017: Sudden Form of Comfort

Like Stars In the Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jisung had ended up going to Chenle's, and telling his parents. It took a couple weeks for the school to give in to Mr. and Mrs. Park, but when they did; both Yunho and Yesung got expelled. Jisung had the bruises as proof, along with Doyeon and Jaemin giving their witness statements. The school only tried to get around it without exploration because the both of them were was apparently a very good student, with very rich parents. Jisung's morale had increased by tenfold  over the weeks that had passed. Doyeon wondered if the feeling of relief and happiness she felt looking at him, was what her father had felt when he saw her slowly get better. Even now is he noticing her continued progression? It was a sweet thought, a nice change of pace from her usual attitude that leaned more towards pessimism. In less words; it was nice to see someone else climb out from the hole you once lived in.

~~

Jaemin hummed along to the tune of 'Someone Like You' by Adele, as his fingers danced across the piano. He faltered when he heard the sound of the front door being opened. He chose to ignore the sounds of keys being thrown onto the kitchen counter, of a jacket being tossed onto the stair railing, and the sound of footsteps approaching the music room. His mom appeared in the doorway, she watched intently as he played. "You missed a note." She told him, disapproval was evident in her voice. Jaemin stiffened, even more than he already had when she first appeared. 

"I was distracted." He said, trying his best not to fumble over his own fingers. 

His mom nodded, even though he couldn't see her movements, he knew exactly what she was doing. So he knew when she stood up straighter, and started walking out of the room. And he could hear her pause, and sense her looking back at him. "Can you run to Mr. Kim's house? His wife picked up a package for me earlier." She didn't wait for Jaemin's reply, instead she continued the walk down the hall to her bedroom.  

"Sure," Jaemin said around a sigh as he stood up, grabbing  his jacket from his room before he headed out.

 

He tucked the package under his arm as he walked back in the direction of his house. The sun had already set, which made it a bit creepy to have both earphones in. So, he removed the one that was in his left ear. He faltered as he walked past the park, he was on the opposite side of the street, but he was positive that he'd just seen Haechan out of the corner of his eye. He whipped his head to the side, and sure enough, Haechan had just walked out of the park. Jaemin quickly looked both ways before jogging across the street, he slowed down a bit, trying to follow behind Haechan without him noticing. His objective was to scare Haechan--who had just turned down the street that led to his house--but when he turned his head to the side as he passed the entrance to the park; that objective was completely forgotten. Doyeon sat with her head in her hands, from what he could see of her facial expression; she looked distraught. He was about to walk forward, but the sound of his phone dinging made him reluctantly grab the device from his back pocket. 

His mom had texted asking what was taking him so long, Jaemin's thumbs fiddled over the device for a minute. He eventually opted for sending a quick explanation of: 'The walk is taking longer than I thought it would.', before stuffing his phone back in his pocket. As he did so, he looked back in Doyeon's direction. 

For a second, he questioned if he should go up to her. Did she want anyone to bug her? Should he just wait until she starts heading home, then pretend to bump into her? He didn't feel right leaving her alone at night. He was pulled out of his thoughts as she jumped up from her seat on the swing. Just as quickly, she fell onto the ground, then laid back on the rubber mulch. Jaemin could tell something wasn't right, so for once, he didn't second guess himself as he walked up to her. 

 

~~

November rolled around quickly, and with it came a new page in her book of memories. Doyeon thought that it would be quiet for a while, considering Jisung's situation had only just been fully dealt with. But, now that Doyeon was standing by the entrance of the park, a grocery bag of chocolate she'd just purchased in her hand, and questioning how she kept finding herself into these situations. Doyeon toyed with the thought of just walking home, and not potentially over stepping some sort of boundary. She sighed, she wasn't good at turning a blind eye, especially when it came to a certain group of boys. 

Doyeon walked towards the swings, she took a seat on the open swing right beside the one the  boy occupied. "Haechan?" She asked, looking at him. He sat with his head in his hands, slouched over. He straightened up at the sound of his name. When Doyeon got a clear look of his face she realized just how bad he looked, there were dark circles under his eyes, and if she wasn't mistaken his whole face looked a little puffed like he'd been crying, or at least on the verge of doing so. 

"I-" he stopped speaking as soon as he'd started to. 

Doyeon waited a minute, but he still hadn't said anything. It seemed he was trying to find some type of explanation for why he was in the park alone at night, with red eyes. "Is something wrong?" She tried to coax him into speaking--which was weird for Haechan. He was similar to Chenle in that way, they were both very talkative. Though Chenle isn't  quite as abrasive as Haechan is. 

Haechan twisted his lips up, "I, uh...got kicked out" Doyeon's face pulled up in confusion, she wasn't sure if she'd heard him right, since he'd basically whispered. 

"You what?" She asked unsurely, she didn't want to make him repeat himself, but she also was truly confused as to what he'd said. Maybe it would have been better to just make up a reaction, because her words seemed to have moved him to his breaking point. 

"I got kicked out!" He yelled loudly. Doyeon's eyes widened a bit from the volume. Haechan slumped down, his head going back into his hands. "I made the mistake of getting a bit too daring, and I got kicked out." He sounded so defeated, something Doyeon had never heard from him before. Haechan was always happy, outgoing, loud, sarcastic--you get the point--he wasn't ever upset like this. Doyeon took a deep breath befo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter