annyeong haseyo. I'm Lee Jieun." She bowed.

"My Minhee! The resemblance is too great. I can't believe I've found you! This is one of the best days of my life! Come here, Minhee-ah. Come to your halapoji (grandfather)." Wang smiled like never before.

"Yes, Wang," she replied.

"No need to be formal, Minhee dear. I hope that in time, you will be able to be comfortable around me and the people here."

"Yes, h-halapoji. I hope so too. But may you call me Jieun?" She inquired.

"But sonnyeo (granddaughter), Shin Minhee is the name you were originally born with. Not Lee Jieun."

"But halapoji, I'm more comfortable with being called Jieun. Please? Don't you want me to be happy here? Please halapoji? Please?" She pouted cutely.

It took a lot of effort for anyone to resist Jieun's charms. Her aegyo worked even on her grandfather whom she had just met.

"Araso, araso, Jieun-ah. But I'm afraid that it'll take quite a long time for me to get accustomed to your name, dear."

"It's no problem, halapoji! Thank you!" She smiled brightly.

"I missed you so much, Jieun-ah. So so much. I'm so happy that you're safe and sound."

"I'm happy too that I can get to meet you. But halapoji, where are my parents?"

Wang was silent for a moment. Then he quietly said, "They passed away, Jieun-ah."

"H-How, halapoji? What happened?"

Wang sighed and began the story:


"Yeobo! We must find our Minhee!" Madam Shin was crying again.

They had received more false information on their daughter's whereabouts. The couple got more and more disheartened each time they checked the location.

"Dear, we WILL find her one day. Don't worry," Master Shin comforted her. He pat her back slowly.

Madam Shin's phone vibrated. She quickly grabbed and read it.

"Yeobo! We might find Minhee in Busan!" she exclaimed.

Master Shin quickly scanned the message. He too, got excited. "Hurry, let's go!"

They scribbled a short note telling those at the mansion their little journey. Then Madam and Master Shin started to drive off to Busan.

An hour later, the current manager (who wasn't Leeteuk's father as he had died in the kidnapping) received a message from the police. Madam and Master Shin had met with an accident on the highway.

The manager informed Wang about the incident. Wang flinched at the bad news but remained otherwise expressionless.

"Take me to them," he commanded.

At the hospital, the doctors said, "Wang, we have already tried our best. Master and Madam were already gone when they were brought here. We are extremely sorry." They bowed and walked away.

"And my Minhee?" he asked the manager.

"Still not discovered, Wang."


Wang clenched his fists and walked off into the distance, brooding. 


"But I'm glad that now, you're here to stay at the estate. I'm so happy!"

"Halapoji, I'm also glad. But can my adopted parents live here too?"

"Absolutely not!" exclaimed Leeteuk. "When they adopted you so many years ago, they paid money. It's illegal to buy a baby."

"But-" Jieun protested. But earlier, you said...

"I can see that they treated you well, so I won't press charges against their actions," Wang decided. "You will be allowed to visit them sometimes, Jieun-ah. So don't worry."

I won't be able to see them too often? How will they manage? Jieun wondered.

"Besides, they're getting a nice mansion near the estate to live in. Miss Jieun, your adopted parents will be fine."

Oh yeah, I forgot about that... "Araso then," she slowly said.

Wang smiled. "Then it's settled!" he exclaimed joyously. "Leeteuk, please take Jieun to meet the princes."

"Ah, no thanks," she protested, thinking of Key.

"Yes, Wang." Leeteuk bowed. "Let's go, Miss Jieun."

When they were out of the office, Leeteuk said, "Normally, Master Kibum isn't rude or cold at all. On his behalf, I appologize for his immature behavior. But I'm sure that you'll like the other princes, Miss Jieun."

"Fine." She sighed. "Let's just get this over with."