Chapter 9

Stuck With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With her eyes still trained on the person's smartband, she accepted the handkerchief. The person went to sit on the chair next to her. Minjoo didn't even get the chance to see who the person was.


There was a moment of silence after that. No one dared to talk. Not Minjoo, not even the stranger.


Minjoo stared at the handkerchief that the stranger had given to her. Thinking that it would be a waste not to use it, she wiped her nose with it.


After doing so, she didn't know what to do next. Should she talk to the stranger who is now seemingly (obviously, but Minjoo didn't believe it yet) her partner for the contest or should she wait for them to talk?


More seconds have passed between them and yet, no one one started a conversation nor make any move. Deciding to break the silence, Minjoo spoke first.


"Uhm... thank you for this." Minjoo said, without looking at the stranger. She just raised the handkerchief with her right hand to indicate that she was thanking them for it. Still, she remained her gaze in front.


She was curious, of course, on finding out who this person is. But for some odd reason, she still didn't want to face them yet. She felt like it was better to keep it this way, not looking directly at who this person is. That is, unless they start talking in which Minjoo would definitely look as it would come out rude if she didn't.


The stranger hummed at Minjoo's statement. "You looked like you needed it. No need to thank me for that." The stranger then said.


Upon hearing the voice of this person, Minjoo's eyes widened. Her body went rigid as she became frozen in her seat.


Wait, I know that voice from somewhere. Could it be? Please don't tell me I'm right.  Minjoo thought.


She slowly turned her head back, her body preparing itself to face the person and when she did, she sure hoped that she was wrong.


There sitting just two feet away from her was Ahn Yujin, the last person she wanted to be partners with. She had her elbow propped up on the table, her hands clasped together as she watched Minjoo with a curious look.


Upon seeing Yujin seated there, Minjoo fell back from her seat in surprise. Yujin came running towards her when she did.


Minjoo was on the floor, rubbing her to lessen the pain from the impact of it.


"Are you okay?" Yujin asked as she stood in front of Minjoo. She held her hand out for Minjoo to take. "Here, let me help you up."


Minjoo was still sitting on the floor, refusing to take Yujin's hand. She looked at Yujin with her eyebrows furrowed. She shook her head and said, "I'm fine. I think I got it." With that, she pulled herself up and in a matter of seconds, she was on her feet.


The moment she got up, Minjoo didn't know what to do. She immediately avoided Yujin's look by staring elsewhere. Minjoo glanced at the handkerchief still in her hold, undecided on what to do next. She knew that Yujin was watching her.


She glanced back at Yujin's direction to see if she really was her partner. When she did, she saw the blue color displayed on Yujin's watch—her partner's color.


Minjoo took a deep breath in before releasing it. Yujin really is her partner.


"I... uhm..." Minjoo started awkwardly, her back facing Yujin. "I can't give this back to you since I've already got some of my, you know, in it. I'll wash it first before giving it back to you."


She said this without looking at Yujin. Upon finishing, she didn't let Yujin talk. She sprinted off in a different direction, hurriedly getting away from the taller girl.


Minjoo tried so hard not to look back to see Yujin's reaction. Instead, she kept her head low—going to the place wherever her feet led her. That was, until she bumped into someone.


"Oh, sorr--" The girl started but wasn't able to continue when she saw who it was. "Minjoo? Oh, it's you." The said girl who Minjoo bumped into turned out to be Yuri.


"Oh, yeah. It's me." Minjoo answered. She stood beside Yuri awkwardly, as if something was troubling her. Yuri noticed this the moment Minjoo started talking yet she decided not to ask.


"So, did you find out who your partner is?" Minjoo asked Yuri. Yuri was still standing there and looking at Minjoo concernedly until she heard her question.


Yuri's face suddenly changed from being a concerned one to an excited one.


"You will not believe who I got paired up with!" Yuri tells Minjoo with a hint of eagerness in her voice. She lightly hits Minjoo's arm when she said that.


Minjoo chuckled at her friend's action. She was even more curious to find out who her friend's partner is that could make her all giddy and excited like this.


"Here's what happened." Yuri continued. "You know how we have our own color and we looked for our partners the moment the smartband showed us which one to look for?" Minjoo nodded, waiting for Yuri to continue.


"So after that, I got up and looked for the person with the yellow color on their smartbands. And as you know, we don't really hang around with anyone from Yujin's group, right?" Minjoo flinched upon hearing Yujin's name. Yuri didn't notice it as she was busy recalling about what happened earlier.


"R-Right." Minjoo answers, stuttering. "What's it got to do with her group anyways?"


"Well, the big surprise is... I got paired up with one of her friends!" Yuri says, giving Minjoo a huge grin. "Oh, and get this. I just didn't get paired up with anyone from their group but I ended up being partners with Yena. You know, the ducky looking one and the one who's always bright and cheerful in their group?"


"Yeah, yeah. I know her." Minjoo answers as she remembered the face of Yena who Yuri had mention. "I'm guessing she's your partner for the contest. But why do I get the feeling that you seem really excited about it? Is there anything that I should know?" Minjoo asked teasingly, having an eyebrow raised as a small smirk crept up her on her face.


As Minjoo said that, Yuri's grin was wiped off her face. She took a step back from Minjoo, crossing her arms together as she shrugged.


"W-Well, there's nothing you should know about. It's just that she seems like an interesting person to be paired up with and I would want to know more about her and her friends so I think it's not really that bad if I look forward to this contest." Yuri was avoiding Minjoo's gaze as she said this. Minjoo also noticed the slight blush on Yuri's face.


"Okay. If you say so." Minjoo says, shrugging. It was clear that Yuri didn't say everything that was on her mind that time. It seemed like there was more to it but Minjoo didn't push her about it. She was willing to wait for her friend to open up about it rather than forcing her to say tell her.


Yuri cleared after a few seconds. "Okay, enough about me. How about you? Were you able to find your partner?"


Upon hearing the question, Minjoo let out a long sigh, glancing at the handkerchief that she was still holding in her hand.


"I did. But I think there was something wrong with the test and how we were paired up. I wasn't paired up with the person who I wanted to be partners with." Minjoo answers, remembering her encounter with Yujin earlier.


"Huh? What do you mean there's something wrong with the test? Who did you get paired up with?" Yuri asked, a confused look written on her face.


"Well, it was..." Minjoo took a deep breath in before answering. "Ahn Yujin."


It was evident that Yuri was surprised at the sudden information that Minjoo has relayed to her. She had her eyes wide and her hand was covering that was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter