011: Missing Out

Like Stars In the Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Note: I'm not sure if I mentioned it before in an A\N, but this story goes by the four year high school system. Sorry if that's confusing!  I usually go by  the Korean school system but for some reason I didn't this time,  idk why i went with the four year system lol. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter:)

~~

 

"Sorry," Doyeon yelped as she moved to the side. 

"No worries." Chenle said, the sound of the familiar voice immediately made all of Doyeon's embarrassment evaporate. Doyeon isn't close to Chenle, really she considered him an acquaintance, if anything. Whereas, Jaemin, Jeno, and Mark had grown on her a lot in the past year. But, because of the lunches Jaemin continued to make commonplace, Doyeon was able to know a bit more about the other boys her neighbor hung around. "Are you going out for ice cream tonight?" He asked. Jaemin and his whole plethora of friends decided to begin the summer by getting ice cream, since today is the last day of school. They decided it would be a sort of celebration that they had gotten through their second year of high school. 

Doyeon nodded, "Jeno and Jaemin are making me." She said it with her face screwed up in displeasure. 

Chenle snorted at her, "Well, see you later then." He offered a small wave before walking off. 

There was just one more class standing between Doyeon and a stress free summer. She was hoping to mirror last year's summer, when she did barely anything but sit in her room, sleep, and watch movies. But, she had an inkling that that was impossible when she lived right next to the equivalent of a human noisemaker. With a shake of her head she headed down in the direction of her homeroom. Just sixty more minutes. 

~

"Summer!" Mark cheered as the last bell rang and the teacher left the classroom. Doyeon smiled as she tossed all her books into her backpack. Freedom was sweet and finally in her grasp...for two months. "See you guys tonight!" Mark yelled, practically hoping out of the room. 

Jaemin tsked at his friend, before turning his attention to Doyeon, he was about to ask a question, but Jeno beat him to it. "You're still coming tonight, right?" He asked pointedly. Doyeon heaved a sigh but nodded nonetheless. Jeno's smile spread to his eyes. "See you guys there!" He said happily before walking out. Jaemin thought he'd finally be able to get a word in, but a figure to his side took all his attention. A girl he hadn't seen in two months stood right beside him. He recognized her right away, she's the one who had confessed to him. 

"Can I, uh, talk to you for a minute?" She asked, a pink flush on her face. Jaemin almost said no, but he couldn't bring himself to. He nodded before looking over at Doyeon. 

"See you tonight." He said. Doyeon hummed in acknowledgment, watching him leave with the girl. She didn't know her name, but was positive she'd seen her around the school before. She didn't have to question what the girl wanted with Jaemin, it was obvious by the look on her face. The girl had a cute air about her, something Doyeon's never had. With a shake of her head, Doyeon also walked out. Sticking her earbuds into both her ears as she  began the trek home. 

The trees were all a bright green, with different colored flowers decorating each one. The sound of laughter seemed to be easier to hear in Summer. When Doyeon was a young kid, she used to think Summer was the best season. All her neighborhood friends would play from dusk till dawn, the sound of the ice cream truck from a block down sending everyone into panic, as they rushed to go ask their parents for a few bucks. Even the sound of bikes on gravel felt like a permanent sound in her mind. But, as she grew older she began to love the quietness of winter...the intoxicating feeling of waking up to fresh snow littering the whole outside world. The excitement of waiting for her mother and father to pull into the driveway for three years straight. Those years were the ones that made her like winter a bit more than summer, because those winter years were quiet. 

Doyeon came to a stop at the playground, she noticed Jaemin and the girl from earlier sitting on a bench. They must have decided to walk while they talked. Unexpectedly, Jaemin's eyes snapped up and met hers. Doyeon blinked, not sure what to do. She hadn't been staring, he just happened to look up at the worst time possible. The best choice would probably be to walk away, but Jaemin held his hand up to stop her. Doyeon could see him flusteredly say his farewells to the girl. He jogged up beside her, nudging her to begin walking. 
"Why'd you tell me to wait?" She asked. 

"Because, Juri asked me out again, and I wasn't sure how to end the conversation." He explained. Again? Doyeon wondered. "I said I'd think about it, and get back to her." Jaemin explained with an uncertain sigh. Doyeon just nodded slowly, she hadn't asked what his response was; mostly because she didn't know how to reply to subjects like this. Talking about relationships wasn't her forttie, she would recommend Jeno to him. 

"That's cool." 

Jaemin snorted at her reply, "That's it? You aren't going to give me advice?" He asked. 

"Ummm, no?" Doyeon said uncertainty, was this where she should recommend Jeno? Jaemin shook his head. 

"I feel bad for whatever guy ends up falling for you."  He patted the top of her head, "He'll have to teach you how to show emotions." He smirked, I already started the job for him. 

~~~

Doyeon looked at the clock, it was already seven o'clock, which meant she would be a few minutes late to meet up with the others. Jaemin had left early, saying he had to stop by the store beforehand. Doyeon did a quick scan of the house, her dad was away on a business trip, and Taehyun was spending the night at a friends house to kick off summer.

Doyeon swung the front door open, grabbing her coat off the stand to the side of her. When she finally faced front, a sound she'd never heard come out of escaped. It was a mix between a yelp and a full scream of horror. 

Chenle stood right outside her front door, looking uneasy as he messed with his hair. "Can I...come in?" He asked unsurely. Doyeon wasn't sure what to say to her unexpected visitor, so she nodded. Moving to the side to give him room to walk in. 

"Jaemin's already at the ice cream shop." She informed him, just assuming he wanted to walk together or something. She wasn't sure if Chenle lived in her neighborhood, but it would make sense if that's how he found the time to stop by. 

Chenle sat himself down on the couch, putting his head in his hands. For the first time, Doyeon noticed how distressed he looked. "Is everything alright?" She asked, taking a seat on the chair opposite the couch. Chenle looked up, he began to nod but stopped himself. 

"To be honest; no it isn't." He racked a hand through his hair, "I'm sorry for showing up like this, but I'm embarrassed to go to one of the guys houses--and I remembered that you lived right by Jaemin, I figured you're also good at keeping secrets." He rambled on. Doyeon tried to understand what he was getting at, but she was completely lost. 

"Can you go a bit slower, please." She tucked on the last part, she didn't really know him enough to be impolite. 

Chenle looked up at her, "I ran away from home." He said embarrassed. Doyeon hummed in understanding, that explains why

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter