Let the Night Begin

Being Loved Isn't Always a Good Thing

 

I'm really sorry for not being able to update these past few days! I haven't had the will to write lately, but don't worry. I haven't given up on this story. Anyways, the dance is coming up next chapter! ;D I'm really excited to write it. I have 3 different scenarios in mind so it might take me a while to actually decide and write it out. I'm probably going to spend more time on the next chapter since it's an important one. This chapter isn't exactly exciting. It's more of a filler chapter. Sorry :/ But enjoy and keep the comments coming ^^

------------------------

 

Sehun’s POV

We were at Kai’s apartment watching a movie. The winter dance was next week and I still needed to convince Luhan and Kai to go. When the movie was over, I decided to take that time to tell them about it.

“So uhm, guys. It’s been a while since we went out,” I started.

“Yeah, well there’s not really anything interesting to do,” Kai stated as he switched the DVD with another one..

“We practically did everything there is possible to do in Seoul,” Luhan added.

“Well, the winter dance at school is coming up…” I quietly said. I wasn’t sure how they were going to react to this since we never really went to school events, so I had to be careful with my words.

“And? It’s not like we’ve went to any of those things before,” Luhan bluntly said.

“Aw, come on! I heard the theme is a masquerade. Doesn’t that sound cool? We can talk to people without them knowing who we are. Plus it’s your last year, Luhan. Don’t you want to go to at least one of these things?”

“A masquerade, huh?” Kai asked.

I nodded and looked at Luhan to see his reaction.

“It is my final year…” Luhan mumbled. “When is it?” he asked. I silently cheered and tried to prevent a smile from forming on my lips.

“Next Friday. You guys have tuxes right?” I asked.

“Of course we do! What kind of men would we be if we didn’t own tuxedoes?” Kai teased. Sure, we were ‘men’ alright. Men that still lived with our parents, had no jobs, and couldn’t drive. Well, except for Luhan.

“I was just making sure.”

“But what are we going to do about the masks?” Luhan asked.

“Don’t worry, I already got my friend to make them. They’re at home. I’ll give them to you the night of the dance,” I informed them. That reminded me, I had to give Haeyoung her mask. I begged my friend to make it extra pretty because I knew it would make her happy. I was still curious as to who she chose, but I decided to not ask her to keep it a surprise for all of us guys.

“So you knew we were going to agree, huh?” Kai chuckled. I excitedly nodded and earned a laugh from them. What can I say? I really wanted to go to the dance. Not only because Haeyoung would be making her decision then, but also because I haven’t went to a school event ever. I needed a change for once.

I laid back onto the couch as the next movie began.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Haeyoung’s POV

The day before the dance, I was starting to get really nervous. Like, really nervous. I don’t know why, but I was never that good at confessing to someone. I’d usually get tongue-tied and everything that came out of my mouth ended up being irrelevant. I could never confess to someone like in those dramas on TV. As much as I tried, I always ended up embarrassing myself. One time, the guy didn’t even realize I was speaking the same language as him. That was a horrible memory.

 

Afterschool, Sehun caught up with me before I left.

“Hey, where’s your driver?” he asked.

“I decided to walk today. I needed a way to shake the nerves before tomorrow,” I replied.

“I see, I see,” Sehun nodded. “Well, here’s your mask,” he said as he took a box from his backpack. Sehun handed me a white box tied with a ribbon.

“Why is the box so fancy?” I asked. It was just a mask, after all.

“It matches the mask." Sehun winked.

I gave him a questionable look, confused as to what he just said.

“You’ll see. Don’t open it until you get home, okay?”

“Fine fine fine.” I carefully placed the box into my backpack.

“Well, I’ll see you later then. My house is in the other direction. Goodbye, Haeyoung!” Sehun called as he ran the other way. That boy was always in a hurry.

I continued walking home by myself on the sidewalk. I was just about to put in my earphones when a car honked from the street. I turned my head and saw Luhan in the driver’s seat, driving slowly next to me. He rolled down the passenger window and leaned towards me.

“Hey, do you need a ride?” he called. Crap. I wasn’t supposed to talk to him until tomorrow.

“Uh, no thank you. I decided to walk home today,” I mumbled.

“But it’s about to rain,” Luhan mentioned. I looked up at the sky and realized he was right. The sky was filled with gray clouds and the sun was nowhere to be seen. I knew I should’ve bought an umbrella last week.

“Come on, get in,” he said as he stopped the car and unlocked the door. Seeing as I pretty much had no other choice, I opened the passenger door and got in.

“Thank you.”

“No problem.”

The ride home was pretty silent, except for the radio. Luhan kept one arm on the steering wheel and his eyes on the road. Every now and then, I’d steal glances at him. It’s been so long since I’ve had an up-close view of him. As the ride went on, I felt the awkward atmosphere in the car grow more… well, awkward.

“So, are you going to the dance tomorrow?” Luhan asked.

“Yeah. Are you?”

“Against my will, yes I am,” he replied. I smiled at his response, knowing it was Sehun’s persuasion that got him to go.

“I guess I’ll see you there then,” I said.

“Looks like you will,” he replied.

Just then, we arrived at my house. I quickly thanked Luhan and got out of the car before he had a chance to say something else. I covered my head and dashed to my front door and didn’t look back until I was inside my house. It was hard to see because of the rain, but I could’ve sworn Luhan was sulking. I shut the door, dropped my backpack off on the floor, and went upstairs to change out of my uniform. I rushed back downstairs and took out the box with the mask. I quickly opened the box and unveiled the mask.

When I saw the mask, I let out a gasp and put my hands to my face. The mask was absolutely beautiful. It definitely matched my dress and was breathtaking, as Sehun had promised. I let out a big grin and admired the mask for a few more seconds before I put it away in my room.

The butterflies returned to my stomach. I decided to finish my homework to take my mind off of the dance. Obviously, it didn’t work. However, I finished my homework early and was left with a few hours left to do anything.

I decided to just watch TV with Seungwon. Just then, an idea popped up in my head.

“Hey, Seungwon, I have a favor to ask you.”

 

Sehun’s POV

I was at home playing Diablo III when I felt my phone buzz.

Haeyoung: I’ve set up a limo to pick you guys up for the dance tomorrow. Don’t worry, I won’t be in there with you guys. You’re the only one that rode in the limo with me, so the other two shouldn’t know I sent it. The driver will pick you up first since he’s only been to your house. Just tell him where Kai and Luhan’s houses are. Think of it as a thank you gift. Be ready tomorrow at 7pm and don’t be late!

I smiled before replying with a long thank you text and returning to my game.

Tomorrow was going to be memorable.

 

Haeyoung’s POV

“Thank you Seungwon!”

“No problem, Ms. Jin. As long as I get to drive your car, that’s reward enough,” Seungwon replied smugly. I laughed at his response. My phone buzzed and I checked to see who it was.

Kai: Hey Haeyoung… You’re going to the dance tomorrow, right?

Haeyoung: Yes sir. Are you?

Kai: Really? That’s good. Yeah, I am. See you on the dance floor!

I decided against replying back because one, I didn’t want to start a full-blown conversation with Kai and two, there wasn’t really much I could say back to that.

It was getting late, so I bid Seungwon goodnight and retreated to my room. I glanced at the two pieces of jewelry before placing them on my dresser.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Next morning, I quickly got ready for school and glanced at the jewelry on my dresser. I smiled to myself after being reminded of the dance that night, and quickly dashed out of the house.

I decided to walk to school again to calm my nerves. Thankfully, I didn’t bump into any of the guys on the way there. While I was sending Seungwon a text on the way to homeroom, I accidentally bumped into someone.

“Oops, I’m sorry!” I quickly apologized. I looked up and realized it was just Sehun.

“It’s okay Haeyoung,” Sehun calmly said before walking away. I walked towards homeroom with a frown on my face. Why was he walking in the other direction anyways? Probably going to see Luhan or something. My back suddenly felt itchy, so I decided to scratch it. Just then, my hands felt something stuck to my back. It was a sticky note.

Sorry I can’t say this in person, but good luck tonight, Haeyoung. And thanks for the limo!

- Sehunnie

I might be wrong, but I had a feeling Sehun bumped into me on purpose. I stuck the note inside my notebook and hid my smile when I sat in my seat. When Sehun came in, I tried my best to avoid eye contact or else I would’ve laughed out loud. That goofball was always good at making me feel better, even if we weren’t supposed to be talking.

 

School quickly flew by that day. That was probably because none of the students were really paying attention with the winter dance on their minds and neither were the teachers. Everyone was buzzing with excitement while I was feeling a mix of nervousness, excitement, and anxiety.

I quickly rushed home and took a shower, eager to get ready. When I got out, I found a pair of white gloves on my bed that extended to my elbow. Looks like Seungwon got my text this morning.

I put on my undergarments and wore a robe before working on my makeup. Sure, the dance was a masquerade and we probably wouldn’t see anyone’s faces for long, but I was sure I’d be showing my face sometime during the night and I didn’t want to look plain compared to what I was wearing.

After finishing my makeup, I put on my dress. I slipped on the piece of jewelry that belonged to him and put my gloves on. I placed the other piece of jewelry in the clutch along with my cell phone and house keys.

Finally, I took out the mask and put it on. I looked at myself in the mirror before letting a smile slowly spread across my face. I was satisfied with the way I looked. I just hoped he would be pleased with how I looked too.

I went downstairs and called Seungwon. He was wearing his tuxedo, as usual. This was probably the last time I'd allow him to wear a tux. After slipping into my heels, I got in the car with Seungwon and we headed to the masquerade.