Chapter 23

Stuck With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjoo sat on one of the chairs placed near the beach, busily looking for something in her phone. There were some chairs and tables placed near it for people to use as they eat and relax on the beach. She was seated together with two people in it—Yuri and Hyewon.


This morning, the teachers and staffs agreed to let them have a free day together. With that being said, the students decided to have breakfast over by the beach along with doing some swimming and sand castle building. They decided to pitch in whatever food they have for all 12 of them to share.


I think, this is her. Minjoo tells herself as she scrolls through Gaeul's account.


After their talk yesterday, Minjoo couldn't help but to get curious with Gaeul. She didn't know why she got curious or why she was looking her up right now, but all she knows is that she'd like to know more about the girl. Or rather, she'd like to know who was she and how she and Yujin got close.


"Minjoo. You still haven't touch your food yet." Yuri says that made Minjoo look up from her phone for the first time this morning.


"Huh?" Minjoo asked. She looked down at her plate that held two french toast and an orange juice as her drink. "Ahh, yeah yeah. I'll eat it later."


She then continued scrolling through her phone that made Yuri roll her eyes.


"If you don't eat now, I'll tell Ms. Im that you're using your phone for something bad." Yuri teased.


Minjoo put her phone down as she scoffed, offended. "I am not a person like that."


She placed her phone next to the plate (forgetting to turn it off) as she grabbed one of the bread and took a bite. "There. Are you happy now?"


Yuri gave her a thumbs up while still eating her food.


As Minjoo was about to pick her phone up again, she noticed Hyewon looking at it.


"Oh, hey. That's Gaeul." Hyewon pointed to one of the pictures displayed in Minjoo's phone.


Minjoo's eyes widened, quickly picking up her phone, and turning it off.


"Who now?" Yuri asked, chewing on her bread confusedly.


"Gaeul. Kim Gaeul. One of Yujin's close friends. Yujin used to bring her along to hangout with us before their family had to move out of town because of her father's work." Hyewon explained.


"O-kay. Thanks for the introduction." Yuri said unsurely. She then turned to Minjoo. "And why were you looking at her account?"


"Oh, it's because... I just want to, uhm..." Minjoo begins, trying to explain herself. She doesn't even know herself why, what was she supposed to say?


"You know, it's because we met her yesterday while we were out and I was just, like, curious about her...?" Minjoo said with uncertainty.


She was afraid that Yuri saw through her lie but thankfully, she didn't. Instead, she noticed something else.


"Wait, you met her. Like, how? Did you even go out? Oh and..." She then gasped. "You said, we so does that mean Yujin and you went out yesterday?" Yuri asked excitedly.


"Well, yeah. It was getting a little boring inside the house with nothing to do." Minjoo says, doing her best to act casual.


"Omo!" Yuri exclaimed, quickly grabbing her phone. "So you were the girl that she posted in her story yesterday! Honestly, I thought that was a pinterest pic because of how good the photo looked!"


"Wait, what?" Minjoo was surprised at what her friend told her. "What picture? I didn't know she took a picture." She hurriedly went over to Yuri's side to see what it was.


"Give me a second... and... here." Yuri showed her the story that Yujin posted yesterday.


It was a pic of her watching the view of the bay. Her back was facing the camera so that meant Yujin took the photo without her noticing. The sun was still  present in the picture that indicated that Yujin took this photo before sunset—before buying them their food.


"Oh. We're lucky to have caught it. It hasn't been a whole day before she posted it." Yuri chuckled as Minjoo returned to her seat.


Minjoo had her eyebrows furrowed after seeing the picture. Yuri, on the other hand, was grinning at the side as she looked at her friend mischievously.


Minjoo saw her staring and stared back at her. Yuri gave her a knowing look as Minjoo did the same. They were communicating with their eyes, bickering back-and-forth without even someone noticing.


Just when Minjoo had enough of her friend, Hyewon began to speak.


