Chapter 8

Stuck With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjoo walked towards the chair in small steps. She sat on it slowly upon reaching it, leaning her head on the headrest. She put her hands together and placed it on top of her stomach. 

 

The teacher who was behind the computer stood up. She went towards Minjoo and stood right beside her. As she got closer, Minjoo recognized her as their Music teacher—Ms. Park. 

 

Ms. Park had long black hair and a slightly tanned skin. She was wearing a blue button up blouse and white slacks for today's test. What made her stood out from all the teachers in the school was her round eyes. Teachers from the faculty sometimes teases her by having a resemblance with Thomas the Train. 

 

"Okay, Minjoo. All you have to do is to keep calm and answer honestly. That's the only thing you have to remember." Ms. Park says. "Before we start, do you have any questions?" 

 

Minjoo's eyebrows furrowed as her lips joined to form a thin line. She looked around the room. Then after a few seconds, she seemed to have formulated her question. She began to ask Ms. Park about it. 

 

"Uhm, Ms. Park. Are you going to put wires on me and put a needle on my neck just like the one in Divergent before I take the test?" Minjoo curiously asked, giving the room a once-over to look for any signs of machines with wires and syringes. 

 

Ms. Park chuckled. "That wouldn't be necessary. You'll just have to answer my questions and I'll track your progress on my computer over there." Ms. Park motioned at the computer from where she was sitting earlier. 

 

Minjoo nodded and again, another question came to her mind. "Oh, and you told me to keep calm while answering, but do I have to think wildly just to get the results I want? I remember Ms. Im saying something about the test taking our choices into account." 

 

"For that, I wouldn't say that you need to think that hard. Being calm while answering would be much preferrable than thinking wildly. And for your choice, as you answer the questions, it will be obvious once you already have someone in mind." Ms. Park smiled playfully at Minjoo. 

 

"With that, I'll let you wear this bracelet as you answer the questions." Ms. Park retrieved a black smartband from her pocket and attached it on Minjoo's right arm. "Just a little something that'll help me find the right partner for you." 

 

Minjoo raised her right arm to take a better look at it. It seemed just like a normal digital watch but Minjoo knew there was something more to it. 

 

"Ms. Park, can I ask more questions?" Minjoo suddenly asks after she finished looking at the bracelet. 

 

"Sure, go ahead." Ms. Park answers her. 

 

"How can we be sure that this test is like, you know, 100% legit? And, I don't know, but this bracelet still makes me feel like I'm about to take an aptitude test even if there aren't wires being attached to me. Are you sure this isn't like that test? And, oh, why aren't there any bright lights in the room? Is it supposed to be part of the test or the teachers thought it would make the room look cool and amazing?" Minjoo blabbers out. 

 

Ms. Park sighs. "Yes, it is legit. No, it's not an amptitude test that you're taking and to finish your questions, Ms. Im planned this together with someone from the contest so I'm not really sure what to say about it." It seemed like answering Minjoo's questions made Ms. Park tired as she wasn't standing as firm as she was from earlier. "Please tell me you're done asking questions?" 

 

Minjoo resumed doing her actions like earlier—with her eyebrows furrowed and her lips forming into a thin line. Ms. Park prepared herself for another series of questions that Minjoo may ask again. 

 

"I think that's all." Minjoo says, nodding as she smiles at Ms. Park. Upon hearing that, Ms. Park lets out a big sigh. 

 

"Good to hear that." Ms. Park seemed livelier when Minjoo finished asking her questions. She went back to sit on the chair behind the computer while muttering, "She has the looks of Tzuyu but has the same personality as Sana, great." 

 

Minjoo remained seated on her seat, waiting for Ms. Park's instructions. After about 10 seconds of silence, Ms. Park spoke again. 

 

"You ready, Minjoo?" Ms. Park asks as Minjoo gave her a thumbs up. "Alright, let's begin this test." 

 

Ms. Park cleared , squinting her eyes to get a better look at the computer's monitor as she says, "First Question: Do you want a partner who has the same taste as you?" 

 

Hearing the first question thrown to her, Minjoo began thinking straightaway. It will be obvious when you already have someone in mind. Minjoo remembered what Ms. Park has told her earlier. 

 

If I think of Chaewon while answering, maybe it'll help for her to end up being my partner. Minjoo thought to herself. 

 

"I would choose to have a partner who doesn't have the same taste as me. In my opinion, if the two of you wouldn't have the same taste, you'll end up trying different things because of your partner and I think it'll be pretty fun to watch something like that unfold." Minjoo answers, having a confident smile on her face. She remembered how she hated mint choco ice cream before. But, because of Chaewon, she doesn't hate it that much anymore. She thinks it's one of their differences that makes spending time with each other fun and worthwhile. 

 

"Okay." Ms. Park noted Minjoo's answer on her computer as she looked backed slightly at Minjoo. "Ready for the second one?" 

 

Minjoo nodded as Ms. Park began to ask again, "Second Question: What talent would you appreciate most in your partner?" 

 

Minjoo started thinking again after getting another question. As she does, she thought that talent isn't really a must when choosing your partner. 

 

"I think it is not necessary for my partner to have a talent. Each and everyone of us have different ones and I would appreciate what they would be willing to show me. Although if I'm about to pick one, I would say a talent in comforting? Is that counted?" Minjoo looked at Ms. Park who nodded and urged her continue. "Things doesn't always come easy living in this world and I think if my partner will help comfort or just manage to stay by my side when things get rough, I would really like that." 

 

Minjoo remembered on how Chaewon comforted her when she sang a song off-tuned during the school's assembly. Chaewon even tried cracking up jokes just to make Minjoo feel better even if she wasn't any good at it. Even without having the talent of being a comedian, Minjoo felt her spirits rose up with simply just Chaewon comforting her that day. 

 

"Hmm, what a unique answer." Ms. Park mumbles. "Okay, let's proceed right away to the next one. Third Question: What quality would you best want for your partner?" 

 

It took Minjoo a good 30 seconds before she could answer. "Probably, being patient. I think it's a good quality to have as only a couple of people possess this kind of quality and as I see it, it is important for two people to get along with each other. If one wouldn't be patient with the other, nothing good will happen between them as they would want to rush things than wait for it to happen." 

 

Upon answering the question, Minjoo remembered how Chaewon was patient when they did the surprise birthday for Hitomi. Yuri and the rest were rushing Minjoo on planning for the birthday as they told her she was the best in preparing those kind of things. Chaewon, on the other hand, told the others not to rush Minjoo and for her to just take her time. Even with the others being impatient with Minjoo's slow pace, Chaewon remained patient. 

 

"So far, so good." Ms. Park tells Minjoo. "There is only a single question left. Ready to head to it?" 

 

Minjoo felt her fingers doing a 'thumbs-up' again as she prepared herself for the last and final question. 

 

"Fourth Question: Would you like a partner who accepts you for who you are?" 

 

The last question seemed to have brought back memories from Minjoo as she was caught in a daze. A partner who accepts me for who I am? Minjoo repeated the question through her head. If she was going to base entirely on this question, yes, she would want a partner like that as Chaewon does the exact same thing. 

 

Whatever Minjoo's flaws or difference are, Chaewon accepts it. Whenever Minjoo failed or has her shortcomings, Chaewon was right there to tell her that it's okay—that all people experiences this and that it is part of being human. Anytime, any place, at any given circumstances, whatever Minjoo might say just about anything—Chaewon would never judge her and she still accepts Minjoo for who she is. Never doing the opposite. 

 

"Yes, I would like a partner like that." 

 

-- 

 

After the last question, Ms. Park has put in all of Minjoo's answers in her computer. She then stood up and walked towards Minjoo. She removed the bracelet upon reaching her as she glanced at her watch. 

 

"You took only 10 minutes. That was quicker than 65% of the students who got in earlier before you." Ms. Park was able to detached the bracelet and placed it back on her pocket. "It only took longer than intended because of your questions." She chuckles. 

 

"Uhm, Ms. Park. Why did other students took longer time than me if I did ask a lot of questions than them?" Minjoo asked. She was curious to find out on why she and her friends had different times in answering the test. 

 

"Well, a lot of students took their time in thinking the answers for the question. Others, talked about their past relationships in which the questions reminded them of." Ms. Park explains. "While others like you, Minjoo, answered right away. It seems like other students like yourself already have a person in mind in which you were able to answer the questions easily." 

 

Minjoo nodded upon hearing Ms. Park's explanation. "So, there's a high chance I'll get paired up, let's say, with the person I had in mind?" 

 

"We'll see." Ms. Park answers. "You're good to go. Just don't tell anyone what your answers are. You wouldn't want knowing your partner before the results come out." 

 

-- 

 

The contestants thought the results would take longer to be announced as the announcement of the contestants took almost a week before the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter