part 2: WILL THERE BE AN "US" IN THE FUTURE

BUTLER FOR HIRE - ANYONE?

AMBER's P.O.V.

My princess is still at school and here I am stuck at the hospital bed.

I really hate being a frequent visitor of this place.

It just gives me the deathly and sorrowful ambience although I would see happy faces of relatives who found out the operation was a success every now and then or so whenever I would wander the halls. I was in disguise of course. Mummy disguise. ^^

My mind was into a lot of deep thinking.

About my condition now, Krystal and us.

As you can see, being a girl who loves a girl is hard.

I don't care what other people say but only what Krystal will say about me and what we will be in the near future.

If there's ever still a "we".

Minho's questions are still ringing inside my head.

The deep thoughts was disturbed when I heard something at the door.

*Knock Knock

Who would visit me at this time of the day?


Umma said she will visit but not today though. Krystal also promised not to skip class since I glared at her. Although I can't beat her glares.

The door opened and in went a lady that looked familiar.

She is around the ages of 60+ or so.

Her aura speaks of "look and listen to me or I will bite".

So I stood up from my bed and gave a bow. Then gestured her to comfortably sit down.

"You must be Amber Liu, the ever famous princess or prince as what the citizens at your country say."

I just nodded in response. Her eyes. I am sure that I have seen them somewhere.

"Don't worry, I know you can't speak at the moment. You might be wondering who I am and why I am here?"

She read my mind. It's creepy if you ask me.

"I am Jessica's and Krystal's grandmother."

My eyes went wide in shock. That's why she is familiar! And the eyes!

I knew about her from pictures at the Jung household and Krystal's stories but she told me her grandmother is always busy.

Why had she come to visit me????

Please don't tell me she is going to punish me for not being a good butler to Krystal.

My head went into panic mode until I heard the visitor say something that caught every bit of my brain cells.

"Now as to the why part. I know that you and my beloved granddaughter are smitten with each other. Seeing how I cannot stand in the way though you are in fact a girl, I still have a proposal to make. Would you care to listen?"

Do I have a choice?

So I nodded again.

"Here's the thing. You are quite a candidate to be part of our family but I am certain that somewhere in your mind also questions the stability of your relationship and how long it will last especially now that you lost your voice."

Neh. I am moving head up and down in agreement.

She is right.

"I don't like to interfere with relationships but ever since my granddaughters are into the same I have to make certain they won't hurt themselves nor others. You have seen our eldest Jessica being engaged to Yuri, right?"

I looked into her eyes. It was warm and gentle but still icy.

"Although at first I was bent on separating them, but my heart ached when I saw Jessica crying one night just because I wouldn't allow her Yuri to be her date for a business party and chose someone else instead. She knows never to get on my bad side so she obeyed. At the party, I saw how she is not her usual happy self. It was different whenever Yuri is around her. God knows how much of a demanding Jung she is but I am amazed and applauded Yuri for sticking with her through her ups and worst moments. The day Yuri asked a personal appointment with me and my son, Jessica's father. By that time I knew what she wanted to talk to us about. She came in with large beads of sweat on her head and was fidgeting but confidently looked in our eyes and asked the both of us for our blessing to have our lovely Sica's hand in marriage. As you have seen my son's childish ways, he happily and cheerily accepted Yuri calling him 'son'. They both turn to take a look at me since I didn't give any approval nor a word. I asked to be with Yuri privately. When I did speak, I asked Yuri the same question I asked you awhile ago. Having heard my point of view, I gave Yuri a list of things she need to do before I give her a yes although in my heart I can never say no."

My attention was captured by every word that Krystal's grandmother said.

She then continued after drinking the tea I had given.

"Yuri did everything and gave her best to do what was on that list. She understood what it meant to give unconditional love. This is a tradition my ancestors have made to ensure that family stays above everything else and that we must stick for each other. Have you ever heard of our line experiencing break ups or divorce?"

Come to think of it. No. Krystal would most of the time brag how she loves her family ties.

"As you can see, it is because of the elders making sure that they help the younger generation and guide them. However, do not mistake me as one of those crazy grandparents who think they should make the decisions in the family all the time including who to marry. When it comes to love, the individual must chose on their own but it is up to us who have to ensure that it is not mistaken for lust nor infatuation."

I breathe in deep and was relieved to know that she is not like that. I thought for a moment she would come here and ask me to stay away from Krystal.

"Now, since that story is finish how about we start with yours?"

She smiled at me and I swear it is one of those smiles with hidden intentions that I am scared of.

It made me gulp and force a weak smile in response.

She really is a Jung.

"You and Krystal are still in high school. Both still young and have a long way to go since there is still college. Now, let me ask you Amber Liu. Royalty or not, are you willing to love my dear Krystal forever? Love her though she makes the most unreasonable request at times?"

"Are you willing to do everything for her? Stand by her side and never ever cheat on her?"

Every question she throws at me, I would nod to say "yes".

Krystal Jung is my everything.

"Since that's that there's nothing I can do. Now, getting down to the real agreement. I know you are going to fly to China soon therefore you will be leaving my granddaughter. You will by then have to leave her with not long letters but a single note saying that "Do you trust me as much as you love me? If so, please wait for me." You cannot say anything to her about our meeting right now. You are not allowed to call her everyday but only once a month. For one hour only. If she asks, tell her your busy schedule is to blame. You cannot e-mail but only write a snail mail once a year. No gifts to be delivered, cards, etc. Not even a single ring. Both of you have to finish all of your studies and you will have to prove to me that you are capable of being a responsible 'prince' to China so I would know that you can take good care of my Krystal. Arasso?"

My mouth fell. Noticing it I closed and shook my self to my senses.

With determine eyes, I stood up and nodded.

"If that's the case then good. If all turns out well in your favor, your love for each other will last. If not, then your doubts will be answered by then. Okay, so you must schedule the flight in order for you to be able to leave tomorrow and don't forget every single word I said. It has to be tomorrow."

I hurriedly wrote something by then.

"Could I at least give her a letter I was meaning to give on her birthday? Please? I beg of you."

I clasped my hand as though praying so hard in front of her.

She sighed in defeat, smiled and agreed.

Before leaving, she turned around to me and said, "Good luck and I will call you when you can return here in Korea."

I went to the window and looked up to the sky.

God? If you are listening, I am not dealing with the devil right?



NEXT DAY

A basket fell down and its fruits rolled on the hospital floor.

A dolphin scream was heard.

"Where the heck is Amber???"