"Look at them. Really taking that sand castle building seriously."


She was looking over a few feet from them where the other students were. Almost all of them were now building sand castles. It was as if it was part of the contest at how serious they looked in making it. Even Eunbi—who was supposed to be the mom of the group—was working diligently on her own sand castle.


Minjoo didn't notice it at first, only now that Hyewon mentioned it. "Okay. But where did they get those bucket and shovels? Did anyone bring it with them here?"


Yuri sighed. "Don't ask. Yena unnie immediately went out to buy those the moment she heard we were spending the morning here."


"Oh. I see." Minjoo turned to watch her friends do their own thing.


Eunbi was making sure her sand castle's foundation were strong enough to withstand the second floor she was building, Yena was tossing lots of sand together and patting them, Hitomi was decorating her sand castle with pretty shells that she can find, and... Yujin.


The younger was just sitting there, her eyes trained in concentration as she decides where to place the sand in the bucket next.


It wasn't much to see compared to what the others were doing with Eunbi and her sturdy foundation, Yena with her piled-up sand castle, and Hitomi with her cute designs. Even so, Minjoo can't help but watch the younger out of all of them.


With Minjoo being too preoccupied, she failed to notice the two pair of eyes who were looking at her with both surprise and curiousity.


--


Minjoo decided to head back to their house after finishing her breakfast. She didn't dare join Yuri and Hyewon when they asked her if she wanted to join them for a little swim. She just wanted to have the morning to herself, wanted to be alone for the time being.


Going upstairs in their shared bedroom, she flopped down, face-first on it. She let out a huge sigh before grabbing her phone to see Yujin's story for herself.


Surely enough, there it still was. A picture of her from yesterday. A picture she didn't even know Yujin took.


She then turned off her phone, placing it on the side, and rubbed her eyes with her hands.


Why would Yujin post her in her story? Why would she take a picture without letting her know? And most of all, why would it have to be her in the picture and not the scenic view that was right in front them?


Minjoo groaned, sitting up. She was overthinking things again. There was no reason that she should. She could ask Yujin about it later when she arrives.


But then, her mind drifted off to Gaeul. Did Yujin post her in her story too before like she did with her?


Before she could get lost in to thinking about it too much, she stopped herself. Why the heck was she thinking about this now? Why did she need to know if Gaeul was in her story too before? And come to think of it, why did she care? About Gaeul, about Yujin's story, about Yujin in particular? When before she didn't even bat an eye to the younger except when she did something bad in which she'll loathe her for it but not... this.


These past few weeks, ever since Yujin and her became somewhat close, Minjoo didn't quite know how to describe what she was feeling everytime she was with her.


At first, she was just thankful that they weren't as stiff and awkward as before when they first started. As the days passed by, she felt glad that Yujin was there to assure her that they'll pass the challenges no matter what it was and they'll aim higher the next time. She felt happy feeling like she wasn't alone in facing it.


But apart from all the things related to the challenge that they had to face, Minjoo reminded herself that it wasn't just because of those things why she's now feeling conflicted.


Maybe because it was the way how Yujin always make sure to check on her feelings (either about the contest or something else), how she makes sure that Minjoo won't feel awkward like she did before, how she does things for the two of them all the time, and most of all, was how she was there comforting her in her most vulnerable state even without having the faintest idea on how to do so. She still did it, and she did it for her.


Deciding what she would describe her feelings towards Yujin with bringing up the past doesn't work well with her. She thinks a lot has happened and if she based it on those, she wouldn't come up with a final answer. Instead, she decided to base it on how she felt spending the day with her yesterday.


Sure, she was happy how she got out of the house after a while. Driving to the place was also quite nice because of the upbeat songs being played on the radio and how Yujin and her sang-along to the songs that they both know. The first activity that they did, skating, became bearable for her since Yujin taught her how and she was glad that she did. She also felt good playing archery with her as she got to show Yujin her skills and how she even ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter