030: Sickeningly Guilty

Like Stars In the Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

To say that the next day was awkward would be an understatement. And, it wasn't the kind of awkwardness that was easily hidden, no, everyone felt it. Mira felt it as Doyeon came back to their tent last night, even Soeun could feel it in the air when she'd gotten back to the tent later that night. The same goes for the boys in Jeno's tent, but nobody asked any questions. They chose not to comment about how Jeno and Doyeon stayed far away from each other the next day, and sat at opposite ends of the bus on the way home. It wasn't until Mark and Jeno got back to Jeno's house that Mark decided to finally ask about it. 

"Did something happen with Doyeon last night?" He asked, tossing his bag onto Jeno's floor. The latter didn't say anything as he practically threw himself onto his bed, slinging an arm over his eyes. 

"I confessed." Jeno said, voice hoarse from the lack of use. He felt like crying, he'd felt like crying ever since he'd said those stupid words to her. It was too rash of a decision, he should have thought it through- but even if he had waited, and done some huge grand gesture, the outcome would have been the same. Doyeon never liked him the same why, and he knew that. But, he let tiny moments of hope build up until he'd convinced himself that there was a possibility she did. The worst part was, when he pushed the delusion out of his mind, he could see who Doyeon was thinking about when she was asking him about feelings. It wasn't just her curiosity, but she'd probably continue thinking it was; which made him more upset than disappointed. 

He cleared his throat, he wouldn't cry about her feelings being different. And he wouldn't let this ruin his friendship with Doyeon, but he did need time, just a little.

"That's a big fail," Mark said, in a breath through his teeth. "Well, what are you going to do about it?" 

Jeno lifted his hands, glaring at Mark. "What do you think I'm going to do?"

Mark shrugged, "Try again maybe? You could always try to get her to fall for you." 

Jeno scoffed, "We both know that would only be futile." The room went quiet, Mark twisting his lips. "I'm just going to go back to being her friend, she already turned me down, why would I try and make her change her mind?" 

"Fine, maybe that would be a bit wrong..." 

Jeno covered his eyes again, he opened his mouth like he was going to speak, but no words came out, and after a second he closed it again. "Do you think she'll ever realize her feelings?" Mark asked. He was pretty sure everyone else already has, she was the only one lagging behind. 

"I might lose my mind if she doesn't." Jeno said. "Can we stop talking about it now?" 

Mark hummed, "I'll leave you to your moping~" He said, standing up and grabbing his bag. Jeno didn't bid him good-bye, but he did have the decency to wait for the sound of the front door clicking shut, before turning to his side and falling asleep. 

~~~~

Doyeon was able to distract herself from thinking about everything that had gone down with Jeno, but she found she'd lost that talent as the night got deeper. Despite it being close to two in the morning, she was pacing back and forth in her room. The bag she'd taken on the trip long forgotten in the corner of her room, but sadly she couldn't forget the look Jeno had on his face the night before quite so easily. She roughly raked a hand through her hair, for perhaps the hundredth time, as she let out a shaky breath. Why did she feel so guilty? It's not her fault that she doesn't reciprocate his feelings...but was that why she felt like this? Was it guilt, or was it the feelings of dread? 
She didn't make any sense, not even to  herself.

The sound of light splashes made her walk over to her balcony, and with just a look outside she found herself flying out of her room--metaphorically speaking, though if there was any time she was to get magical flying abilities; now would be lovely. 
 

She was out of her head enough to slip on her shoes, but a jacket seemed like too big of a hassle. As soon as she stepped outside she was soaked. The rain had gone from soft sprinkling to downright pouring in a matter of seconds. Doyeon didn't mind how chilly the night was, it was actually nice to feel her skin as it began to numb under the water.

Doyeon let out a breath, and watched as it turned into a fog due to the cold air. The memory of when she turned Jeno down played once again in her mind. Why did he have to like her? And also, "Why don't I like him back?" She asked in a mumble, the rain water seeping through her lips. It defied all reasoning, when she thought back on all the memories she shared with Jeno, she couldn't understand why she didn't feel the same as he did. Maybe she was right, and she can't harbor romantic feelings anymore...but that didn't seem like it was the case either. 

Her head lifted up to look at the rain, letting it fall directly on her face now.  Why does my mind want to make me regret a good decision? She never wanted to hurt any of the boys, especially not Jeno; who'd shown her nothing but warmth since the moment she first spoke to him. She felt like she had to find a reason she couldn't return Jeno's feelings- when in reality, if she were to take everything down to its core, the answer was so easy. 

 Jeno just wasn't him. 

Who was 'him'? She refused to let her mind wander far enough to find out, so she just laid back on the grass and let the rain wash away all the guilt and worry about what her relationship with Jeno would be like from now on. Time would answer all her questions, so there was no point in dwelling in her own self-obsessive  thoughts. 

~~~~

Doyeon pictured her Monday being better than her Sunday, afterall school was closed due to remodeling they were doing over the weekend, that happened to not be done in time. But, the second she opened her eyes, she knew that today wouldn't be much better.

"Uuugh," Doyeon groaned, turning to her side. felt scratchy, she went to move her hand to her forehead, but her energy failed her midway; causing her hand to wack into her forehead. "Ouch-" She croaked out. She coughed as she forced herself to sit up, her head rested against the wall. This is what I get for being rash. She didn't think just being out in the rain the night before caused her to fall ill; it probably had something to do with the overall stress of the weekend. 

She reached to her nightstand, scrolling down to her fathers number, sending a text asking if he was home. The sound of p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter