The Secret Place

Day by Day

-This chapter will mainly focus on Taemin's POV-

 

Do I really not like winter? No, not really. I don't mind the weather or anything. It's just that winter doesn't hold very good memories for me. I'd rather not replay the reason why at the moment. Right now, Sulli's taking me somewhere. I tried to ask her where, but she told me to shut up. Her hands are still holding onto mines, pulling me to a destination that I don't know of. I still haven't figured out why I had not said no to her. It's been a while now. I look around to see tall trees around me. We're getting deeper into the forest, I guess this is what it is, and it's getting foggier now and it's hard to see at this point. The only sounds I can here are me and Sulli's feet stepping onto piles of broken branches on the snow. She tells me's not going to let me waste this year's winter. I don't know why she's doing this, but I really don't think she can help me on that. I want to tell her my reason, but I don't want to go into details with her. I can't tell if we're really friends or not anyways. But really, I'd rather stay home right now and take a nap. Aish.. my palms are sweating now. I wonder if she noticed that. How embarassing..  I wince a little and  look at her face to see if it shows any expression, then I stare at her hands clutching mines. Her smooth hands are touching mines. It feels kind of nice actually. I want to let go of her, but I don't know, I kind of like it this way. I smile stupidly to myself for a while, then I stop smiling.

Wait Taemin, you don't actually like this do you? Are you going crazy? You shouldn't be led on by this girl. You don't even like her and she doesn't like you.. right? So let go of her hand and go home. I have come to the realization of what I am actually bringing myself into and shake my hand off of Sulli's. She's surprised and looks at me questionably.

"What's wrong?" She looks into my eyes and comes closer to me. Now that I notice it, her eyes are really pretty. It looks at me with curiousity now. As my body comes closer to hers, I finally realize I'm staring into her eyes too long. I blink then put on my straight face.

"I've decided to go home now.. Bye." I awkwardly start to turn to leave, but then I hear her laughing behind me.

"Stupid Taemin we're already here. You're going to get lost anyways." I stop and quickly turn my head around. My eyes look around to see where we are at. I spin my body around, but I still can't figure out where this is. I spin to the point where I start to get dizzy and almost collapse to the ground. I regain my balance to keep myself from falling then straighten myself up. I stand there and slump my shoulders. All I see are trees, snows, and even more snow. I don't get it. I turn back to find Sulli, but I don't see her. What the- where is she?! My heart starts pumping loud and fast as I start to panic. Is she abandoning me? Is she going to jump out at anytime and choke me to death, killing me at the spot, then leave my dead body here? I begin to feel uneasy and decide to make a run for it. I've only gained a few steps until I felt a cold wet ball knock my head. I roll down on the snow and my eyes wander around cautiously. I freak out and begin to shout out her name.

"SULLI?!" I breath frantically waiting for a response. Only seconds later I hear uncontrollable laughter coming out from the trees. I quickly turn my head and squint my eyes to the right where the noise was coming from to see Sulli. I slow down my breathing. Flustered, I begin to feel my cheeks burning red after realizing the actions that I had just done right in front of her. She scooped up another ball of snow in her hand and threw the wet clump of ball aimed at my head and laughed some more. I shake the snow off of my hair and shoot her a death glare.

"YAH!!" I scream at her with rage. Well, she doesn't seem to care as she continues to laugh and pulls me her innocent look.

"Taemin, have you really never played in the snow before?" She looks at me jokingly like she's in shock. To be quite honest, I have, though it has been a long time since I did ever since me and Taesun were still little children. Taesun and I would wake up early every morning to play in the snow before school would start. We often had snowball fights in the front yard while waiting. The loser would have to make the winner hot cocoa when they got back home from school. I would lose most of the time though so I would have mostly been the one making Taesun the hot cocoa while he would be the one watching TV on the couch. Now that I think about it, I miss those times, but there will never be a way to make them come back anyways, so I try not to remember. I stand there staring at my feet and say nothing. Sulli is staring at me with her hands in her pockets weirdly now. 

