TTW 2.0 08 - Black Nighttime

To The World [incomplete, hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Serena patiently listened to her sixth date since the event had started. She didn't mind interacting with people, but she just didn't think she would find any use for this as she didn't care about looking for someone. So she tried to only engage as little as possible, but at least being interest in the conversation if the other person responded well. Anyways, Serena was surprised when she found out that the speed dating event had over sixty people participating so that meant two minutes per rotation to keep everything going accordingly. She and the other three were part of the first hour so that they were able to perform later on and they were all beginning to think that Gina was low-key keeping them on as a secret component to the Student Council.

Anyways, Black Nighttime just like the Black Daytime was a three hour event with various events going on as well. There was the speed dating with three rounds to split between the participating. The semi-final jjajangmyeon eating contest ran earlier that day to determine the champion tonight. A more lounge-like feel rant and vent space to talk about the lack of intimate relationships with fellow singles or life in general. The shirts were replaced with an arts and crafts time to make something for yourself and other accessories. A solo diners with stuffed animals as a companion and a booth selling solo merchandises with prices marked down even more than earlier that day. Now the Solo Karaoke was added as a surprised since it went well earlier that day and they decided to include it for the second part of the Black Day Festival.

"-So once I graduate and get a job-"

Serena zoned out her date wanting the two minutes to be up already. For some reason it felt longer and she wondered if it was because the guy kept talking about himself after introductions. Soon enough the timer went off and Sorin announced for the males to rotate again.

"I think we're a good match, Serena." The male said as he held up his clipboard with Serena's page marked with a check mark.

"Right. Thanks, Jaejun." Serena dismissed him with a wave and then wrote an 'x' on her page for him.

Jaejun was a nice guy, but she for sure knew that they did not match all that well. She felt no vibes with him and wondered how he could think they were a good match. She rotated her blank cards for the next person just as the person took a seat before her.

"Hi." She greeted when she looked up and was surprised to see Johnny in front of her.

"Hello to you, too. Surprised?" Johnny greeted with a laugh.

"Um, yeah."

She looked about their surrounding wondering if Jasmine had taken notice before focusing on Johnny again when she remembered that she couldn't see any of the other three from where she sat.

"Well, I'm Serena." She greeted with a small smile.

"Hello, Serena."

Johnny cast her a kind smile.

"I'm Johnny, but I think you knew that already."

Serena just nodded instead of answering.

"You must be wondering why I'm here, right?"

Johnny continued the conversation.

"Yes and no."

Johnny quirked an eyebrow which caused Serena to answer him honestly.

"Yes I'm curious why you're here, but then no as well since I don't really care for other people's reasoning and life."

"Oh, okay. Well then, let's cut to the chase since we only have two minutes."

"What chase?"

"Your friend, Jasmine."

Serena eyed him suspciously causing Johnny to laugh.

"Whoa, whoa. I just wanna know some things about her."

"She's participating in this so you could just find out when you're paired up with her later."

"Yeah, but it's a wait and why not learn some things about her from her friends before I reach her."

Serena regarded the male wondering if he was for real or not. She thought she'll help out her friend even though she tried not to meddle in other people's personal life.

"Okay. What do you wanna know?"

Johnny shot her the giddiest look and Serena wondered if she should be worry or not. Instead she let out a chuckle as Johnny asked questions in regards to Jasmine while she give him vague answers. Serena wasn't sure how to actually answer for sure and so hoped that Jasmine would clarify everything when Johnny did arrive at her spot. Just as they had like thirty seconds left of their moment did the male asked her something about her sister.

"Melanie? What about her?"

Serena eyed Johnny once again as Johnny let out a sheepish laugh.

"Hold on, hold on. It's not for me."

"Who's asking then? One of your buddies?"

"Yes, it's for a good friend of mine."

"Can I even trust this friend of yours?"

"Um, I trust him, but for you then you'll have to judge that yourself."

Serena eyed Johnny again before slightly smiling.

"You better introduce me next time. Anyways, why does your friend wanna know about my sister?"

"Well, he's a little interested in her and would like to get to know her better."

"Is he part of this, too?"

"Unfortunately, no, and so that's why I'm here to get some information."

"Right."

Just as Johnny was about to ask his question did Liyin interrupt him as the alarm went off that the two minutes were up.

"I guess I'll have to ask the others or herself. Depending on how this whole rotation works." Johnny commented as Serena agreed. "I guess so. Good luck."

"Thanks."

Johnny waved goodbye before moving on after writing something on his clipboard. Serena scribbled some things on her cards before looking up to see her seventh date. She silently let out a breath knowing this was gonna be a long night.

"Shinwon? What? Why are you here?" Melanie asked her friend when he plopped himself into the seat across from her.

Shinwon cast her a cheeky grin.

"I'm speed dating, Melanie, obviously."

"I can see that, but why?"

"I had nothing else to do."

Melanie rolled her eyes, but a small smile still graced her face.

"I thought you would be out and about eating McDonalds or practicing your rocking skills."

"I ate it earlier and no rocking skills tonight."

The friends share a laugh as Shinwon spoke again.

"Anyways, Hwitaek promised that he'll treat me to dinner after this."

"Why? Is he here, too?"

"Yeah. He forced sign me up to join this speed dating thing since our other friends bailed on him."

"Yikes, that's not fun, but I thought he was dating Seungyeon?"

"No. They broke up last year."

"I see. Thought they were gonna last."

"So did the rest of us, but nope. Now he's searching for someone else."

"Hmm, I wonder if he'll have fun with Serena."

"Oh, is she doing this, too?"

"Yup, but not of her own free will."

"That sounds like her, but Hwitaek would be happy to see a familiar face among a potential candidate."

"That is if Serena wants to date."

"True."

"Anyways, you know that you could of have opted out of this whole thing, right?"

"I could, but then I wouldn't know why you're sitting here trying to hook up with someone then."

"I'm not."

He shot her a look.

"I'm being for real." Melanie told him. "Gina signed me up without my knowledge."

"Sounds like something she would do."

"Yes, but honestly for real, Shinwon, I'm not really looking for someone."

"Is it because of your ex?"

"Yes and no."

Shinwon waited patiently for Melanie to explain herself.

"Scott was a jerk, yes, but it's not because of him that I don't wanna date again. I'm enjoying my single life and just going with the flow."

"Okay, okay. I believe you on that."

He looked around him before gazing at Melanie again.

"So what are you doing after this?"

"Probably help clean up. Why?"

"We can grab dinner and hang out."

"I thought you're supposed to have Hwitaek treat you out."

"Oh I can do that all the time with him, but you, you're always busy."

"Because I am."

"Right. Just the other day I asked if you were free and you say yes, but then bailed on me."

"School work is so annoying."

Shinwon rolled his eyes, but had a smile on his face.

"Sure. Anyways, when are you free to hang out?"

"Maybe this weekend. Oh, wait. Not this weekend. I gotta help with another Student Council event."

"Hm, by now, I'm surprised you're not part of the Student Council."

"I know right, but anyways, I'll let you know when I'm free."

"You better. By the way, why did Gina sign you up though?"

"I have no clue. Maybe not a lot of girls signed up or something. Dunno, but I get credit for participating though."

"Must be nice."

"It is."

"Do you think she could do that for me?"

"I dunno. You're gonna have to ask her."

"Can't you do that for me?"

"No."

"Wow. What a friend you are."

"I know."

The two shared a laugh as the two friends continued to talk until the alarm rang signaling for the males to rotate to the next female. The two waved goodbye to one another as Melanie politely smiled at her next date. Unlike Serena, Melanie didn't mind this whole thing. She wondered if she would have time to try out the diner before they ran out of things on their limited menu.

"Thank you, ladies and gentlemen!" Sorin and Liyin announced once the last rotation ended.

"You'll find out your results in the next day or two." Liyin informed the group. "We'll e-mail your match and hope that all of y'all work out!"

"And if not," Sorin interjected with a smile, "Then we hope that you guys can be friends or try again next time."

"So thank you for participating." Liyin thanked them once more as Sorin announced the second round.

"We hope everyone for the second round are here and that we can get it started soon."

The quartet conversed about their time during the Speed Dating as they made their way to the prepared stage for their performances.

"I think this year is looking out for me or something, but I had a great conversation with Johnny." Jasmine stated with an excited tone.

"I would hope so because he can actually tell you and I apart." Katherine mused with a knowing look. "I can't believe he participated."

"Me either, but I hope we match."

"I think you guys should." Melanie assured. "He did ask about you when he was with me."

"Oh, me too." Serena confirmed. "It was kinda weird, but if you guys don't match then what's gonna happen?"

"To give up and move on." Jasmine said with a defeated tone before brightening up a moment later. "Which reminds me, did anyone figured out which friend of Johnny's was interested in Melanie."

Jasmine looked over at Melanie expectantly as Melanie shook her head.

"He wouldn't even tell me who it was eithe

Please log in to read the full chapter