She Wants to be a Princess

From "Pauperess" to Princess ♛

If only I could live happily ever after. If only I could have my own prince, dreamt Jieun as she rested her soft cheek against the smooth desk. It'd be just like a Korean fairytale drama!

There would be a fine palace full of breathtaking rooms and-

"Lee Jieun!" her teacher angrily called, waking her from the sweet dream. "Were you paying any attention at all to the lesson? This is English class, not nap time."

Jieun flinched a tiny bit when his words brought her back to reality.

Shoot, she thought. Did he catch me sort of, sleeping?

"Uh yes, Mr. Park," Jieun quickly replied. "I was paying very close attention."

"Hmm." He was extremely doubtful of her reply. "Then please tell me, what does a waiter or waitress in America do first in a restaurant? Answer in English."

America? Does the waiter greet the customers first or ask how many people are there? It could be either, right? Aish! I'll just guess and hope I get lucky.

Jieun spoke in unaccented, but hesitated English. "In America, a waiter... or waitress first... greets the... customers?"

"Amazing, you're correct. Thank you, Lee Jieun. But, please do pay more attention next time. If I catch you off in your own world again, it's detention during lunch and after school. Understand?"

"Y-Yes, Mr. Park," she answered with a timid smile.

A while later, the bell rang and English class was out. It was now lunch.

"Yay! Freedom!" exclaimed Jieun happily as she plopped down on the cool grass in the quad.

Suzy, one of her best friends who was also in Jieun's English class, tsked loudly and joined her.

"Hey," she greeted. "Were you daydreaming about living like a princess, again?"

"Yup!"

Thunder, her other friend, shook his head. "You'll fail university if you only think about that during every single class." He lightly flicked her forehead.

"No! I'll pass! You just watch, oppa!"

"Just because you're on a full scholarship doesn't mean you're like Albert Einstein," Suzy lectured.

"Your scholarship might get taken away if your teachers catch you sleeping in class," added Thunder.

"No! I'll be fine!"

"Sureee," Suzy and Thunder chorused in unison.

"I'm just so tired!" Jieun exclaimed loudly.

"Why, what's wrong?" asked Suzy concernedly.

"You know, the usual, plus two extra hours. My job ended at 10:30 pm last night. So so tired!" Jieun sighed loudly.

"You're already on a scholarship. Your dorm fee, book fee, food, and tuition are already covered by Seoul University. Why do you still need to work?" questioned Thunder.

"The university only covers lunch, not breakfast and dinner. Besides, I need to make money so umma and appa can move into a better place," Jieun replied.

"Jieun is so considerate," Thunder mused.

"Well, it's not my fault that you and your stubborn family won't accept money or at least an apartment from my family," Suzy friend gently.

"Yeah, but as I mentioned before, our family wants to only own things that we actually earned ourselves." Jieun sighed again.

"Aish," sighed Suzy. "Thunder oppa and I should come more often and help you out. You'll probably kill yourself if you continue living this way."

Thunder nodded dramatically, trying to be humorous. 

They all laughed and finished eating their lunches.