"No." I spoke, but it sounded more like a whisper. She purses her lips and slowly nods.

"Have you ever made a snow angel before then?" A snow angel. I've seen it in movies before, but I've never actually made one. Before I can open my mouth to answer her question, she suddenly pushes me by my chest. I fall on my . Oh god it aches now. I wince in pain and look up at her while rubbing it. 

"You didn't have to push me." I shout at her. She ignores me and falls on the snow on her back. Wow.. her skin is almost as pale as the snow if you compare them together. I stare at her in surprise. She starts moving her arms and legs around in the snow, smiling. I turn over and narrow my eyes at her.

"Isn't the snow.. dirty? I don't want to get myself dirty. Plus, these are designer clothes." I try to get up. She rolls her eyes at me and leans over and before I can react, she pushes me onto my back. I hear a thud as I felt the pressure of the snow hit my back as I fall onto it. Well, at least it doesn't hurt as much this time. She turns her head over to face me. 

"What are you doing just laying there? Move your arms and legs like this." She demonstrates and flaps her arms and legs on the snow. I bit my upper lip and hesitantly start to do the same. This actually seems really relaxing. I made a little smile as I continue to flap my arms and legs. Sulli sits up looking over at me and giggles.

"You're really enjoying this are you? Get up and see." She stands and gives me her hand to help me up. I take it and she pulls me up. I turn over to see two snow angels next to each other. 

"Waah we actually made good snow angels." I chuckle and look at her who smiles back at me. I'm not going to lie now, they really do look nice. Ah.. so this is what it feels like to be like the people in the movies. She walks next to her snow angel and plops down beside it. 

"Ugh I think I'm going to rest now.. my legs are tired." She groans and stretches out her legs and rubs them with her hands.  I hesitate, but then I walk over and sit down next to her. I put my legs up, fold my arms on top of my knees, and rest my head on them. I look over at her pale white face that focused on her legs. It's silent and no one says a thing. I awkwardly look at the snow and my lips, then I remember what I was going to ask her.

"I've been meaning to ask this before but, why did you choose to take me here?" I my head to the side. She stops doing what she was doing. She puts her legs up as well and wraps her arms around it and sighs.

"This place doesn't look like anywhere special to you doesn't it?" She chuckles quietly. I shrug. She then begins to speak softly.

"My parents used to take me here every winter when I was younger. I has been.. 2.. 3 years since I had last come here actually. My dad found this place 12 years ago and brought me and my mom here. We found out that no one comes here anyways and from then on, this was me and my parent's personal area to play during the winter. We had all the space we needed without anyone taking it over, so we would make all the snowmen and have as many snowball fights as we could. But ever since my mother's death over 3 years ago, my dad didn't bother to come here with me anymore so we eventually both stopped coming. I planned to visit this place again before. I was going to come here alone, but I took you with me anyways. To be honest, I didn't actually intend to. But it's nice bringing someone else here with me. It feels better to share it to another person besides yourself anyways." Her lips curve into a small smile.

I thought about the pictures of her and her family that I saw back at her house when I was going through her things while she was sleeping. I didn't think that her mom was not with her anymore. I observe her face. It was not her usual bright smile, it looked more sorrow. I honestly don't know what to do in these kinds  of situations. That was one of the few good things I didn't inherit. Instead, Taesun did. He was always so good at this which was one of the many reasons I looked up to him. I don't know what to do but pat her softly on her shoulder. This is the first time I see her truthfully sad or hurt. I've never seen here like this before even at school so it's a strange feeling to see her like this and as I hate to admit it, it don't like this feeling.

What are you doing Taemin? You can do better than this. I pondered over a way to cheer her up in my head and smile to myself. I act quickly and grab a handful of snow and stuff it on her face with my hand. I quickly move away from her. I look back at Sulli who looks surprised and is still trying to wipe out all the snow on her face. HA HA Success. I clutch my stomach and teasingly point at her while laughing really hard. She rubs her eyes and looks at me, annoyed.

