TO LOVE OR NOT

BUTLER FOR HIRE - ANYONE?

Amber's Hospital room

"Where the heck is Amber???"

Krystal screamed it out loud.

She was now confused.

At first she was happy and excited to come here after the unexpected cancellation of classes since the science club accidently triggered a fire that burnt up 1/3 of the school's facilities.

The source was a large leftover of fireworks after the festival.

Krystal was happy for the first time to have cancelled classes since she can visit her beloved lover but seeing no Amber made her furious and frantic.

"We heard someone scream. Is there - " Key who came in running stopped once he saw the empty hospital bed.

"Where is she?? Key oppa do you know any of this?"

"I swear young agassi. I do not know where Amber is nor how this came to happen when we have tight monitoring 24/7 of her condition," he explained.

Krystal stood there in shock.

She could not believe that Amber left and without a word.

* KNOCK KNOCK

"Excuse me miss Jung. There's a note left by her majesty specifically designated for your eyes only."

She grabbed the piece of paper which was written in the familiar handwriting of her butler.

Clutching it, she dropped to her knees and started crying.


Bit by bit tears fell down.


The sobbing got louder as each minute passed by.


She felt more than hurt.


The feeling of unbearable sadness and loneliness.

It was about to engulf her.


They all left Krystal in the room for some time with her self then the door bursted open after an hour or so.




Glancing up, she saw Key.

"Young agassi, we just received news that Amber is now boarding the royal plane bound for China."

There's still hope at the back of her head.

Krystal's eyes were bloodshot red but she tried her best to compose herself and wipe away the tears.

"How long do we have til it leaves?" Krystal asked while walking towards the car.

"Approximately 25 minutes."

Without second thoughts or questions, they understood each other as they left to try catching Amber's flight.

"Let's go."

"Yes agassi, I have coordinated a private from the police so we can reach in time."

Krystal only nodded as she entered the car.

JUNG MANSION

"Had she gotten tired of being in her room Key?"

"Sad to say but she won't even budge from her bed miss Jung."

"Any news from our informants?"

Jessica wanted to know.

"They are still working on it."


*FLASHBACK

Krystal was not much of an athletic type but she ran as fast as she can.

"Agassi, it's in hangar 7."

They ran for it.

Krystal stopped once she saw 'her'.

Her butler's all too familiar back was unmistakable and distinct.

It went inside the plane.

"Amber Liu!" She screamed her lungs out.

Amber still had gone inside though she heard the voice with a heavy heart.

It came from the person whom she loves.

She cannot turn around now.

'MIANHE PRINCESS.'

Krystal ran towards the plane but was stopped as royal guards prevented her from doing so.

The plane's door was about to shut.

"Amber Liu explain this! Am I worth anything to you at all?!? Why are you leaving all of a sudden??"

Krystal shouted in hopes that Amber could answer her.

But for her amidst deafening noise of planes it was too late.

The words might have not reached Amber's ears.

She saw Amber's face in one of the windows.


Not thinking right at the moment all Krystal could do was watch as the plane slowly moved until it took off.


She didn't remove her eyes from it even when it became a small object nearing the mountains.





But inside the plane Amber heard every single word of it.

On her mind she thought "If you only know how much of an everything you are to me. But this is the only way your grandmother sees and I also want my doubts answered if we could last together til forever ends. Mianhe princess but I want to prove my self to your grandmother. I believe in 'us' yet if it makes you change your mind about me and that sooner or later you'll find someone who could make you happy other than a 'girl' like me, I am more than willing to sacrifice my source of happiness for you."

*END OF FLASHBACK




"Although I don't like even one bit of it but I think I kinda understand why Amber is doing this."

Jessica quickly searched for the voice that said it.

"Seobang, you are here!"

Jessica shrieked out of joy and jumped a hug at her beau.

"Because I heard from a very reliable source that my wife-to-be is worried over her young sister that she even cancelled her very, very, I mean REALLY precious usual sleeping appointed time."

"Aww my seobang. You are sweet. But wait, why are you taking Amber's side and not my sister's??"

She shot her a deadly glare that many had cowered in fear in which Yuri just replied with a smile.

"Just because and before you start bugging me about it please understand that I will tell you everything in due time. Not now. Soon. You will see but trust me, okay?"

"No," Jessica said and started walking away.

Yuri slowly hugged her fiance from the back before she could take another step.

"Oh come on Sica. Please don't do this to me. Just trust me please. One thing is for sure, Amber loves your sister and that is why she is doing all of this. Though most see it as non sense and utterly unreasonable."

Jessica still did not move nor responded.

