Chapter 28

Stuck With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The yellow team went down the stage after finishing their performance and said their goodbyes to the crowd. 

 

They went backstage and was met by the blue team who was still in their costumes. Chaewon, who still wore her bad witch costume, was the first to greet them. 

 

"You guys did so well!" Chaewon says, looking at the members of the yellow team one-by-one.

 

"Aww, you guys did great too." Eunbi tells them as the two groups started to come together. 

 

"I didn't see the plot twist at the end of your story though. I guess it was meant to surprise us viewers." Chaeyeon suddenly says after the two finished talking. "I really thought Minjoo's character would end up with Hyewon's."

 

Minjoo instantly got embarrassed upon hearing Chaeyeon's comment and hid behind Yujin. The rest of the yellow team looked everywhere except at Chaeyeon as Yuri let out an obvious cough. 

 

"Well, there was a small improv that one of our actors did in the end but I guess all turned out pretty good." Eunbi tells them, chuckling slightly. 

 

The blue team instantly got surprised upon hearing it.

 

"Oh, really? We didn't notice! We all thought it was part of the show." Sakura commented, eyes wide in surprise.

 

"You guys are great actors for pulling it off that well." Nako added. 

 

"Oh, wait. But which scene was the one that was changed?" Wonyoung asked curiously. 

 

Every member of the yellow team turned their heads to Minjoo who was still hiding behind Yujin. Yujin could only let out a small laugh. 

 

"It was the part between her and I. I think you can guess which part is it." Yujin answered as she took a peek of Minjoo behind her. 

 

The blue team let out a collective gasps. Minjoo got even more shy upon hearing it. 

 

When Minjoo thought her friends will judge her for doing something like that on stage, she was greeted by a warm hug instead. 

 

"Omo! I'm so happy for you, Minjoo!" Chaewon immediately came to Minjoo's side and hugged her.

 

Minjoo was startled at first as she didn't expect the sudden contact. She ended up hugging her back a few seconds later. 

 

"Thanks. It was a pretty hard thing for me to do on stage. I even surprised myself for doing so." Minjoo says, laughing. 

 

They pulled away from the hug a little later, Chaewon holding Minjoo's hands.

 

"That was really brave of you. I'm really proud of you, Minjoo." She tells her genuinely. 

 

If it was the old Minjoo that she was speaking to, Minjoo would've fallen for her there and then. But since it was the new her—one who no longer looked for her friend's love—she gave Chaewon her most sincere smile yet, nodding soon after. 

 

"Thank you. I'm also really glad that I did it." She glanced back at Yujin the moment she said that. 

 

Chaewon then went back to her place as Minjoo did the same too. Minjoo then notice how Chaewon held Hitomi close to her and how the other girl looked really happy when Chaewon did it. 

 

Minjoo gave Chaewon a knowing look. Chaewon then mouthed something to her, telling her that she'll tell her all about it later. Minjoo could only chuckle. 

 

They then watched the TV that depicted the happenings on stage where the MCs were now talking to the crowd. 

 

After a few minutes, they were called back on stage to say their final thanks to the crowd and all of its attendees. 

 

The blue team stayed on the right side of the stage, the yellow on the left. They gave one last bow to the crowd as they cheered for the two teams again. 

 

When the cheers died down, Tiffany spoke again. "Now that the plays are done, it is now time to announce the winners of this contest."

 

The crowd listened intently as they hoped to know who the winners will be.

 

"And for that, we'll be doing the announcement among the students and the staff only to remain the secrecy and mysteriousness of it." Tiffany announced, chuckling soon after. 

 

The crowd let out sounds of disappointment as the MCs give them a sympathetic smile. They then asked the contestants to head backstage as they say their final words to the crowd. This was also the time where the judges tallied all the scores for each members of the team. 

 

As they head backstage, they were greeted by their families. 

 

Minjoo was immediately enveloped in a hug by her mom, telling her she did great and she showed such a wonderful performance. 

 

Minjoo pulled away chuckling, saying thanks to her mom. Her mom then told her their kiss at the end was so believable that it brought tears to her eyes.

 

Minjoo found herself blushing upon hearing her mom's words. She didn't notice that Yujin was standing next to her, scratching the back of her head and getting shy as she was. 

 

"Oh, Yujin! You're here." Minjoo's eyes widened upon seeing her there. She didn't know that she's been there the whole time, probably hearing all the things her mom said. 

 

"Uh, yeah. I wanted to check on you guys." Yujin answered bashfully. 

 

Minjoo's mom was looking at Yujin, seemingly thinking of something. Her face then lit up upon remembering. 

 

"You're Minjoo's friend who went to our house before." She tells Yujin with a bright smile. "What a coincidence that you two ended up being co-stars, not to mention lovers in the play."

 

"Oh, yes ma'am. That's me." Yujin answered with a soft chuckle. "I wasn't able to properly introduce myself that time but my name's Yujin."

 

She tells Minjoo's mom, putting a hand out for her to shake. Minjoo's mom accepted it as Yujin gave her friend's mom a polite handshake.

 

"Yujin, that sounds such a good name." Minjoo's mom says with a smile that Yujin returned.

 

Minjoo watched the two's interaction with a bright smile on her face. She didn't know why, but watching the two together brought a warm feeling inside of her.

 

Minjoo also knew that she haven't told her mom anything about her and Yujin. Just the fact that they were friends, nothing more. 

 

Although, that was before. Before this play happened and before Minjoo got the guts to tell her how she feels. But now, it was different. Even Minjoo herself doesn't know what to call her and Yujin now or even decide what they are. Nevertheless, she knew she had this strong feelings for the girl. 

 

Going to her mom's side, Minjoo quickly whispered to her that she'll tell her something later—something about her and Yujin.

 

She then went over to Yujin's side and held her hand. Her mom saw the gesture and caught up on what she was saying. She gave her daughter a soft smile and nodded her head, signalling she understood. 

 

Yujin noticed Minjoo holding her hand as she began playing with their hands, swaying it back-and-forth as she gave the older her famous dimpled smile. 

 

Minjoo was the one who held the younger's hand first and yet, she became shy again now that Yujin has noticed. 

 

Minjoo then looked behind Yujin, hoping to see one of her parents with her. But even as she looked all over the place, she couldn't find anyone that may have came to see her. 

 

"Yujin, didn't your parents come to see you perform?" Minjoo asked with furrowed eyebrows. 

 

Yujin lowered her head, not meeting Minjoo's eyes. 

 

"I, uhh, invited them to come see the show. But it turns out, they both have an overseas trip that they both had to go to. So, yeah. No one came for me today, not even my parents." Yujin says in a small voice. 

 

Minjoo instantly regretted asking. She saw how sad Yujin became upon bringing the topic. It broke her heart seeing her like this. 

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." Minjoo apologized. 

 

"No, it's okay. I'm used to it." Yujin says, pursing her lips as she slowly nodded. "It's just how it is."

 

Minjoo felt even bad upon hearing Yujin's response. She needed to think of something, anything. She didn't want her feeling this way till the end of the night. Fortunately, her mom came to her aid. 

 

"I can be your mom for the night." Minjoo's mom says, going over to where Yujin and Minjoo was. "I already consider you as my daughter even if we just formally met today. And who knows, it might do you some good in the future too."

 

Her mom says the last part with a wink, making Minjoo want the ground to swallow her. Even so, she can't help but to thank her when she saw Yujin smiling again. 

 

"Thank you, Mrs. Kim. I really appreciate that." Yujin tells her. 

 

"Oh, no need to call me that. Mom would be enough." Minjoo's mom confidently says. 

 

"Oh." Yujin says in surprise, glancing over to Minjoo who was red as a tomato now. "Thank you for watching our performance, mom."

 

Minjoo's mom was pleased to hear Yujin calling her mom that she was all smiley the next few minutes. Minjoo couldn't wait for the MCs to call them back again as she could only handle so much embarrassment for the night. 

 

Lucky for her, they were asked to head back to the auditorium for the announcement of the winners. The crowd were already dismissed so that they'll have privacy during the announcement. Their families were also asked to leave before them.

 

"We've finally reached the moment that we've been all waiting for." Tiffany announced as both her and Moonbin went on stage. The students occupied the seats below the stage. "The announcement of the winners."

 

"First and foremost,  I would like to congratulate each and everyone of you for doing such a wonderful job not only for this play, but for the whole contest itself." Tiffany says as the students gave an applause. 

 

"It was hard to get through the challenges each time. And even harder to maintain your scores to stay on top of the rankings. No matter what the results will be, just now that you guys gave it your best and that's enough."

 

The students nodded at Tiffany's words. 

 

"In order to know who are our winners for this contest, you must first know your scores for this challenge." Moonbin says.

 

"Your scores are in here." Moonbin lifted his right hand to show the envelopes that he was holding. "And we will give them out to you one-by-one so you can see how well you did for tonight's play."

 

"Please, no sharing of your scores to one another as you'll also see them later when we announce your rankings." Tiffany tells them. "Let's not prolong this anymore so we will now give them out."

 

The students were called one-by-one to receive the envelopes with their scores. They were also asked not to open it first and they'll do it at the same time. When the last name was called, Minjoo can already feel her hands sweating. 

 

"On the count of three, please open your envelopes to see your scores. 1... 2... 3..."

 

They opened their envelopes together as Tiffany counted up to three. 

 

Minjoo's eyes immediately widened upon seeing the score the judges gave her. She got 98...almost a perfect score. 

 

She didn't expect to get this high of a score, not when she did her little improvisation. She decided not to let her happiness show so she tried to act cool about it. 

 

She looked at where Yujin was and saw her just looking down at her paper with emotionless eyes. She wondered if she got a high score like she did. It would benefit them if she did but Minjoo couldn't quite tell from the look on her face. 

 

"Now that you've seen your scores, let's move on over to the final ranking." Tiffany says after a few moments of silence. 

 

The TV that they had used since the beginning of the contest was placed once again behind the MCs. The words '6th Place' suddenly appeared at the lowest part of the screen. 

 

"The first pair that came in sixth place with a score of 192 points for this challenge and a combined score of 476 points overall are..."

 

The students were all waiting for them to announce who the sixth placers will be.

 

"...Lee Chaeyeon and Miyawaki Sakura!"

 

Tiffany announced as the students gave their fellow contestants an applause. 

 

"Ehh, I know we'd be last but who cares? We had fun anyways." Sakura said with a laugh that made the others join in as well. 

 

"Now, for the fifth placers." Moonbin says when the laughter died down. The screen then

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter