A Day at the Beach Part 1

Being Loved Isn't Always a Good Thing

I'm finally back after a long unexpected hiatus! Please don't kill me >< I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while. I suddenly became busy with numerous things so I didn't have time to write. I'm taking summer classes but they'll be over in about 2 weeks so I'll definitely be updating a lot next month. After listening to EXO and watching various interviews and fancams, I decided to change the storyline and character personalities up a little bit. I'm not going to rewrite the first few chapters since the personalities of the EXO members weren't exactly established completely. Anyways, enough of my rambling. Here's the next chapter. Please comment and subscribe!

----------------------

 

Haeyoung’s POV

Before I knew it, Saturday was here! I happily woke up at 10 am and went downstairs to eat breakfast. Then, I watched TV for a while until it was noon. I decided to get ready and went upstairs to choose my outfit.

I made sure I packed sunblock, sunglasses, and some earphones. Just then, my phone rang. It was Kai.

“Yeoboseyo?” I answered.

“Haeyoung! We’re outside!!!” Kai yelled loudly. I moved the phone away from my ear. Before I had a chance to scold him, he hung up. I sighed and got my belongings and went outside to meet them. Luhan was driving again while Sehun was in the front and Kai was in the back. Kai opened the car door for me and I scooted inside.

“Hey guys!” I greeted them happily. They all smiled and greeted me back. Then, we drove off to the beach.

On the way there, we somehow got onto the topic of our families. Luhan’s parents worked in business and he was an only child. They owned a chain of hotels throughout South Korea. Unfortunately, he refused to tell me exactly what hotels they owned. Sehun’s parents were regular middle-class parents. However, they lived a slightly above average lifestyle. His parents owned a small restaurant, which was the one we ate at before we went to Club NB. Although the restaurant wasn’t luxurious, it attracted a lot of customers, which allowed them to make a decent amount of money. He has a childhood friend (that he considers as his older brother) that is currently living in America. He talks to him every now and then and he really misses him. They practically grew up together. I told them about my parents, who also owned businesses of their own around the world. Because of their careers, they were constantly flying around the world in order to expand the company and conduct deals with other companies. Sadly, I was an only child as well. After a while, I realized Kai was silent.

“Kai, tell me about your family,” I told him. He looked at me with a blank expression on his face before Sehun kicked in.

“Uh h-hey guys! What do you want to do when, you know, when we get there??” He asked loudly. I ignored him and turned to Kai again.

“Do you have any siblings?” I asked. He shot me a glare and opened his mouth to say something before Luhan butted in.

“WE SHOULD DEFINITELY PLAY VOLLEYBALL! I HAVE A VOLLEY BALL IN THE BACK. KAI CAN YOU GET IT?” he yelled loudly. Why was everyone yelling so loud in the morning?! Kai turned around to look in the trunk of the car.

“Yah, hyung. There’s no volley ball here,” he replied.

Luhan scratched his head and nervously laughed. “Oh, I guess I forgot it…”

I tried one more time.

“Yah, why aren’t you replying to me?” I leaned in towards Kai. He quickly turned towards me and leaned in. Instinctively, I pulled back.

“I don’t have a family so stop asking me about them dammit!” he yelled. Then, he leaned back into his seat and resumed to stare out the window. I decided to not bother him for a while and looked out the window. In the front seat, Sehun and Luhan looked at each other before Sehun turned the radio on. Fortunately, Luhan started a conversation and the awkward silence faded away. Kai, however, still looked out the window, isolating himself from the conversation.

 

~~~~~~~

 

When we arrived at the beach, we looked around to find a nice spot in the sand to place our umbrella and our towels. We each put on sunblock and Luhan got the cooler from his trunk. Sehun started playing with sand while Luhan set up the umbrella. Kai and I laid out our towels. I walked over to the cooler and grabbed two drinks. I cautiously handed one to Kai and he took it without a word and walked away. I sighed and just decided to sit on the towel. Luhan sat down next to me and placed his arm around my shoulder.

“It’s okay, Haeyoung. Family is just a sensitive subject for him… He’ll get over it eventually,” he assured me.

“I know, but it’s the fact that I kept asking about it. He kept avoiding the question and I should’ve known. I should’ve stopped asking…” I pulled up my legs towards my chest, placed my chin on my knees, and closed my eyes. Sehun came to sit next to me as well and patted my back. I opened my eyes to thank him before I realized he was topless. I gave a girlish shriek and leaned back towards Luhan before I felt his skin as well. I turned towards him and noticed him shirtless as well. OMO OMO OMO! I covered my eyes as I started blushing and got up.

“I have to go, umm, over there!” I pointed to a random direction and started walking away. Why did they have to have such muscular bodies!? Darn my sensitivity to skinship…

 

Sehun’s POV

I watched Haeyoung walked away while Luhan and I chuckled. She’s so sensitive to skinship. It’s adorable! I lied down and Luhan followed suit.

“You know, I think I’m really starting to like her,” I confessed. Luhan turned his head towards me and scoffed.

“Good luck trying to win her,” he replied nonchalantly.

 

Kai’s POV

Somehow I ended up on a grassy hill with a large tree. I sat down in the shade and crossed my legs. I still had the drink that Haeyoung gave me in my hand. I opened it and took a sip. I set the drink down on the grass and positioned it so it wouldn’t fall. I leaned back and propped my self up with my elbows. The sun was high up in the sky so it must be around noon. I still had my shirt on and I was wearing swimming trunks. It’s too hot to go swimming… I sighed and laid my head down and closed my eyes.

The fight with Haeyoung popped up in my mind. I know I shouldn’t have yelled at her, but my family is something I really don’t want to talk about. I used to love my family. I had an older sister that would always take care of me. Even though she was a girl, she would play video games with me. She took care of me whenever my parents were out working, which was pretty much all the time. Her passion was to dance, even though my parents never approved of it. Usually we’d go to the dance studio and I’d watch her practice. She’d even teach me a few dances when she felt like it. My sister decided that college wasn’t her thing. She wanted to become an idol. She auditioned for SM, JYP and YG numerous times, but they never accepted her. And honestly, they missed out. However, she knew that my parents would flip if they found out she hasn’t been going to school. So, being a good little brother, I kept her secret. But one night, I woke up to find my sister and my parents arguing. Somehow, they found out that she had been lying to them. She had tears running down her cheeks as she tried to explain herself. My parents wouldn’t listen. They just kept yelling at her to leave. I stood there with my bedroom door open and witnessed my sister pack her bags while hysterically crying. Before she left, she took one last look at me and mouthed the words “stay strong”. I wanted to go after her and hug her, but I couldn’t. I was frozen. But I’ll never forget the look on her face. I’ll never forget the tears running down her cheeks or the painful expression she wore. I’ll never forget the way my parents acted as if nothing happened. And most importantly, I’ll never forget how much I hated my parents. My sister practically took care of me my whole life and they just kicked her out without a second thought. I spent months saving money and secretly planning where to go. After school finished for the year, I packed my bags and left without a word. I luckily stumbled across Sehun’s parents’ restaurant one night and met him and Luhan. At that time, I was still sleeping in cheap motels and ate only one meal a day due to my shortage on money. Sehun’s mother noticed my poor condition and offered to take me in their house for a little. His family helped me get back on my feet and generously bought me my own house without my knowledge. Ever since then, I’ve been doing street performances in order to make money to pay them back.

All of a sudden, I noticed it got darker. I opened my eyes and found Haeyoung looking at me from above with a worried expression on her face.

“Can I sit with you?” she quietly asked.

I sat up and patted the spot next to me. “Go ahead.”

She crossed her legs as she sat down and looked down at the ground. We sat in silence for a while until she spoke up.

“Kai, I’m really sorry about early. I shouldn’t have been so nosy about your personal life. I had no right ask you th-”

I kissed her on the cheek to shut her up. I pulled back from the kiss and saw her cheeks redden.

“I forgive you,” I simply said as I smiled to myself.