Yuri snuggled at her neck and said, "Please? Pretty please??? With your favorite strawberries on top. Plus, the fact that I love you and you love me including a little surprise I set aside."

The aegyo was too much but she can handle.

The word 'surprise' was what caught Jessica's attention.

Her seobang definitely knows how to handle her and she loves it.

"Argh! Okay! Okay! But this surprise better be good and that you will tell me that little secret reason you have underneath your sleeves or else - "

"I know. I know. Or else I will sleep on the couch for hell knows how long until you are satisfied my dear Sica."

Crap! She knows how to read my mind now? Better be careful from now on or she would know about how I so did not cook that breakfast in bed eggs I fed her this morning.

KRYSTAL's ROOM

KRYSTAL'S P.O.V.

I am still contemplating on whether or not to take the private plane, go to China and force the answer out of that 'AMBER JOSEPHINE LIU'.

*SIGH

And all she left was this stupid note.

I do trust her as much as I love her but why does she have to leave my side?

Can't she wait until like she could for goodness sake explain why she have to go to China?

Does she have to hurry in leaving Korea?

She is still not able to speak.

She might have difficult time there.

Someone might fall for her or worse - she might fall for someone!

"ARGH!!!!"

I shouted in frustration and punched the pillows on mu bed several times.

I will make sure she won't be able to -

She better not make none of those flirting moves she makes at school.

("Step by Me" ringtone playing)

Who the heck would be calling? I want my time alone!

My phone stopped ringing.

After awhile it rang again.

It is getting on my nerves.

I want to throw it but since it might be one of our associates.

Better answer it to be safe.

". . . ."

How dare you -

Oh no. Not that.

"Okay okay. You got me."

It was Amber.

She kept on bowing and showing me aegyo via video phone.

She has the worst yet most adorable aegyo that only I am privileged to see.

"Why did you -"

Somehow she expected my questionas she showed me what she wrote "First, mianhe my princess. In lieu of the events that happened and my lost voice, the citizens and political leaders in my country wanted me to be here to ensure the royal lineage. They are now planning the public announcement of my status as the legal royal heir. I really did not want you to hurt you through that harsh and abrupt leaving with nothing but a simple note."

(Bending the rules huh Amber? Don't mind me. Please continue reading. ^^)

Back to Krystal's point of view.

The last three words caught my tongue.

"Y-you are to be the n-next - "

Amber nodded her head up and down.

I am not shocked nor surprised but estatically happy.

My Amber is going to be King soon and of course I will be the queen.

Unless, she takes a detour for some other girl and until hell makes popsicles out of lava there is no way that I would let that happen.

Now back to the video call.

"I'm happy for you Amber! Why didn't you just say so? I would have understood."

She raised an eyebrow.

"What? Are you seriously doubting that I am able to let you go there?"

She nodded a yes.

"Amber Josephine Liu, what makes you think I am an obsessive or overprotective girlfriend??"

I waited for awhile for she wrote something down.

She answered, 'Uhh. First, I did not say anything about you being obsessive or overprotective princess. I am just doubting whether or not you will trust me enough to take a flight alone to China and leaving you there in Korea.'

"What the - B-but-"

I could not finish my sentence as I read the words, 'I love you my princess. Remember what I wrote on that note please.'

She made another dorky aegyo and stupidest pout with puppy dog eyes.

"Aish! You are lucky you are this darn cute pouting or else I would have never picked up this call. By the way, I love you too."

She still have that dorkiest pearly white smile.

Luckily the blast did not let her teeth fall off from her gums.

If they did, oh well there is always the 'porcelain' option.

"Before I forget, Amber I want you to video call me often, okay? E-mail me or chat with me as often as you could. Twit me messages each day or each minute and if possible every second. We are friends on fb, right? Also -"

My words trailed off as I saw a dumbfounded Amber.

I forgot that I did not allow her to have any online accounts cause those crazy, spoiled, rich fangirls of hers are hell bent on communicating with her.

"O-okay. J-just video call me as often as you could please."

She smiled.

Then I read what she wrote.

"What's that? You will see if your schedule permits you to call me as much as I wished for? Why is that?"

I read again, "Oh. So you were tasked to complete your schedules that will groom you as the next in line for the crown? Wow. Okay, I'll understand and be patient with this but how long am I going to wait Amber?"

She was silent. Too silent that it's making me afraid.

Amber raised the board.

"What?!? You don't know how long you are stuck there Amber???? And your rough estimate is until we finish college?? But Amber that will take us years -"

'I know. Trust me princess, I don't like doing this to us especially to you but we have to suffer the miles we are apart. It is for our future that is if you still want to stay with a simple person like me after everything will be done.'

