Chapter 22

Stuck With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the day nears to its end, the tent where Yujin and Minjoo were staying were now being filled with the other students who have finished the task.


The interval from when the next pairs came after the other was in random. There was no particular time of when the others arrived. Sometimes it was 30 minutes that have passed before the next pairs arrived; the other, about a whole 2 hours.


The last one to return were Yena and Yuri who arrived just before the sun set. Even with the time alloted for them to finish the task, they weren't able to answer it all. They sat sullenly on the last two empty chairs in the tent next to the others.


The two MCs started to rose from their seats as soon as all contestants were present and went over to the students who stopped chatting as they came.


"Alright, alright. Now wasn't that a fun challenge?" Tiffany started, grinning. "You got to discover this whole island, solve riddles, and even spend a day with your friends. Isn't that just great?"


The others nodded in agreement while Yena, sighed miserably. Minjoo looked over at Yujin, nodding like the rest and was wearing a bright smile. Minjoo can't help but to smile as well.


"I know you're all excited to see how many points you got and to see the final rankings so we won't let you wait for too long." Moonbin says as Tiffany gave him an iPad.


"Excuse us for the small screen as it was a bit hard trying to carry a whole screen to this island." Tiffany explained, chuckling. "Now, if you would all just move a little closer so you could see the results."


The students did as they were told and came close together, all eyes trained on the screen. After a few seconds, their rankings appeared on the tiny screen.


1st Place: Kim Chaewon & Honda Hitomi = 40 pts. + 373 pts. = 413 pts.
2nd Place: Ahn Yujin & Kim Minjoo = 50 pts. + 321 pts. = 371 pts.
3rd Place: Kang Hyewon & Kwon Eunbi = 45 pts. + 322 pts. = 367 pts.
4th Place: Yabuki Nako & Jang Wonyoung = 40 pts. + 307 pts. = 347 pts.
5th Place: Choi Yena & Jo Yuri = 30 pts. + 308 pts. = 338 pts.
6th Place: Lee Chaeyeon & Miyawaki Sakura = 50 pts. + 234 pts. = 284 pts.


A noise erupted from the students either from happiness or disappointment. They all pulled back after seeing their rankings.


"We're second!" Yujin excitedly says the moment Minjoo and her pulled away from the crowd.


"Ahh, yes. We finally passed Eunbi unnie and Hyewon unnie with their one point and now we're leading." Minjoo giggled, checking their scores again. "Oh, but we're still a few points away from the first placers."


Minjoo glanced to her side and saw Chaewon and Hitomi chatting cheerfully after seeing the results


Yujin looked at where Minjoo was staring and sighed, a small smile on her face. "It's okay. The scores aren't really far from each other, there's still a chance that we can surpass them on the next one. Maybe they'll even give big points to earn on the next challenge."


Minjoo put her head down and chuckled. "Always looking at the bright side, I see?" She asked Yujin playfully.


Yujin pursed her lips, seemingly thinking for a bit, before smiling. "Well, of course. We made it this far. Who says we couldn't win this thing?"


--


The sun soon disappeared from the horizon as the students made their way back to their houses. It was a long way back as they had to ride the boats again in order to return to the island.


Both Yujin and Minjoo fell tiredly on the couch the moment they reached home.


"Ugh, my legs are killing me." Minjoo says, massaging her calves. "I didn't know we'd be walking around that island for hours."


Yujin nodded, agreeing. "At least we're back home now. We'll be able to get a good rest before the next challenge comes. Who knows, it may also be the last one."


"I just want this contest to end quickly so I can go back home for good." Minjoo had one of the pillows from the couch covering her face that muffled her words.


"Ohh...yeah. Me too." Yujin says, standing up. "I should go and clean up."


Minjoo gave her a thumbs up as Yujin went to retire for the night.


She waited for Yujin's footsteps to recede until she can no longer hear it—an indication that she was already in the bathroom.


Minjoo removed the pillow from her face, putting it back to its original position. She then sat up, pushed her hair back, and sighed.


Something about Yujin's voice earlier told Minjoo that she wasn't as excited in going home as she was.


--


Two days have passed after the last challenge and there were still no indication that the next one will be happening soon.


It was Yujin's turn again to cook breakfast. She stood over by the stove, frying eggs for the two of them to eat. Minjoo sat in one of the island's chairs, busily scrolling through her phone.


The eggs were done a few minutes later and Yujin put them on a plate for them to eat. She also added bacon as a side dish to go with the egg.


She placed Minjoo's breakfast in front of her, still not looking up from her phone.


"You've been doing that ever since we came home from the night of the challenge. Now, it's already time to eat yet you're still using your phone. What could be more important than breakfast?" Yujin commented, an eyebrow rising.


Minjoo's cheeks flushed pink in embarrassment. "Oh... uhm... nothing." She coughed in her hand, putting her phone down, and started eating.


Now that Minjoo was already eating, Yujin did the same. She sat on one of the island's chairs—same as Minjoo—and started munching her bacon.


Silence engulfed them for a while. Nothing but the scraping of utensils can be heard. After a few minutes of eating, Minjoo started speaking up.


"About me using my phone..." Minjoo started. "It was because I, uhm, was looking for a place that you and I can go to and just, you know, hangout for the day."


Yujin looked up from her plate, both eyebrows raised. "Oh, you were? Why didn't you tell me? And what's with the sudden willingness to hangout with me?" She asked the last line in a breathy laughter.


Minjoo put her head down, feeling shy with the attention the younger was giving her. "Well firstly, I didn't want to ruin the surprise. It was suppose to be a secret and you'll know about it the day that we're supposed to be going." She sighed before continuing.


"Secondly, I think you might be right about the next challenge being the last. I checked the calendar and saw that there are only three weeks left before the month ends and according to what they told us, this is the last month before the contest ends. And then I thought, we haven't really went out the two of us before. We spend almost everyday with each other but not outside of this contest. That's why I thought of that." Minjoo finished, looking everywhere but at Yujin.


"Oh, I see. You thought this might be the last time we can hangout so that's why you planned on doing that?" Yujin asked as the older nodded.


"Hmm, okay. Let's see that phone of yours. What did you find?" Yujin stood up to stand beside Minjoo.


Minjoo was surprised at the sudden act. "Oh, uhm, okay. Here's what I found so far."


And that was how they spent the rest of the day. Seeing what places they could go that's not too far from the resort, checking the time of when they could go, taking notes of the possible activities they could do in the place, and even the food that they'll have to buy when they get there. By the end of the day, they were able to pick a destination.


"Okay, so that settles it. If we leave at this hour, we'll get to do all these activities that we've picked." Yujin observed. "That is, judging if our travel time wouldn't be that long."


Minjoo stared at her phone's notes, where they put all of their research for their hangout together. "No, I think it'll be fine." She says, turning off her phone as she put it inside her pocket. "We'll leave tomorrow and we're going to enjoy these activities!"


Yujin chuckled at the older's enthusiasm. "Yes, I think we will."


--


They took Yujin's car in order to get to their destination. Just like the last time, one of the school's personnel brought it in for them to use. Only this time, Minjoo didn't hesitate going in—even heading straight to the passenger's seat.


"Do you have everything you need? Didn't forget anything?" Yujin asked as Minjoo began strapping herself in.


Minjoo checked her bag and her pockets to find everything there. She gave a subtle nod and a thumbs up. Yujin took this as a signal to start driving.


They left just after lunchtime so that they'll have plenty of time to do what they had planned. Luckily, the trip to their destination didn't take that long as they arrived just after 45 minutes of driving.


"Alright. So the first activity on our list is ice skating." Yujin read from Minjoo's phone. "I don't suppose you know where that is?"


"Let's go and ask." Minjoo says, putting her phone back.


There were a lot of people inside the mall today even if it was the weekdays. The two girls were able to ask directions on where the ice skating rink could be. A few minutes of walking, they reached the place.


"Oh, it's a lot smaller than I thought." Minjoo observes as her and Yujin stood just in front of the rink.


"I think it's just small from this angle. If we get inside it'll probably be bigger than it looks." Yujin walked ahead of Minjoo, looking at the prices for skating. "Come on. Let's get ourselves in."


Upon paying the registration fee (that Yujin insisted on paying), they entered the lobby area. They took a seat on one of the bench near the entrance.


"I'll go get us our skates." Yujin volunteered. "What's your size?"


"Oh, you don't have to do that. I can get it on my own..." Minjoo says, putting her head down as she played with her fingers.


To tell her the truth, it wasn't because she didn't want Yujin's help in getting her skates. It was because she didn't know what size to get. Afterall, it was her first time trying out ice skating.


When Yujin suggested that they should skate, she couldn't say no because they already agreed in doing one activity that she wanted—archery to be exact. So in order for them to both do the activity they each wanted, Minjoo agreed on doing ice skating.


"Nonsense. I'm getting mine too so I could get yours as well." Yujin waited for a few seconds to hear Minjoo's response that later on resulted to a dead air.


"So..." Yujin trailed off. "Our time's about to start. We should really be preparing now."


Minjoo closed her eyes and let out a huge sigh.


She has to let Yujin know. She has to find out that it's her first time doing this. If she doesn't, she might end up picking the wrong shoes that will result to her falling and slipping everywhere inside the rink.


"I, uhm, actually don't know what my size is." Minjoo mustered up the courage in saying.


She waited for the younger to laugh at her or even say something to . About how she was too shy to say just that, about how inexperience she is at this.


As it turns out, there was none. She didn't hear anything from her. Yujin remained seated next to her, a small smile on her lips.


"You could've just told me. Come on, let's see what size you are." Yujin stood up, urging Minjoo to do the same.


As soon as they were up, they found a chart over by the corner of the lobby and each took turns in measuring their sizes. They headed straight in getting their ice skates after knowing their sizes. After that, they sat back down at the bench from earlier.


"See? That wasn't so bad." Yujin says, already tying the laces of her skates together. "I'll help you in any way I can today so that you'll get to enjoy this experience."


She then stood up, the skates adding three inches to her height that practically made her tower over

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter