Chapter 21

Stuck With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two days have passed and the students awoke with a sudden jolt due to the sound blaring from the speakers inside their homes in which they didn't even know they had.


It was still very early in the morning—5am to be exact—and no one was awake, not until the speakers rang.


The sound played on continuously, like a sound from the military when they were waking their soldiers up. It seemed to do the trick because some of the students who were sleeping were now getting up on their feet.


This resulted to the students waking up earlier than they intended. With heavy eyes and a groggy feeling, they headed outside their houses to see what the commotion is about.


They knew this could only result to a single explanation—it was all part of the contest and the fourth challenge was coming.


"Okay, we're up now!" Yena annoyedly says to no one in particular. She stood right outside their house with one eye still closed. "You can stop the music now. It's hurting my ears!"


The sound from the speakers stopped playing just a moment after Yena said that. A few moments later, they each saw someone standing before them.


The teacher who lead them to their houses the first day stood in front them. As soon as all the students were out of their houses, the teachers beckoned them to follow and led them to the place where they held the first challenge.


The MCs—Tiffany and Moonbin—stood before them with bright smiles on their faces, seemingly not affected by the early activity.


"Good morning!" Tiffany greeted cheerfully. The students nodded, still didn't have the energy to greet back.


Yujin let out a huge yawn and glanced at Minjoo who was standing next to her.


Just like the others, Minjoo still looked bewildered with all that was happening today.


Yujin noticed how she was wearing her shirt inside out, probably due to her getting ready sluggishly. She chuckled at how cute the older looked.


"I know everyone is still sleepy about waking up this early in the morning but there's no better way to start the challenge now!" Tiffany happily said. The students wondered how she had that energy this early in the morning.


"The fourth challenge will take place the whole day that's why we intended for you guys to start this early." Moonbin says next to Tiffany.


"For today's challenge, you guys will have to go on a treasure hunt."


Despite the sleepiness ringing inside each of them, the students' ears perked up upon hearing this.


"Before you all get excited, this treasure hunt will not be taking place here." Tiffany says before the contestants could even talk among themselves.


"Not here? But isn't like the beach a perfect spot for a treasure hunt?" Yuri questioned, her eyebrows furrowing.


"It is but we have another place in mind that fits the description better." Tiffany's eyes twinkled.


As soon as Tiffany said that, the students heard the sound of engines getting closer by the minute over by the sea. The closer it got, the more they realized that there were ten small white boats coming there way.


"For today's challenge, we're going island hopping!" Tiffany says excitedly.


Minjoo noted how the atmosphere suddenly changed from being sleepy to sudden excitement. It was as if all the students weren't disturbed from their peaceful slumber.


"We'll be giving you 30 minutes to go back to your houses and prepare. After that, you are intended to return here where these boats," Moonbin gestured at the boats that were now arriving "will take you to the island where the challenge will be held. We'll also tell you more about the challenge once we arrive there."


"Did everyone get that?" Tiffany asked.


All the contestants nodded and a few seconds later, they were on their way preparing for the fourth challenge, feeling thrilled for what was to come.


--


They rode the boat in pairs going to their destination. By that time, the sun was almost rising. There was a tinge of orange and blue already present in the sky as the boats sail into the distance.


Minjoo sat at the very front of the boat, over by the bow. She let her hair get blown by the wind behind her back as she stare blankly at the water.


The events from yesterday still occupied her mind as it keeps replying over and over. She let out a long sigh as she hears someone approaching.


"How are you holding up?" Yujin asks, sitting behind Minjoo.


"Better, I think." It was true. Minjoo did feel better than last night. But she still can't stop herself from thinking about it.


Yujin pursed her lips, nodding.


"Well, tell you what. Let's forget whatever that thing that happened and just have fun for today, huh? We can still try to earn points but the most important thing is that you'll get to enjoy the day. What do you say?"


Minjoo glanced sideways at Yujin, finally taking her eyes off the water, and giving her a small smile.


"Yeah. I think that sounds nice."


--


They arrived after half an hour of sailing. The boats halted in front of the island as they let their passengers down.


Stepping unto the shores of the island, the students could see hundreds of palm trees in the distance. It felt as though they were transported into a jungle of some kind.


"This looks more like the places that you get stranded in and not a place for a challenge." Yena pointed out. The others next to her agreed.


"Alright! Is everyone here already?" Tiffany suddenly asked, breaking the students from their thoughts.


They looked all over themselves and nodded once they knew that all of them were present.


"Now, to explain the rules." Moonbin begins. "We will be giving you a list of the items that you have to find. You don't necessarily have to keep them once you find them. You just have to take a picture of it with you so we'll know that you really found the object. That is why we allowed you to bring your phones."


"As for how you will be scored, there are a total of 10 items on the list. Each item is worth 5 points. The more items you find, the higher your score will be." Tiffany added. "But there's a catch. The ones on the list that we'll be giving you doesn't state what items you need to find. It gives you a riddle—a riddle that you'll have to solve."


The students let out a sound of protests upon hearing it.


"I'm sorry for that, but it is what it is." Tiffany chuckled.


"We'll now distribute the list. Make sure to find as many as you can before the sun sets." Moonbin says, checking the time. "That'll be enough time for you guys to find everything on the list."


After that, the MCs gave each of the pairs a paper with a list of riddles on it. Minjoo stared at the paper with narrow eyes as her mind began to spin at all the unfamiliar riddles on it.


"Uhm, excuse me. But when do we get to eat? And how?" Chaewon asked when Tiffany gave them their paper.


"For that, you'll have to find the diner on this island." Tiffany answers.


"There's a diner here? On this jungle like island?" Hitomi curiously asked.


Tiffany nodded. "Mhm, that's right. It might look like nothing to you as we stand here on the shore but I'm telling you, there's much more to what the eyes see."


Chaewon and Hitomi looked at each other confusedly and shrugged.


Once all the papers were given, it was time to start the challenge. But before the MCs could let then go, Tiffany added another reminder.


"I almost forgot. I hope no one uses their phones when it comes to answering the riddles. I know that there is no reception here but it's better that I let you guys know so no one will resort into doing it. Do I make myself clear?"


Everyone answered with a loud 'yes' as the MCs officially started the challenge.


Each team went on their different ways to start the hunt.


Minjoo stared at the paper and looked up. She saw Chaewon and Hitomi planning their strategy a few feet away from her.


I should be happy for her and not feel this way.


Minjoo took a deep breath in, closing her eyes in the process.


I should just focus on finishing this challenge and get a high score. Yeah, I think that would make me feel better.


The moment that she opened her eyes, they were already gone. She was about to ask herself where they could've gone when she felt someone looking over her shoulder.


"Solved a riddle yet?" Yujin said from behind her that made Minjoo jump back in surprise.


"Ahh, you scared me!" She turned around and hit Yujin lightly. "You shouldn't have come at me like that!"


"Sorry." Yujin chuckles. "Didn't know that you'll get scared."


Minjoo glared at her that made Yujin raise her hands in defense.


"I'm innocent." Yujin says, doing her best to look like it.


Minjoo rolled her eyes at the younger. "Fine. And to answer your question, I haven't solve a single riddle yet."


Minjoo went beside Yujin so she can look at the paper too.


"Hmm, there are things in here that I'm quite unfamiliar with." Yujin says, pointing out the numbers for which they belonged. "But the good thing is, I know some of them."


"You do?" Minjoo asked with wide eyes.


"Yeah, I do. Like this one for example." Yujin pointed a finger at the item on the fifth number. "I am brown and hairy and grow on a palm tree. I am a?'  That's obviously a coconut."


"Oh." Minjoo turned to look at the riddle that Yujin was pertaining to. "I guess it is. Why didn't I think of that." She playfully hit her head that made Yujin chuckle.


"You were probably just overthinking things. Now come on, let's find a coconut."


They walked deeper inside the island to search for a palm tree with coconuts. Not even a few feet in, they saw it. A round, brown, hairy coconut sitting near the very top of the palm trees.


"Well, that could be a problem. How do we get it?" Minjoo asked, turning to look at the younger who was busy staring up at the tree.


"No, it won't be. Stand here." She held Minjoo by the shoulders and placed her in front of the palm tree. Minjoo looked at her doubtingly.


"What are you doing?" She asked the younger who was now slowly walking away backwards, eyes still trained on the tree.


"This." Yujin answers, as a flash suddenly sounded.


Still a few steps away from Minjoo, Yujin put her phone up. "They said to take a picture of the object once we find it. They didn't mention that we're supposed to hold it as we take one so..." Yujin shrugged, walking back to where Minjoo was.


Minjoo chuckled, looking at the photo that Yujin took. "You and your mind." She said, shaking her head with a smile.


"Okay. What's next on the list?" Yujin asked after Minjoo gave her phone back.


"I'm not really good with riddles so I'm giving this to you." Minjoo gave Yujin the list so she can see it more clearly.


"Oh, this one on number 9." Yujin pointed to the very last part of the list. "It says, 'To answer this riddle, you don't need to be brainy. Just name what's on the beach, it's the stuff that's grainy."


"A stuff that's grainy and is found on the beach. We're on an island right now that is somehow similar to a beach, and what could be grainy at the beach?" Yujin asked Minjoo with a raise of an eyebrow.


Minjoo decided to think about it for a second and then, "Sand! Sands are grainy and found on the beach. The answer for that riddle is sand!"


"There, you got one riddle right." Yujin happily says. "And you said you weren't any good."


Minjoo lowered her head shyly. "It was an easy one and you helped me solve it."


She cleared before speaking again. "Okay, so sand. It's every where around us why don't we take a pic now?"


"Okay, let's do it." Yujin says. She motioned for Minjoo to prepare herself for the picture but Minjoo shook her head.


"I was in the photo the fir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter