Zero

Day by Day

"Hello, Mr. Sun?" 

"What? Who is this calling at a time like this? It's almost midnight! My shift is almost ending!" Mr. Sun shouted disgruntedly on the other end, already feeling weared out from having the thought of another customer to deal with this late at night.

Taemin had long considered Mr. Sun his close uncle. He had been there for Taemin since the boy was in his middle school years and was especially the taxi driver dependable on Taemin's trips around the city in search of Taesun. 

I guess it is late.. Taemin nervously bit his lip and winced at the tone of the man's voice.

"Ah.. It's Taemin. I'm really sorry to bother you. I can ju- "

"Taemin-ah!" Mr. Sun's cackle could be heard roaring through the phone's speakers once he finally recognized Taemin's voice. The cheerful laughter of Mr. Sun heard on the other line quickly alleviated Taemin's worry of possibly disrupting the man's peacetime. Taemin chuckled in relief.

The man absolutely hates his job, but he could never turn his head away from a request by Taemin, the boy who he already thinks of as his own son. 

"It's been so long since I've heard from you. Do you need me to come help you with anything?" His voice eased down as he spoke to Taemin.

"Mmm.. I'm right at the corner near Minho's house. Can you come pick me up? I don't have a ride home."

"Oh, is that so? Are you alone or is there someone coming with you?"

Taemin pursued his lips together as he turned his head back to glance down at Sulli who was quietly snoring away whilst sleeping peacefully on the whole entire bench. He broke into a smile as he watched her smack her lips hungrily in her sleep, probably dreaming about delicious food.

"I have someone coming with me." 

"All right, I'll come pick you up."

"Thank you very much, ahjuhssi."

With the end of the conversation, he closed the phone as he went over to sit on the other arm of the bench that wasn't occupied by Sulli's head. He rested his chin his fist as he took out the tickets to the Super Junior concert in the earliest of February. He sighed while observing the crumpled ticket in front of him as he remembered the talk with Key in the car.

 

"You know, Taemin, it's almost graduation time. Have you thought about where you're going yet?"

Taemin groaned in resent to the topic which related to school. He hated talking about school and school itself with a passion. 

"No, why?"

Key smiled broadly before proceeding the conversation.

"I've been recently accepted by a school in London to study fashion." Taemin could feel his heart thump against his chest with Key's announcement.

"London?" Taemin cocked an eyebrow in surprise as he reiterated the word. Key confirmed his future destination with a nod.

"Saint Martins. Andrew, a friend of mine whose a student there, helped me send in my designs.. and they loved it." Key slowly shook his head while having the brightest grin on his face as if he still found it unbelievable that his dream has indeed become a reality. 

"I haven't told anyone this yet.. ha. Not even Jonghyun. But, I have decided to move to London by the end of the summer."

"Oh.. really? Congrats." Taemin congratulated Key with a weak smile as he slightly pumped his fist up, but struggled to hide his feeling of disappointment at the thought of his hyung moving to a place so far away from Seoul and especially away from him. Sure, he was happy for Key. It had been his lifelong dream to get into a college overseas in which he can pursue his dream of becoming a fashion designer.  And it was even more incredible that Key has been accepted into one of the top respected fashion schools internationally.

"Ah, Jonghyun. He told me he wants to work with music after we finish high school. Onew and Luna are thinking about going to a university in the U.S. together. I think it was.. Princeton? Minho wants to be a photographer while travelling around the world, taking pictures. I never would've thought, really. I imagined him leaning more over to sports. Guess not." Key laughed. 

Truthfully, he knew where this was going. Taemin hated himself for being so selfish, but it hurt him to really believe that the whole group will eventually seperate as they grow older to chase their own dreams while as far as he knew, besides finding his brother, he had none. Zero.

"We can't all stay with you forever, Taemin, including Sulli. She's intelligent and fits all the criterias a perfect student should have. Who knows how many schools will beg to have her studying on their campus?"

What does Sulli have to do with this? Taemin frowned as he lifted an eyebrow at Key.

"What are you trying to say?" 

 Key rolled his eyes at Taemin as he hastily took out the tickets in Taemin's pocket.

"Ask her out already!" Key exclaimed impatiently as he waved the tickets up in the air. He sighed as he forcefully took Taemin's hand out and slammed the tickets on the middle of his palm. "Time doesn't wait for you to finally confess to Sulli forever. She can't wait either! Aigoo, you don't even have a goal for yourself besides searching for Taesun. He would've wanted you to do something good for yourself!"

Taemin pouted as he scrunched his eyebrows and tilted his body back, stunned by Key and his high-temper. Key gritted his teeth, annoyed by his own temper. He straightened his posture and soothed his voice down as he gave Taemin a gentle smile.

"Just think about it, okay?" 

 

After Mr. Sun helped Taemin carry Sulli into the back seat of the cab, he still couldn't stop glaring suspiciously at the two. Taemin frowned from discomfort once he caught his uncle's squinting eyes which reflected onto the rear view mirror.

"What is it, ahjuhssi?"

Mr. Sun sniffed and twitched his nose as he turned away like nothing had really happened at all.

"Are you taking your friend home with you?" He asked Taemin casually. 

Taemin tilted his head as he pondered about whether to take Sulli back home or back to his house, but he knew for sure that he would want to take her home with him.

Taemin groaned. What am I thinking? I should probably check if she brought her keys first. He thought as he started searching through Sulli's purse, but stopped in the middle as another thought occurred to him. But, I can't just enter her home let alone rummage through her purse without permission. She's already asleep, so I can't wake her up just to open the door. Hmm, I guess I'll have to..

"I'm taking her home with me." Taemin responded with a cheerful grin on his face.

 

The ride home consisted of uncomfortable stares by Mr. Sun, so Taemin decided to stay silent merely due to the awkwardness.

The sky of the night dimmed into the darkest shades of black. Taemin's eyelids were beginning to grow heavier by the second. Right when his drowsy lids were about to fully close, he felt a heavy object thud onto the side of his head. His whole body flinched in surprise from the startling impact.

Aish, what was that? 

Taemin furrowed his eyebrows as his eyes lazily opened again. He turned his head to the side to find Sulli sleeping soundly, head placed on his shoulders.  The strands of her side bangs slowly parted down from her forehead, covering her eyes as she moved her head. Taemin grinned at how cutely she subconsciously tried to rub them off her eyes with the back of her fingers in her sleep.

As he tried to carefully caress her hair away from her face and to the back of her ears, he jumped in complete terror from Mr. Sun's abrupt utterance.

"Are you perhaps.. taking the girl to your house to...?"  

Taemin's eyes widened as his cheeks instantly grew crimson red once he figured out what Mr. Sun thought he was trying to do.

"Oh! No! No, she's just a friend.. She fell asleep at the party, so.." Taemin mumbled as he scratched the back of his ear from embarassment.

"Ahh.. is that so? That's a relief then. Almost all the time, I see unmannerly young men, sometimes even the same ones, carry different women each night into my car with them. Most of the time they're unconscious. Looking at you two, I was worried you were doing the same. How silly of me." Mr. Sun sniggered.

"Oh.. really?" Taemin laughed awkwardly with him in the back until Mr. Sun suddenly gave Taemin a suspicous stare.

"Yah Taemin-ah, are you sure she's not your girlfriend then?" 

Taemin blushed and covered his mouth with the back of his hand as he hiccuped to Mr. Sun's uncomfortable question.

"S-Sulli? No.. she's just a friend. That's all!" Taemin tried to exclaim confidently as he cringed a smile. Oh how he really wished Mr. Sun would stop asking him these questions. Mr. Sun only smiled to his answer.

"A friend? Not in the way I see you look at her." Mr. Sun chuckled quietly as he whispered, "She's pretty. Hold on to her for a long time. You two look good together."

Not knowing what to say, Taemin nodded a thank you as he gave Mr. Sun a small smile.

As Taemin glanced at sleeping Sulli, he smiled shyly while playing with his seat belt as he replayed Mr. Sun's remark in his head. She's pretty. Hold onto her for a long time. You two look good together.

 

Sulli somnolently blinked her eyes as she awakened to the rhythmic stacatto of a ticking clock. The morning sunlight which shoned brightly on Sulli's face made her smile.

"It's morning." She grinned as she realized it was only a few more days before school would start again.

Her smile slowly transitioned into a frown as she stared up at a blank ceiling, trying to recollect what had happened the night before. Oh that's right. Minho's party. But, what happened after that? 

Sulli pouted as she tried to think about it, but dismissed that thought with a nonchalant smile as she decided to go back to sleep again. Break is a time for rest after all and she figured she couldn't let that go to waste.

She arched her back while stretching her arms and turned around to hug the pillow next to her. Sulli furrowed her eyebrows as she felt the pillow. She didn't remember her pillow being so soft, almost as soft as the flesh of a baby. She decided to explore the new fabric by swaying her hands around on its back. How strange. 

Then, all of a sudden, Sulli felt an arm wrap around her waist. She held her breath and froze as the arm thugged her closer until she felt a gentle puff of warm air from the figure that was gradually breathing on her exposed forehead. 

This isn't a pillow.. It took Sulli a while to sink in the new information she was beginning to receive that what she was feeling was indeed not a pillow, but a human. 

She anxiously opened her eyes to find...

A completely topless Taemin asleep right in front of her.

They were practically hugging each other in bed.

Sulli's cheeks flushed into a bright pink color as she sat up swiftly and cupped her hands over before releasing a shrill scream, causing Taemin to wake up immediately from the sharp sound. He tiredly rubbed his eyes still only half awake and exhausted from the lack of sleep last night.

"Yah.. What was that about?" Taemin cringed at Sulli as he crossed arms over to cover his chest with his hands. Sulli frantically eyed the room around her. This isn't my room. Sulli stared at the shirtless and confused Taemin sitting right across her with an uneasy look on her face.

What really happened last night?

 


Author's Note: Hello everyone! Finally updated this story after.. months. I'm probably going to be updating this story more often from now on I guess haha. I really miss this couple so EXPECT MORE TAELLI MOMENTS. I know the progress of Taemin and Sulli's relationship in this story is developing slower than most stories. :P Taemin will eventually be the man he is and get there, don't worry~

Also,  you, can I request more comments from you for this chapter? That would be nice.

P.S. How awesome is SHINee and their comeback? omg. ;A;