"What are you doing?" She asks me, but it was more like screaming.

"Snowball fight." I give her a smug smile. She's starting to come over and before I can scurry off on my knees, she gets on top of me and throws in a handful of snow on my face. I nearly choke on the snow that got in my mouth and I'm laying here now trying to spit out the snow out of my mouth. She seems to be having fun with this as she bursts into laughter. I just lay there and she still laughs uncontrollably and it's the funniest laugh I've ever heard. I begin to laugh at her, too.

"Yah why are you laughing at me?" She hasn't stopped laughing yet and throws another handful of snow in my face. I haven't stopped laughing as well and now my chest is beginning to hurt. 

"Sorry it's just your laugh is so contagious." I wipe the tears that came out of my eyes and smile at her. She playfully gasps and is about to throw a bigger pile on my face. Oh hell no.. I don't have time to think so I grab her arms and roll on top of her. I smile in victory and she is still laughing. My face accidently comes too close to hers and my eyes begin to lock onto hers and she flashes her twinkling eyes that smile at my own. My heart stops for a moment. Her eyes are already beautiful, but it is more beautiful now when it smiles. Our lips are inches away from each other's. My heart is beating faster now. Why is it beating so fast? I stop smiling as I stare at her soft pink lips in astonishment. She must have noticed it and she stops smiling as well and her pale cheeks begin to turn noticeably into a soft pink color as she stares intently at me. Embarassed, I nervously try to get off of her, but slip so I have fallen on top of her again. I don't have time to try again before she pushes me off of her. I  quickly straighten up and clear my throat.

"Sorry about that." I pull out my hand to help her up and she shyly takes it and gives me a smile like nothing had happened at all. 

"That's fine.. Why don't we go out and eat now?" She talks but stutters a little. She stuffs her hands into her pocket and goes right ahead of me. I stuff my hands in my pockets as well and I can't help it but smirk a little as I think about what just happened as I follow her from behind.

 

At first we walked around in silence for a few minutes, but that was okay because sooner we suddenly started talking about our favorite food. She told me she loves ice cream and begged me to take her to eat some. I was craving for ice cream as well, but it's too cold outside to eat ice cream so I hesitantly refused. She tried to do aegyo, but I was trained to not fall for them anyways keke. I still refused and she got upset at me. But after a while, I got her to eat agree to eat bulgolgi with me. Don't I always get things my way? Yes I do because Taemin is always successful.

The waiter has just come back with our bulgolgi. I stuff the edges of a napkin in the collar of my shirt. I don't want my clothes to get dirty, so I get some more. Sulli gives me the are you serious look. I scrunch my nose at her and as I pick up my spoon to try to scoop some in my bowl, Sulli's already scooping a few scoops into hers. I stop and watch her eat the bulgolgi.. or more like inhaling it into . I can't help but stifle a laugh watching her eat like this.

"Slow down pig Sulli you're not going to leave any for me like this." She looks up and scowls at me. I chuckle at her reaction. Her perfect, luscious lips are all covered in the red glazing sauce... wait.. what? Well, anyways, I am actually astonished at how much this girl can really eat. I want to play around with her so I pretend to look at her in amazement. 

"So you're the type of girl who uses food as make up? It doesn't suit you you know. Wipe your mouth you're beginning to look more like a pig and you're eating like this in front of a man. That's not very lady like." I chuckle at her as I scoop up some bulgolgi for myself. Sulli stops eating and frowns at me.

"Really? You don't seem like one though. You even use a bib to eat. " She grabs a napkin and starts quickly wiping the sauce off of her lips.

"I told you before that these are designer clothings. How can I have them filthy? And I am a man! I can prove it." I got up and point at my Adam's apple as I shout at the top of my lungs with fury.The whole restaurant starts staring at me weirdly and they all go silent. The manager is looking at me like he's pissed off at me, signaling that I may get kicked out of here if I don't sit back down. I my lips and uncomfortably sit back in my seat as I snatch off the napkin on my collar and tear it up. I glare at her and she's biting her lip trying not to laugh. I glance at her cheek and the stain is still on her face. 

"You still have some sauce on your face." I mumble and motion where it is by hovering my index finger over my face.

"Where?" She tries to wipe it off. She still hasn't got it yet. I impatiently sigh because it's so frustrating.

"Here I'll show you." I lean over to take her hand and lead it to the spot on her cheek. She freezes right in the spot and stares at me as I use her hand to wipe it for her. I can hear a couple of girls from the table to our side and I look over and they're squealing over us. My ears start to burn and I can feel my face start to turn red so I clumsily sit back in my seat. I continue to eat while Sulli eats properly this time. We are too embarassed to say anything to each other anyways so we eat in silence.

After we were done eating, I decide to pay the bills. Sulli tells me she has to come home now so her father won't get mad at her and I decide to walk her home. We stroll over to her house and finally get there.

[Sulli's POV]

I open the door and check inside. Appa's not home yet. I turn back to Taemin who was already walking out along the sidewalk. I wave to him goodbye. He gives me a shy crooked smile and gives me a small wave. I close the door behind me and I bit my lip and smile. Did I just spend my whole day with  Lee Taemin?  The same boy that I had despised in school. I thought about the day and I smile to myself as I start to skip over to my room, but then I caught a glimpse of a piece of paper on the kitchen countertop. I freeze and walk over to it. It's a note. I open it.

Sulli I'm very sorry that I didn't tell you beforehand, but I am to go on an important business trip to Japan until mid January. I meant to tell you yesterday, but you looked so peaceful in your sleep, so I didn't want to disturb you. I don't think it will be later than that. I promise. On the bright side, I might be able to get a promotion.

P.S. Appa loves you~

I crumple the paper up and throw it in the trash bin.This always happen.. How pathetic. He had said to me that he will spend at least the New Year with me this year. Should have seen this coming. I'm too used to it now to cry over it anyways.

[Back to Taemin's POV]

I throw my coat to the side of the room and jump on my bed. I burrow my face into my pillow. I'm tired so I'm going to take a nap. I'm about to fall asleep until I hear my phone ring. It's Minho. I lazily pick it up.

"Hyung what is it?"

"Taemin-ah! Are you busy in the next two week?" 

"No why?"

"I'm having a small party next next Saturday just for fun for the New Year countdown. My parents let me have the house to myself while they're vacationing in Hawaii. Not that many people are coming. You should be thankful that I'm specifically inviting you." I hear Minho chuckle through the phone.

"A party can't be fun with only so little people." 

"How is the party going to be boring? Key's coming."

"Ah." I thought about previous parties with Key and concluded that it was true. One time Key got so drunk that he unknowingly kissed Jonghyun on the lips. The two didn't talk for a while after that.

"Taemin what's taking you so long. Are you coming or not?" Hm. Why not? 

"Mm... Sure." 

"Alright then. Bye Taeminnie."

Minho then turns off his phone and I turn off mine. When hyung said Taemin, I automically thought of Sulli and her smiling face. I shake my head, trying to get rid of those thoughts. I put it to the side of my bed and slump back into bed.

I check the time and it is 6:32. Today has gone by really fast. I had  practically spent the whole day with Sulli. How did that just happen? I thought about today and the moment where I fall on top of her keeps replaying in my head. Aigoo.. how embarassing. But somehow, I don't regret it. I tightly hug my pillow as I bit my lip and smile to myself. What am I thinking? I'm too tired to understand myself anymore though.Thankfully no one can see me here and I laugh at how pathetic I must seem right now.

 

Sorry if this chapter is a little long. But please comment if you may do so and have a great day.  :D