Chapter 13

Stuck With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After 30 minutes have passed, they were called once again for the next challenge. Just like the mini game, they were asked to head in front of the beach for the next part of the contest—the school's staff already finished preparing.


The whole time before the next challenge, there was more than enough time for Minjoo to speak to Yujin. Maybe talk about how strong their competitors are for this contest? Think of strategies for the next challenges? Try to guess what the next challenge could be? Or maybe ask Yujin about how she got the answers right to the questions from the mini game earlier?


But even with these opportunities given to her, Minjoo didn't take it. She had her mind set not to ask Yujin about anything that has happened earlier today with the mini game.


Even so, there was still this feeling of wanting to know inside her. Her own curiosity almost killing her. Lucky for her, she was able to bury these thoughts and curiosness deep into her mind, hoping that she will not think of them ever again.


She hopes to distract her mind with the next challenge coming. That's why she was looking forward to it.


Not only that, but she wants them to get a higher point this time, no matter how the scoring for the next round will be.


She still felt that it was unfair that the mini game earlier was scored. She didn't really do her best on it and because of that, they ended up placing fourth.


But Minjoo knew that dwelling on it won't do her any good as it will only hinder her from getting good points this time. It also wouldn't help her bring their rank up.


With her head held high and determination running through her veins, she was ready to take on the next challenge.


Upon reaching the place, all the beach chairs, tables, and umbrellas from earlier were now gone. It was replaced by a single archery target standing on their far right (left, if you look at it by the shoreline). It was attached on a black square foam and was placed on top of a stainless steel target stand. There was also a wooden bow stand about 15 feet away from the target that contained a single bow and some arrows.


A table like the one for announcers was placed a few spaces away from the wooden bow with chairs behind. The 80 inch tv stood tall next to the table, still displaying 'Twist of Fate' on it.


Minjoo's eyes darted from the bow stand to the target. The next challenge was archery? Easy. She's done archery before. Because of that, she thinks Yujin and her already got this in the bag.


Yujin, who was beside Minjoo, was also looking at the two things in front of them. By now, every contestants must have figured out what the first challenge will be.


"Don't worry." Minjoo whispered to Yujin who leaned down to hear her better. "I used to do archery back in middle school. I already know the basics. This will be no different than what I did before. We got this."


Yujin nodded and went back to her original position. Minjoo nodded to herself. Feeling happy that she'll be the one to get them points this time.


"Alright, it seems like everyone's here already." Tiffany said as both her and Moonbin entered the scene. "I think you all know what our first challenge is."


The students nodded their heads as the others answered a 'yes' in response to Tiffany's statement.


"As you can see, our first challenge will be archery. Each team will be given a chance to shoot and aim for the highest score in the target board." Moonbin gestured at the archery target to everyone's right. The highest score on the target was 10 points and it was in the middle—the bullseye, to be exact.


"You will be given three tries each. The highest score one could get for this round is 30 points and that will be automatically added to your scores from earlier." Moonbin added.


The students started talking among themselves after hearing this.


"Woah. That could actually be a table turner." Yuri held Yena by the shoulders as she shook her lightly. "We have an actual chance not to be last anymore!"


Yena laughed awkwardly as she glanced at the other pairs. Lucky for her, everyone was busy talking with each another to notice.


"Even without hitting the bullseye three times consecutively, we can still place first." Eunbi told Hyewon as she was busy analyzing the scene. "I don't think Chaewon and Hitomi are familiar with this. We might even surpass them at this point."


Hyewon stared at where Eunbi was staring, seemingly getting the idea as she nodded.


"Three tries with a chance to get 30 points. Okay, let's do this." Minjoo determinedly says. She began stretching to prepare herself as well as to emphasize her point.


Yujin could only watch at the side, shaking her head in amusement due to the older's actions as a small smile formed on her face.


"But before you get too excited, we want to tell you the additional rule first." Tiffany announced, making the students' chatters stop.


"Only one of you will get to use the bow and shoot. The other one will only guide them. Why do they need to be guided, you ask? That is because the one who will take the shot will be... blindfolded!"


Moonbin brought his left hand from behind to reveal a sleep mask.


"Oh, no no..." Minjoo started to say, shaking her head. "I can't shoot an arrow without seeing the target." She tells Yujin worriedly.


It seems as though they weren't the only ones panicking as the other teams worries can be heard as well.


"You don't have to think about possible accidents and all that as we will make sure everything goes smoothly." Moonbin assures.


'We'll also start from the first placers up to the last when it comes to the sequence for this challenge." Tiffany says. "Also, the one who'll shoot between the two of you should start gearing up now. We'll be starting in a few minutes."


--


The chosen contestants were all geared up not a moment too late after Tiffany told them to do so. Each of them given protective equipments like gloves, arm guards, and finger tabs.


The first pair to start the challenge was Chaewon and Hitomi. Hitomi was the one chosen as the shooter between the two.


The MCs were now seated behind the table and was waiting for the two to place in position before starting.


Hitomi grabbed the bow from the rack and an arrow, facing Chaewon as she did. Chaewon nodded her head at her, putting on the blindfold to Hitomi.


"You may start as you like." Tiffany says.


Chaewon helped Hitomi place the arrow on the bow. After they did, Hitomi raised it. She nocked the arrow and unsteadily aimed it at the target.


"Okay. Move it a little to the left." Chaewon started instructing. "Ahh, wait. I think you went too far. Move it a bit closer to the right."


Chaewon gave out different instructions to Hitomi that time. It looked like they were struggling as Hitomi couldn't find the right direction from where Chaewon was pointing.


After 20 seconds, Hitomi finally made her first shot. It was a good thing that the mcs didn't give them a time limit when they needed to fire the arrow or Chaewon and Hitomi would be disqualified by then. The MCs knew how difficult it was to shoot arrows whilst being blindfolded that's why there was no time limit given.


Hitomi's first shot landed on the outer black ring of the target, earning them 3 points.


"Ahh, it's okay, it's okay." Chaewon assures Hitomi as the mcs announced their first point. "Let's try it again, yeah?"


For the second try, they did much better than the first one. This time, Hitomi was able to get 6 points.


For the last and third try, Chaewon miscalculated the shot that led to them getting only 4 points.


"3, 6, and 4. A total of 13 points for Chaewon and Hitomi." Tiffany announced, taking note of the points that they got. "Next up, Eunbi and Hyewon."


Eunbi and Hyewon got to their positions after the two earlier had finished. Hyewon was the shooter among the two, Eunbi being the one to guide her.


Hyewon carefully putted the blindfold on as Eunbi held the bow. When Hyewon was all set, Eunbi gave her the bow.


Even with a blindfold on, Hyewon looked so calm. She didn't show any signs of panic or nervousness now that she was the one shooting.


"Okay. Raise your bow up and point it straight." Eunbi instructed, confidence evident in her voice.


Hyewon did as she was told, nocking the arrow in the process.


"You've raise the bow too high. Lower it down a bit and after doing so, you'll find the target at 45° to its left." Eunbi says.


"Wait, what did she say?" Yuri silently whispers from the crowd.


Hyewon followed Eunbi's instructions. With the arrow already nocked, she then fired soon after without even waiting for Eunbi to say anything.


"Woah! 9 points! What a good start for Eunbi and Hyewon's team!" Eunbi heard Tiffany say.


Their first shot ended up gaining them 9 points all because of Eunbi's calculated instructions and Hyewon's calm demeanor while shooting.


For the second and third try, they both got 7 points. Eunbi seemed a little disappointed with the points that they got. Hyewon made sure to cheer her up by telling her that their score could be good enough to get them to first place now.


The moment that Hyewon said that, the ranking was displayed on the screen again. The first two pairs who were able to go first already had points added to them now. Chaewon and Hitomi now has 33 points, while Eunbi and Hyewon had 42 points—making them first place.


"These are your scores. The other teams, make sure you do well as you now have an idea how many scores you need to get to beat our current first place holders." Moonbin tells the rest. "For the third pair, Chaeyeon and Sakura, please proceed to the shooting range."


As Chaeyeon and Sakura went to prepare for their turn, Minjoo felt someone tap her shoulder.


"Even with complicated instructions and mathematical computations that Eunbi unnie did, they still couldn't get a bullseye, huh?" Yuri said, standing right beside Minjoo.


"Oh." Minjoo nodded. "I don't think it depends on how the instructions are given and how complex they may be. I think it's purely based on luck."


Yuri shrugged. "I don't know. I still couldn't figure out what it is up until now." Her eyes followed the arrow that Sakura shot, earning them 6 points.


"But I guess we'll just see how it goes, right?" Yuri nudges Minjoo. "Besides, you and Yujin's turn will be up first before us. We'll see if it is really based on luck."


And with that, Yuri said goodbye to Minjoo and went to her partner who was busy writing letters on the sand.


Minjoo could only sigh, hoping that she could earn at least higher points this time for her and Yujin.


"Anything on your mind?" Minjoo heard someone say from her left. It was Yujin.


Minjoo closed her eyes and let out a breath from her nose. "Nothing. Just, thinking about this." Minjoo gestured at the scene in front of them.


By now, Sakura already shot her second arrow and ended up landing on the blue circle of the target, still a 6.


"We'll soon be up next." Yujin reminded her.


"Yeah, I know." Minjoo answers.


Yujin pursed her lips, placed her hands inside her jeans pockets before facing Minjoo. "Hey, listen. You don't have to worry about anything. I know you'll do great. You even did some stretching earlier, right? I think that counts as something, a good omen perhaps? We'll do just fine."


Minjoo let out a low chuckle. She knew Yujin was teasing her about her stretching earlier but she can't help but feel her spirits raise because of her words. "Yeah. I really think me stretching will definitely help."


--


Sakura and Chaeyeon's last try didn't made much of a difference from their first and second ones. At the very last shot, they ended up gaining 5 points.


"Sorry, Sakuchan. I don't really know how this whole archery thing works." Chaeyeon was scratching the back of her head, not looking at Sakura.


"Oh, it's okay. 17 points isn't bad. And look, we're already second!" Sakura pointed at the screen as it changed ranking again. This time, it showed that her and Chaeyeon were already second with 34 points, beating Chaewon and Hitomi who had 33 points.


"Looks like our ranking has changed again." Tiffany commented. "What was once our third placers are now in second place. Will we see something like this for the last three pairs?"


Tiffany glanced at the last three pairs who haven't gotten their turn yet. Minjoo nervously avoided Tiffany's gaze by hiding from Yujin's back. Yujin looked back at Minjoo who caught her eyes the moment she did, let out a small smile, and nodded.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter