015: Lights, Camera, Action

Like Stars In the Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

What do you do when a beautiful painting gets torn up? 

Van Gogh probably tossed out tens of paintings that would be in a museum now in days--was Jaemin's painting the same? If he hadn't gone to pick up the food, would of blue still be being added to his Starry Night? His famous painting. It's a waste of breath to ask those questions, after all, Juri's already added a bold streak of red across the canvas; ruining everything in the process. Jaemin was stuck in place as he watched the scene in front of him. He felt Doyeon nudge his arm; what did she want him to do? Go up and say something...yeah, that's probably exactly what he should do. Jaemin rolled up his sleeves as his legs took over and led him right in front of Juri's table. Doyeon didn't follow after him, she stayed where she was.

Jaemin slid into the chair right across from the mystery man. It was almost comical seeing the look on Juri's face as soon as she saw him. She was speechless, he could tell by the way her jaw dropped. "Who's this?" The man asked, seeming to have picked up on Juri and Jaemin knowing one another. 

Jaemin turned to him with a cocky smirk, "I think I should be the one asking you that question." Jaemin turned his gaze back to Juri, "Or maybe I should ask her?" The man looked between the two. 

"Juri, what is this guy getting at?" He asked, irritation growing in his voice. 

"Hanbin, I-" Juri couldn't even begin to explain. 

"Actually," Jaemin began, "I'll just answer your question first." He put his hand out towards the Hanbin guy, not actually expecting Hanbin to take him up on the hand shake. He was proven right when Hanbin slapped his hand away. Jaemin wasn't fazed by it, and instead continued on with the smirk still on his face. "I'm her boyfriend, or was I suppose." Even with the adrenaline pumping through his veins, saying those last words still hurt. Hanbin's eyes doubled in size, he looked at Juri in complete bewilderment. Jaemin stood up from the chair, "I'd love to stick around, but my friends waiting on me." In that moment Jaemin was incredibly thankful for Doyeon's presence. 

As soon as they got into the restaurant, Jaemin's face turned dark and he didn't say a word. Not when they grabbed the pizza, or during the ride back to Jeno's. Doyeon wasn't sure what she was supposed to say in a situation like this one. Jaemin came to a stop in front of Jeno's house, for a second they just sat there in silence. Until, Doyeon finally decided to say something, "I can tell the guys something came up and you had to get home." She would cover for him, she knew better than to expect him to want to share something like this right away. If he did, that was his choice, but if it were her...she wouldn't feel like saying a word. Jaemin looked over at her and shook his head. 

"I think they'll kill me if I leave now." He tried to laugh but it sounded hollow and way too forced. "Plus, they'll probably just think I'm lying so I can meet up with Juri." Her name came out of his lips in such a malice filled way. 

"They're better than that." Doyeon said softly. They all understood that some things just aren't easy to say. There was no way Jaemin wasn't hurting, but it wasn't hard to tell that he was acting like nothing had happened. A dam could start to break at any second; a façade of being okay wasn't any different. He wasn't some actor playing the role of an emotionless man, he was real. She knew the feeling of wanting to put on a mask, and act like the things taking place inside you were merely some sort of bad dream. "If you want to go in there and act like nothings wrong; you can go right ahead." Doyeon told him, "But, I think for your sanity you should just go home." 

"I'm going to go and act like nothing happened, right now the whole situation hasn't hit me." Jaemin said, unbuckling himself, "So, I'm going to go have a good time like I'd intended to." He was already opening the car door by the time he'd finished talking. Doyeon bit down on her bottom lip, so he'd decided to avoid the inevitable, feelings he'd have to face, she really can't blame him. That fact doesn't make her agree with his choice, but since when had she ever agreed with others? 

Doyeon got out of the car, pizzas in hand, Jaemin took them from her before heading for the door. As Doyeon began turning the door handle, she said just loud enough for Jaemin to barely hear, "Lights, camera, action." She opened the door all the way and walked in. Jaemin blinked, was she patronizing him? He let out a long sigh before following her inside. 

"There you guys are!" Haechan yelled, taking a box from Jaemin's hand. 


As the night went on, no one seemed to notice how Jaemin was a bit quieter, or how he just seemed a bit off in general. Maybe he was a better actor than Doyeon was giving him credit for, that or; the others are just more oblivious than she'd thought. Either way, it seemed Jaemin had accomplished what he'd set out to. The night came to an end without a hitch. 

Doyeon came down Jeno's staircase, expecting everyone else to have left. Right after the movie ended, Jun had come to whisk her away to see his newest toy. Chenle and Jisung had already been out of the door by the time she reached the top of the staircase--so she had no doubt that everyone else would have also taken their leave. But, to her surprise, both Jaemin and Mark were still there.

Mark was helping Jeno clean up the place, and Jaemin was just kind of standing there. Jeno noticed her, "Sorry about Jun, you know how he is." Jeno said, rubbing the back of his nape. He'd tried to explain to Jun that Doyeon didn't like being bugged, but the boy was just like his brother: he didn't care to leave her alone. "I told Jaemin to wait for you, so you don't have to go home alone." Doyeon's mouth made an 'o' shape. 

"It's fine," she said in regards to Jun. She looked over at Mark, "Are you coming?" She asked. 

Mark shook his head, "I'm just going to stay the night here, see you guys Monday." Doyeon nodded. When she looked at Jaemin he was still just kinda there, so she used her foot to nudge his shoe. It worked, and the boy blinked out of his haze. 

"You ready?" He asked fishing the keys out of his pocket. Doyeon nodded. They both said their farewells before leaving. The car stayed quiet while they began the short three minute  drive. He didn't speak until after they both got out of the car, and were about to go into their respective homes. As his hand landed on his front door handle, he looked over to Doyeon--who was doing the same--and said just loud enough for her to hear, "Scene." 
 

And with that, he let everything hit him.

~~~

His voice had been the last thing playing through her mind the night before, and now his violin was the first thing she heard in the morning. Doyeon creeped out of her bed, heading to the balcony door. She'd done this same thing multiple times, opening the door just enough for him not to notice, but for the noise to travel a lot clearer into her room. She'd never tell him about it though, how his playing was becoming a comfort to her. It had been a long time since he'd played the guitar, she missed it. He'd never finished teaching her that song, a big part of her was hoping he would now that they'd mended their friendship.

Doyeon was walking back to her bed, but suddenly the sound of the violin stopping made her freeze. A voice spoke out softly, and surprisingly it wasn't his. "Jaemin, can I please explain everything to you?" Juri asked. Doyeon's head whipped around as she walked back up to her door. Her hand grabbed the handle, just as she was about to open it a bit more to hear the conversation; her better judgement kicked in. This wasn't her conversation, nor was it her situation to even become involved in. She softly closed the door, and headed out of her bedroom completely. If Jaemin chooses to tell her what words get spoken during the conversation in his music room; she'll be sure to listen, but only if it's on his terms. 

~

Jaemin looked at Juri in disdain, "Who let you in?" He thought his parents had already left. 

"I ran into your dad on his way out, he told me you'd be up here." She said hesitantly, wringing her hands together in front of herself. She looked guilty, but Jaemin wasn't sure if she really was. She had also looked like she loved him, but you don't cheat on someone you love. "Listen-" she was cut off. 

"What makes you think I want to?" He asked, setting the violin down and standing up. 

"Because, you probably want to know why I did it." Juri said, "And I feel like I owe you an explanation...and an apology." 

Jaemin scoffed, "An apology because you truly feel sorry, or because you want to be forgiven before you move on with your life?" He asked, "Because if it's the latter, you're already forgiven so you can just leave and spare me the explanation." He was hurt. It wasn't like he didn't care about her at all, her actions did affect him. A lot more than he was letting on. But, he was trying to figure out how exactly he felt. He hadn't given this girl more than she gave him--he didn't think he had at least. Though now, he wasn't sure. He thought that she liked him more the entire time, that if anyone were to get hurt it would be her. That didn't make him feel good, so he'd decided he just wouldn't hurt her when they broke up. Or at least he'd try his hardest not to. But, maybe he had given more of himself than he'd received, because she had enough to give to two people. So, can he assume he'd gotten half of her? And the other half was just a mighty fine actress? He should have taken Doyeon's advice from the get-go, he shouldn't have started something that would have such a rocky finish. He didn't like her when he started dating her, not at all, but he'd grown to like her as time passed--just like she said he would. But, now he realized that he never liked her romantically, not to begin with, not during, and not after. The extent of it all was; he liked having someone that cared for him in a way his mother and friends didn't, someone who told him things like 'I love you', or was just there with love whenever he needed it. So maybe he'd used her just as much as she used him. 

"Jaemin, It's not like that! I really do feel bad. Can you please just let me explain? Please." Juri begged. Jaemin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter