Scenarios.

Being Loved Isn't Always a Good Thing

 

Haeyoung’s POV

I wiped the tears off of my face and got up.

“I’m sorry about that…” I bowed towards the waitress.

I quickly ran to pick up the rings and put them in my pocket. I took my phone out and texted Seungwon to tell the driver to pick me up at the café. Then, I went outside and sat at a bench in front of the coffee shop.

The guilt started to consume me. I was lucky that Kai took it well. Really lucky. But with Luhan, everything went wrong. I decided to put myself in his shoes. To be honest, I would’ve been furious if I found out the girl I liked kissed one of my best friends, especially since that friend liked her also. I felt the rings in my pocket and felt even worse. I’ve never heard Luhan raise his voice. That smiling face was gone. I really hurt him, and I couldn’t forgive myself for it.

What now? I didn’t know how to choose who I liked. If I didn’t kiss Kai, I would’ve chosen silently after I got to know both of them more. Unfortunately, things had to turn out like they do in dramas, and now I’m stuck here.

I blew on my bangs. I suddenly saw a figure in front of me.

“Ms. Jin, there you are! I was worried sick. Follow me, the limo is over there.” The driver held out his hand. I took his hand and he led me to the limo. I should really start driving myself around. On the way home, I took out my phone. It’s time to put Sehun’s number to good use.

Haeyoung: Can you come over tonight? I need some company...

I put my phone down and looked out the window. In a few seconds, he replied.

Sehun: Sure. I'll be there in 10 minutes.

 

When I got home, I quickly changed, transferred the couple rings from the pocket of my uniform to the pocket of the clothes I had now, and went downstairs. I grabbed Kai’s bracelet off the kitchen counter and put it in my pocket as well. It somehow ended up on my floor yet again. I assumed it fell when he tripped over me and... yeah. The doorbell rang, interrupting my thoughts, and I went to open it.

“What happened?” he asked while he came in.

“I told Kai and Luhan.”

Sehun briefly looked at me and led me to the couch.

“Come on, tell me everything,” he said. I curled up in a ball next to the arm of the couch as he sat on my right, patting my back.

“Kai actually took it pretty well,” I started. Sehun’s eyebrows rose in surprise.

“Well, at first he was mad.”

“Ah, that sounds more like the Kai I know,” Sehun said. I chuckled at his comment.

“Yeah, but after a while, he understood where I was coming from and told me he knew that Luhan liked me. Then he said that he’d give me the space I needed to think about my feelings and that he’d be waiting for me,” I explained.

“Okay, so how did Luhan react?”

“Well, we went to the coffee shop and it didn’t end pretty…”

Sehun nodded sympathetically. “Details!” he yelled.

“Okay, okay! Yeesh. Well, first I gave him the couple ring back and told him I didn’t deserve to wear it. Then I told him Kai kissed me.”

“And then?”

“Well, he got angry because I decided to return the ring. He said that it was no good to give him something that would remind him of me and the possibility of me choosing Kai over him. He got up to leave and at that time, the drinks came. So he paid the money, ran off and threw our rings on the ground. At that point, the tears just came out. I had to apologize to the waitress and retrieve the rings before someone took them.” I bit my lip to fight back the tears that were threatening to resurface. Sehun started patting my back again.

“How did you get home? Aish, that Luhan. He can be such an angel but when he gets angry, there’s no stopping him…” Sehun shook his head.

“I texted my driver. Ugh, Sehun. Tell me what to do~” I groaned.

“Hey, I can’t decide who you end up with. That’s up to your heart.”

“You’re so cheesy!” I playfully hit him on the shoulder.

“I know I am,” he laughed.

“You know, I wonder how Kai found out about Luhan liking me,” I wondered.

“Actually, they both knew that the other liked you for a while now.”

“Really?” I looked at Sehun.

“Yeah. The first night we took you to Club NB was the night when we all said we liked you,” he explained.

“Wait, you like me!?” I yelled.

“I had a little crush, but I knew I shouldn’t get involved in this whole mess. From that night on, it was like a competition for your heart and I didn’t want to get dragged into the drama.” He rose up his hands in defense as he tried to calm me down.

“I see… So that means that Kai kissed me, even though he knew Luhan liked me!?” I asked in disbelief.

“Don’t forget, he also hugged you and kissed you on the cheek while Luhan kissed you on the forehead. And Luhan also took you out two times without telling us,” Sehun said matter-of-factly.

“Yah! How do you know all of this!?”

“They’re my best friends. How can I NOT know all of this!?” he defended.

“You have a point… Aish. I really don’t know what to do.” I scratched my head.

“Hmmm, I have an idea.” Sehun shifted to face towards me.

“Okay, close your eyes,” he ordered. I raised an eyebrow.

“Don’t worry I’m not doing anything funny! Just trust me on this,” he urged. I sighed and closed my eyes. After all, what do I have to lose?

“Fine. What now?” I asked.

“Okay, imagine you, Kai, and Luhan were on a highway. Kai is on one side of the road while Luhan is on the other with you in between them. Now picture a car coming at you, full speed. Which side would you jump to?”

“The side that’s closer.”

“What if they were both the same distance?”

“Then the side that the car is farthest from.”

“Aish Haeyoung!” Sehun scolded.

“What?” I yelled.

“Disregard any of the technical stuff! Which side would you jump to if you had to choose between Kai and Luhan?” he asked impatiently. I took a moment to think. Who would I jump towards?

“Ugh, I don’t know! Give me another scenario,” I said irritably as I closed my eyes again.

“Fine! Imagine if they were both in a hospital due to an accident. Who would you visit first?” Sehun inquired.

“Who ever is closer to where I’m at.”

“They’re both in the same hospital.”

“Fine. Then I’ll visit who ever is on a lower floor.”

“OH MY GOSH. They’re both on the same floor with rooms right next to each other and both of the doors are the same distance from wherever you’re standing!”

I sat in silence and thought about it.

“I CAN’T DO THIS SEHUN!” I yelled. Seriously, these scenarios really . They didn’t help the decision process at all.

“You’re really hopeless,” Sehun stated.

“Yah! It’s really hard you know…” I pouted. Sehun sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

“Fine, last try.”

I nodded.

“Close your eyes again.”

I followed his order.

“Now, what can you think of that could happen that would make you really happy? It has to be realistic,” he asked calmly. I pondered for a little bit. The possibilities were endless.

“Mmmm, if my parents came home to spend a month with me,” I decided.

“Good. Now, imagine you came home from school one day. You carried on with your regular routine until your parents called you. You answered the phone and they told you the news that they were coming home to see you for a whole entire month.”

I smiled subconsciously at the idea.

“Who would you want to tell first?” Sehun nearly whispered.

I pictured myself doing a happy dance after my phone call with my parents. Then, I imagined taking out my phone and scrolling through my contacts and stopping on his name.

I suddenly opened my eyes and hugged Sehun.

“Thank you Sehun! Thank you so so so so sooooo much! You really helped me!” I squeezed him.

“Y-yah. H-haeyoung. C-can’t b-breathe,” Sehun mumbled. I quickly released him and pinched his cheeks.

“You’re a genius Sehun!” I squealed. He smirked and fixed his shirt.

“I know, huh?”

I giggled at his response and got up.

“Um, Sehun?”

“Yeah?”

“How do I tell them who I choose?” I asked innocently.

Sehun pouted and thought for a bit. He suddenly snapped his fingers and stood up in front of me.

“I got it! The winter dance is coming up! The theme is a masquerade. I’ll get them both to be in two different places of the venue and you’ll go to who ever you choose,” Sehun pointed at me with a smile on his face.

“Ugh, can I just tell them tomorrow at school!? This situation is too dramatic already.” I complained.

“That wouldn’t be very eventful. Just do as I say, arasso?”

“Fine, I’ll do it.”

“Looks like my work here is done,” Sehun said with a smile, obviously satisfied with himself. He got up to leave.

“You don’t want to know who I picked?” I asked.

“Nope! I want it to be a surprised,” Sehun responded. This boy is so silly!

“Okay,” I chuckled. “Do you want my driver to drop you off?”

“No, it’s fine. I can walk. But thanks anyways. I hope you chose well!”

“I know I did,” I reassured him.

“Good. Don’t talk to any of us until the dance, okay? I’ll convince them to go somehow. On the way to the dance, I’ll tell them what’s up and I’ll tell you who’s where. The rest is up to you.” Sehun said while he was putting on his shoes. This guy really has everything planned out. Kudos to you, Sehun.

“Yes, director.” I giggled. Sehun glared at me.

“Very funny, Haeyoung. Well, I’ll be going now, goodnight!” He waved goodbye and left the house.

“Goodnight Sehun. Thank you! I owe you one!” I yelled.

I quickly went upstairs and took the jewelry out of my pocket. I placed one in my back pack while I examined the other.

“I know I chose right. It’s just a matter of time.”

I placed the other item into my bag and hopped into my bed.