"What are you saying 'if I still want to stay'? Of course I will stay and to prove it to you, I will work and study hard here and after college. You better come back or else. I'll get tire of waiting Amber Liu."

'Yes princess.'

The rest of the video call continued for a few more minutes until Amber bid me a goodbye since she has to attend one of her schedules.

*SIGH

I want to go to China.

I need to go to China.

I want to be in China.

What if I pretend to be on some 'for business purpose trip' and just happen to pass by the Chinese palace?

But she told me not to go there since she will be very busy most of the time and if I do go there she said, no, I mean she threatened me to stay in Korea and study. If not, truckloads of cucumbers will be delivered and when that happens, I might die.

What if I let her do that?

She might come back running to my aide if I faint due to intoxicating green things called 'cucumbers' which by the way should be banned.

However, I better stay good since she promised me mangoes.

"Are you too immersed in your thoughts my lil Kryssie that you did not even hear me calling out your name?"

That voice.

It can't be.

"Grandma Nana!"

I hurriedly went off the bed and hugged her.

God, I miss my Grandma.

"Did I hear someone say Grandma's name?" Jessica unnie popped out of nowhere along with Yuri unnie at my door.

Unnie also did the same thing once she confirmed Grandma's presence.

"Here I am. Now would you be so kind enough to let this frail old lady take a breather and sit?"

We let go of Grandma and let her sit in my room's couch.

Yuri excused herself as she volunteered to get tea for us.

"Look Grandma! Yuri finally proposed to me!"

Unnie bragged about the big rock on one of her fingers.

Such a show off.

All the more I wanted Amber to be here.

She did not propose to me yet!

I think it would be a good consolation that we are engaged before she leaves me off for China.

"Yes. I am so happy for you my lovely Sica. Yuri is apparently making you happy and I want to see that," Grandma said as she smiled to unnie.

"However, I got to attend to your little sister first since she is the reason why I visited. Her self isolation as I have heard from your father is worrisome and coming from your Appa who knows how to exaggerately say things I came here. Seriously, your Appa does not know how to handle you girls especially when it comes to female matters."

We giggled at Grandma's disappointed expression about Appa.

We are always like this and I kind of miss it.

"So my lil Kryssie, tell Nana why you are doing this? I heard it's about a person named Amber leaving you."

Nothing does really escapes my Grandma's informants.

She has the best in the world especially if you once were a renowned world underground leader but of the good kind of course.

My grandma was like that if you believe it or not.

But she told us that after meeting our Grandpa, who went ahead in heaven (God, bless his soul), her life changed including her early retirement from underground activities.

As about the question, I looked into Grandma's eyes.

They were the same strong brown but gentle eyes.

"Neh. She left me here," I told her while pouting with crossed arms.

"So what is the problem with that my child?"

"Grandma! She did not explain everything to me. Though she did say something but it was not enough and she even prevented from going after her. Could you believe that Grandma?"

"My child. Is it too early and in haste that you just make up your mind and go after her?"

"But she needs protection and she just -"

"I know what happened. I also know that she lost her voice my child."

"All the more reason Grandma. I need to be there for her. She needs someone by her side."

"Are you not doing her not much credit my child? Can't she do it on her own? Won't she feel worthlessness if you are always there baby-ing her? My guess is that she also wants to prove something to you besides her worth my child."

". . . ." My Grandma analyzed what I could not.

It left me out of words.

"Now my child, I had spoken to her over concern for you and she asked me to give you this letter which she made for your upcoming birthday."

Grandma held out an envelope.

Since when where they able to know each other.

I accepted the letter and held it close to my heart.

"My lil Kryssie. Please do stop this seclusion in your own room and get yourself busy with things for the future or whatnot. If Amber knows how much you are neglecting your self won't she get sad or hurt?"

"Neh Grandma." My grandma is always right.

"Also about her voice being lost, don't give up hope for her. I heard the cause is trauma but I think it is more on self blame if you ask me. So if there's nothing else you'd like to talk about my lil Kryssie, I will go to my room. I will stay here for awhile until I see that you are going to get back on your own feet."

What? Was it an illusion or not?? Grandma is staying here??

"What's with the shocked face Jung Soojung?"

I snapped out of my trance and said, "Nothing grandma. It's just - it has been a long time since you stayed in our home."

She just smiled and slowly exited out of the door

Last time she stayed was when mother died and our house did not feel like a home at all.



AMBER's P.O.V.

I had just ended my video call with my princess.

Coming here to China under the public's radar is bothersome.

The palace staff bowed to whenever I passed by.

Since I am not used to it, I am a bit annoyed with all the bowing.

"Your young highness, here is your schedule for the day andfor the rest of the week. Her Majesty said that you will be home schooled starting tomorrow."

I nodded then she left.

*SIGH

Do I have a choice? This royalty thing is really new to me and I don't know if I am up to par with its standards.

Will I ever be enough?

Minho's words were echoing at the back of my head.

This would happen every now and then.

It's all my fault.

I am just too useless.

It seems that whenever I try to do something right is not enough.

Doing what they asked of me is not enough.

Being me as the next in line to the thrown might not be enough.

I did not choose this royalty thing but it apparently chose me.

"Amber my son."

I turned around and smile at the person calling me.

It's umma.

She is now calling me 'son' as her term of endearment to me and it never fails to make me smile a bit.

"Umma, are you not busy?" I wrote to her.

"When it comes to you, I am not. Donghae told me that you had that sad face after leaving Korea."

My heart got heavier and I ended up telling Umma about all of it.

In writing of course.

"I see. So you are in doubt of yourself then my son. You are confused and currently blaming yourself.a'

I just nodded.

"Amber, you can do it. All the unnecessary over thinking will only bring your mind turmoil and pain. That's why I am going to enroll you in kungfu classes. You will be homeschooled but at the shaolin temples in the North. There's a monk there who once trained your Father."

My father?

"Maybe then you will beable to get your inner peace my son and be as great as your father was to all who knew him."

'How about you umma? Won't you get lonely in a large place like this?'

"Don't worry about me. I can handle it. I have been handling it for years now. Also, since I am seeing you alive and well there is nothing that could make me sad."

She kissed my forehead as I leaned over to hug my mother.

It's warm.

A mother's hug is warm.


KRYSTAL'S P.O.V.

How come there is not much news on Amber?

A year has passed and still all I get is an hour video call and a snail mail.

Would you believe it?

Out of all the technology that China is capable of mass producing, she chose to write me a letter.

*SIGH

But I think it is quite romantic.

I just wished that the letter would be every day or every other day.

*SIGH

All she can ever do with her very busy schedule is an hour of video call and one snail mail a MONTH.

Good thing I can get busy with school or helping out with the family business.

I am bummed.



AUTHOR's P.O.V.

We shall skip the other details. Since I said so. ^^

A year has passed Kryber's love was still as strong as it could ever be.

Who would have thought that a letter a month keeps Jung Soojung's heart fonder of Amber?

That is the way it is.

Since I made it that way. ^^

Hehe.

Also, she thought Amber was being romantic.

Maybe? ^^

Anyway, the following years had gone by like the waiting is never there.

About Amber.

She did go to the shaolin temple but she was asked to shave her head.

Forgive me but I have to.

If it makes any compensation, Amber grew it back immediately. :D

Also it's a tradition which Amber herself willingly obliged.

There she trained and worked hard.

She passed a lot of tasks with large beads of sweat.

Her abs were forming all too well also. That is if you were wondering. :D


And about her inner peace with her self.

Well, one day as she was having her usual nightly gazing of the stars the head monk and mentor of her father sat beside her.

He knew that his student was having problems.

Who wouldn't?

Royalty + Being ruler soon + Same love (if it would last) = ??

There was a solution he knows that could help.

He gave her a diary.

Her father's diary.

It might not be much but the late King left it to his care ever since danger lurked around the royal lineage.

"I know it is not much but having known your father and how he is a loving and kind man I think this will let you see what it means to him if you follow his footsteps to become someone people are proud of because of how he simply is himself."

After Amber thank the headmaster.

She began flipping the pages.

Dear diary,

Appa made me the crown prince and I ran away to this temple for seclusion.

I did not want it. I just want to go back to my simple ways of helping people and seeing them smile after a good deed that you have made.

My brother would make a better king than me.

Me? I am not much.


That was what the first page contained.

Amber continued reading and it was then after a few more pages she learned how her father accepted to be the King of China.

It was because of her mother.

Dear diary,

You would not believe what I saw in the fields today.

The most beautiful and caring woman I ever met.

She was playing with the kids in town.

Until, some thugs appeared.

She shouted at them like a mother.

One of them slapped her but she did not fight back.

How dare they lay a hand on a woman!

They should be respected.

Then again, I was not expecting it but in a matter of seconds the thugs fell down.

And here I was.

Useless.

I wish I could get to know her better.


Amber chuckled at how her umma surprised her appa.

So she then continued reading.

Dear diary,

After months of practicing on how to ask her name, I finally got to know her.

Her name is Victoria.

A lovely name is it not? ^^

Actually, I was not looking much since I was into to much practicing my lines that I noticed someone was in front of me giggling and had answered my question as she gave me her name.

We talked eventually.

She told me that I was giving her the creeps.

She thought that I was some stalker follwing her around whenever time permits it.


Amber was now thinking that her appa might have been the usual timid boy.

Now moving on to the next one.

Dear diary,

I finally made a move!

A lot of guys though made a move on her.

I did tell you that she is beautiful right?

Anyway, I finally gave her a flower which I grew myself.

Yey me!

I'm pathetic aren't I?

I just don't know how to do romantic stuffs.

We talked a lot though.


Amber thought right about her father being timid.

Dear diary,

The thugs came back to make a revenge on Victoria for whooping their - you know.

Not unless I am there though.

I did not learn much kungfu so I am useless but I never gave up standing in front of Victoria no matter how many times I fell on the ground.

It was painful but I just cannot stand the strong bullying the weak.

They got tired in the long run and some towns people helped out after they heard a scream from Victoria.

She screamed because I passed out.

For a few days, I helped her around their house.

I felt being complete.

Days turned to weeks which became months then without noticing it much it had became a year.


Then someone found me.

It was father's personal assistant.

He told me father was getting weak.

It was all because of my brother.

Though there was not much evidence he suspected him of slowly poisining father.

I looked at Victoria.

She smiled but it was a sad one.

I then asked her to wait for me until I return.

Then I confessed that I love her.

That I could not stand of not having her as my other half.

I know diary that it is uncommon to marry a commoner but I love her.

Victoria said a yes that she will wait for me though diary. ^^ Isn't she great?


Amber smiled at how her father fought in his own way.

Dear diary,

After tending to father's needs he asked me with teary eyes to accept the thrown.

I said yes although I asked for his blessing along with mother's to marry Victoria.

What I did not know is that they already asked Victoria and that she is not a commoner at all but rather a princess from north.

It shocked me.

I swear I did not know.

And would you believe it that she just laughed at my surprised face??


You could imagine a wide eye Nickhun and a shy Victoria giggling at the side.

Dear diary,

It was the day I felt great for being who I am.

Our daughter was born.

I never knew that something this small and frail could make me happy.

I was still crowned prince since father is getting better.

My doubts on whether to be a king went away.

What made it so?

A travel around the country in disguise.

People were suffering.

Officials were corrupt.

A lot of children were abandoned to be orphans.

It was not how I want to see the people of my country live.

We should be proud and stand tall.

We are Chinese.

I should do something.

As if knowing how to read my mind, Victoria helped out.

Although I don't want her to tire too much especially that we have Amber.


With that, Amber decided to travel and wander around the country with the permission from her mother and the headmaster.

Thin and malnourished children wandering in the street begging for food while the rich drank liquior until they pass out.

Some people have too much.

She saw how some country offficials use funds misappropriately.

The citizens were not receiving just rations.

Thugs were abusing the elderly and the weak.

She ran to the group who was beating up this old woman shielding spilled rice.

After beating up the bad guys, Amber bought a sack of rice and gave it to the old lady.

The old lady said a thank you and asked her to have dinner with her family.

Amber accepted the offer since she was insisting and the old lady was having a hard time standing up.

Upon arriving at an old shack with holes on the walls and roof, they were greeted by five children and her granddaughter.

Amber bought some dumplings which made the kids mouth watery with grumbling stomachs.

She left the house feeling happy to have helped.

The travelling made her realize something.

She saw how bigger the problems other people were having compared to hers.

Now let us go back to the diary.

At the last page, she read something that had something to do with matters of the heart.

Dear diary,

Our Amber has grown quite handsomely although she is a girl.

I know Amber is young but I fear for her future.

She is young but if God destined me to an early death to protect her then so be it.

But if ever time comes that people might doubt her or she might doubt her self, all a father like me could do is say "I love you and you will always be your father's little girl no matter what your age may be."

Diary, I want to spend more time with my wife and daughter.

Life could be too cruel sometimes.

If I don't have much time knowing my brother, I wish I could tell my daughter some day that she should stay strong for me and her mother.

Time is not like money. Money is earned but time once spent will never come back.

But all the same that we should spend it wisely.

Amber, my daughter, I learned how to love from your mother. Love is not much but I'd rather spend the rest of my days loving you, your mother and the people of China instead of dwelling into problems.

What am I saying to a stupid diary? I don't even know if my daughter will ever get to read this.

Aish! Gotta go. My wife is calling and she is someone with not much patience in waiting.

But I love that about her too.


Amber smiled with tears falling down her cheeks.

Her father was right.

"Appa. . . "

Two years has passed being on the mountains and four years in mainland China to study college and learning how to be the next ruler.

As for her and Krystal, well. . .

Let's just say she has something to tell her.