Pain

Beyond your eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Things had been going well for all of them. Tiffany had been spending every single day with her dad, he wanted to compensate all those years that he left her alone; he even told the girl that he was going to take a year off from work and that made her extremely happy. Life was good, it finally was.

Sunny and Taeyeon were spending almost every single day together playing video games. Sometimes they would go and buy tubs of ice cream that they would eat in one sitting. Yuri and Yoona enjoyed doing random stuff; like taking a walk, watch some movies, go to all kinds of restaurants, etc. They all knew that Tiffany wanted to spend time with her father and because of that they decided not to bother her for the rest of the holidays. It was actually unbelievable when the pink monster told them about her dad, but they were happy for her as they knew how much she loves him.

Jessica on the other hand, had been bonding with her friends. There wasn’t a day that went by without Taec visiting her; he was always taking care of her, cooking for her and doing anything he could just to make the girl happy and she was thankful for that.

 

It was Thursday afternoon; snow was falling heavily outside. The cold was supposed to be unbearable but Jessica didn’t mind. She was staring outside the window when a blur approached her face. She ducked so fast only to be kicked lightly on the chest, her back crashing onto the table that was behind her.

And then a laugh was heard.

A very familiar laugh.

She looked up and saw an old man laughing at her. His white hair resembling the snow shining brightly on his head. He was using a thick coat to protect himself from the cold harsh wind that had been blowing nonstop outside for quite a while now.

“You’re still the same Sooyeon.” He said, heading slowly towards the sofa that had been placed in the corner of her room a couple of days ago.

“And you look old now.” She said while watching him take a seat.

“Yet, you never saw me coming.” He smiled making her smile back at him. “It’s been years, isn’t it? Since I saw you.”

“Yeah, last time I checked, your hair wasn’t even gray.” That made the man laugh. “You can't beat the master.” His eyes showed tenderness.

“Well, some of us can’t help but age. I heard that you’re now assisting to SM High.” He said with a playful tone in his voice.

“Yeah, since last year.” She answered. She was now resting her back on the wall.

A smirk made its way to his mouth. “And my grandchild told me that you made new friends. He even said that two of them like you.”

Sooyeon rolled her eyes. “Are you staying here in Korea?”

The man smiled widely. “Yeah, but only for a few months. I’ll be staying at Heechul’s home." He stared at her with a serious face. "I want you to be happy Sooyeon.” He took a glance at his watch before standing up, Sooyeon remained in her place. “Oh my, look at the time. I’ve got some important meetings to attend to.” He took a book out of his coat and held it in his hands. “I really wanted to finish reading it, but I guess it’ll have to wait. You should read it Sooyeon, it’s an amazing book.” He showed it to her. Paths. It said. “Well, I got to go now. And you, you should enjoy your remaining days, there’s only 5 left after all.” He walked away disappearing in the door frame.

“You never change Seokjin Kim, always giving short but meaningful visits.” Sooyeon said smiling tenderly. “Time never slows down, huh?” She said, returning her head towards the window. "Now, I wish it did."

 

The next day, she was planning to have the day for herself as Seohyun and Irene already decided to go shopping. Jessica walked towards the kitchen and saw the book that Seokjin had in his hands the day before resting on top of her kitchen counter, she took it between her hands and got herself comfortable in the couch. She was about to read it when her phone started ringing. Annoyed, she picked up the call without looking at the caller’s name.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Sica! I’m I calling at a bad moment?”

The girl took a glance towards the book that remained in her lap, closing it slowly and setting it aside. “Not really, what’s up Sunny?”

The girl laughed a little making Jessica smile. “I just wanted to talk to you about something. I wanted to tell you first before telling the others.” Her tone became serious.

Jessica knew that something wasn’t right, the girl was always happy but right now she sounded  troubled by something. “Of course Sunny, I won’t say anything to them.”

Sunny’s breathing became heavy. “You see, I’ve been having some problems with my family. You know that this is our last semester in high school, we’re going to start choosing universities, attending tuitions and all that.” She sighed. “The thing is, that my mom told me during the days I spent with her that she wants me to choose business management as my career, she said that she’ll support me no matter where I want to study and that's the condition. But, when I told her that I want to study something related to music she laughed at me, she got mad and told me that I was just being stupid, that I was going to die of hunger if I choose that path.” She was sobbing by now. “She said that if I want to study that kind of thing, she wasn’t going to give me anything. I’ll have to work to pay the fees myself...I even tried asking the rest of my family for some kind of support but they all refused, they agreed with what my mom said.” Sunny’s voice broke and Jessica stayed quiet. She knew that it was an important matter for the little girl.

“And you, Sunny? What do you want to do? You have two choices, one is to follow your dream and the other one is to live under someone else’s expectations.” She spoke. She could hear the girl blowing her nose and trying to calm herself down.

“I want to follow my dream but I don’t know how to, the tuitions fees are so high and even if I get a job I would’ve to wait at least for two years to earn enough money. I know that I’m only good at playing games but I’ve always wanted to compose music, to write lyrics and create something beautiful that people can listen and feel it. I really want to do it. I've never told the other girls about it because it was my biggest secret, but right now I feel desperate” Her voice was shaking with each word.

Jessica closed her eyes, trying to think of a way to help her. There must be something, she knew that there was a way out, and that's when she remembered; there was one. “Sunny, a couple of days before the winter break I saw a paper on the bulletin board that’s near the music room. It said something about a singing competition on February, I don’t remember much but we can take a look when we go back to school.”

“But, how’s that going to help me?” The girl was confused.

“Because we can aim for a scholarship Sunny! That way, your expenses can be minimum to none, it all depends on what they can offer to you.” She heard her friend sigh in relief. “Just listen to me, you still have like a month left, just write a song and sing it at the competition. We´ll record it and send it to the universities you want.”

Sunny was happy, she could hear it, but a grunt came after. “Everything sounds perfect Sica, the problem is that I don’t know how to compose music and I can’t only write the song, there has to be music.”

Jessica caressed her head in frustration, things were complicated but it took a couple of minutes before a person came to her mind. “I know someone who can help us. He owns a studio and knows everything there’s about music and making music, I’ll give him a call and I’m sure that he’ll agree to help us. That way you’ll learn and we’ll have the song ready for the competition.”

Sunny smiled widely, her heart was beating fast. There was hope for her, even if it meant that she’ll fight for it herself, it didn’t matter because she wasn’t alone. “Thank you, Sica! Please ask him about it, I really hope that he agrees.”

“Don’t worry, he will. He owes me a lot.”

The midget laughed. “Who doesn’t, you go around saving people’s lifes just like that.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter