Chapter 22

The Fox On My Doorstep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The night was so cold and the wind blew hard, a typhoon had visited the land, the rain is currently pouring hard but Momo still manage to hear the knocking on her door, confused about who would visit her at this ungodly hour Momo approached the sound to see who it was, cold air hits her face as the sound of the rain became louder. Momo freezes upon seeing her sudden visitor, she couldn't believe her eyes.

"Hi~ how are you? I'm still your fiance right?" Said the one whom she hadn't seen for what feels like a long time, the one she thought she had lost forever. Momo covers in shock as her tears started to flow, she engulfed the woman in a tight hug, glad that she could feel the latter's warmth and happiness that they could be together again.

"Mitan-" The thunderclaps loudly, waking Momo up from her slumber, face wet with tears, upon noticing that it was just a dream, her heart clench as she puts her hand on her chest in hopes to ease the pain, her free hand hovers muffling the painful sobs without even knowing the reason why? She doesn't even know that woman in her dream nor she had met her but here she is, crying her heart out, longing for someone she doesn't even know.

"Just who are you?" She asked, only hearing the sound of heavy raindrops as a reply. Ever since she had woken up from her deep sleep, she had always dreamed of the same woman and it confused Momo on how it felt real when she has no memory of the said person. Momo tried to shrug it off but how could she when she always finds herself crying every time she wakes up.

Morning came and thankfully the heavy rain had stopped though the sky is still gloomy. Momo got out in her boots, the land is so muddy that she was having a hard time walking around but she's still glad that the storm didn't do that much damage to her crops. "Ahhh~ thank you for being strong for me!" She exclaimed, a wide grin beaming on her face as she proceeded to clean her muddy farm.

"Momo-chan~ it's been a while! I haven't seen you in a long time, did something happen?" Saito, one of Momo's loyal veggie buyers asked as he put away the tomatoes from Momo's truck. Momo scratched her nape, laughing. "I got sick so I wasn't able to deliver any goods here." Momo replied refusing to tell the old man that she was robbed and was almost on deathbed if it weren't for the kind traveler. "Aaahhhh! You should take more care of yourself Momo-chan~ I'll be sad if I couldn't buy vegetables from you." The old man sulked earning a giggle from Momo.

" I will be more careful from now on, I promise!" Momo replied smiling brightly. "Here, have some rice cake. My wife made that!" Saito beamed as he hands it to Momo, to which the latter gladly accepts.

" By the way.." Saito mused looking around as if searching for something. " I don't see your pretty friend." He asked before fixing his gaze back to Momo who was confused. " Friend?" Momo asked back, " Yeah, the one with long silky brown hair, pretty face with moles scattered around it, but the prominent one is the one on the bridge of her nose.." Saito told her and Momo's heart skipped a beat, the woman he described was in no doubt the one that's always in her dreams, Momo suddenly felt lightheaded.

"Are you alright??" Saito asked really worried. " You turned pale."

"I felt a bit dizzy... I'm fine. Thank you for today, I'll just head over to Uncle Tadahiko. They must be worried about me." Momo bids as she boards her truck, waving goodbye at Saito from the window of her vehicle.

"Momo!" Riho exclaimed as she saw Momo going out of her truck, she quickly rushes towards her and engulfed her with a tight hug before checking up on her. "Where have you been? Were you sick? What happened?" The old woman bombarded her with questions making Momo chuckle.

"I'm fine auntie~" She replied.

"You haven't shown up for more than a month, me and Riho tried to visit you but we always end up getting lost." Tadahiko speaks as he approaches them.

"I was sick and bedridden for almost a month. I'm sorry for making you worried by the way I've brought cabbages, lettuce, and spinach."

"Tadahiko's men will get the vegetables. Come inside let's eat, I've just finished making lunch." Riho mused ushering Momo inside the house.

"Dahyun! Let's eat! Momo is here!" Riho called out, they heard a thud and a crash
then a series of footsteps going down the stairs before Dahyun popped out, hair disheveled with a wide grin on her face.

"Onee-chan!" She exclaimed as she jumps on her for a bear hug. "Where have you been?? Were you sick? What happened???" Dahyun asks the same question her mother did and Momo can't help but to laugh.

"I was just not feeling well that I couldn't visit, I'm fine now so don't worry."

"Both of you have a seat now, the food is ready. Tadahiko will be joining us shortly." Riho called the both of them to take a seat, minutes later Tadahiko joined them as well.

"Make sure you eat well Momo." Riho told her as she places a piece of fried breaded pork in Momo's bowl.

"Can I ask you guys something?" Momo mused looking down on her miso soup, the other three instantly look up waiting for Momo to continue.

"During my past visits here... was I with someone?" Momo asked and the family she's talking to looked at each other, confused at Momo's question. Tadahiko was the first one to speak. "You were, and the two of you seem really close."

" Uhuh! She was overprotective of you! I can still clearly remember how she glared at me when I hugged you" Dahyun added with a pout, shivering at the thought.

"Why did you ask my dear?" Riho inquired.

"Saito-san was looking for her earlier... But I can't seem to remember who she is nor the memor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter