Chapter 2

The Jeon Family

    Jungkook heard his phone ring and he reached for it lazily, half asleep. He had finished his paperwork forever ago and his boss hadn't assigned anything else so this was prime nap time. Who dares to interrupt that?

   “Hello?” He answered the phone in a deep, professional voice.

   “Yes, is this Jeon Jungkook?”

   “This is he.” Jungkook heard the person on the line shift a bit and clear their throat.

   “This is the principal of Bangtan Junior High. Your son Haneul has gotten into some trouble and we would like to ask you to come down to the school. If you can please bring your husband.” Jungkook paled and took a deep breath, fearing the conversation with Jimin more than knowing what their son might have done.

   “Alright, we'll be there shortly,” Jungkook said and hung up. He carded his hands through his hair and dialed his husband’s phone number slowly. This would not be fun.

   “Hey Jungkook-ah!” Jimin’s cheery voice said. Jungkook cringed and played with the things on his desk nervously as he relayed the news to Jimin. A short silence seemed to stretch on forever until Jimin finally responded.

   “WHAT?! Our son is in trouble?! What did the little brat do? I'll ground him for so long-”

   “Jimin, it's fine. We don't know how bad it is, maybe he just cheated on a test or something.” Jungkook tried to relax his husband. Jimin sighed in exasperation.

   “Alright. Come pick me up and we can go together.” After that Jimin ended the call. Jungkook felt his heart beating at an alarming rate thanks to Jimin’s angry reaction and he groaned. Their son was in for an intense talk from Jimin.

 

……….

 

   Jungkook and Jimin walked side by side into their son’s junior high school, marching straight to the principal’s office. Jungkook felt like a child himself, following the fuming Jimin - who was obviously trying to appear calm - with a nervous look on his face.

   “Ah, Mr. and Mr. Jeon. Please have a seat,” the principal said when they arrived, gesturing to the chairs in front of his desk. Haneul was occupying one of them and he looked absolutely terrified.

   “Thank you Mr. Nam,” Jimin said and sat, Jungkook following his lead. He sat in the middle for… safety reasons.

   “I'm sure you're wondering why I brought you in today.” Jimin nodded.

   “Your son is very well behaved and this is the first time we've had a problem with him, I just want you to know that he's an outstanding student.” The principal continued to say stuff Jimin honestly couldn't care less about right now and he kept nodding, hoping to speed it up a bit.

   “But today, there was a bit of a fight that broke out in the hallway. Haneul was involved.” Jimin turned to his son with an equal parts shocked and disappointed expression.

   “Why were you in a fight?” he asked slowly, controlling his temper in front of the principal. Jungkook stiffened at the tone. He wondered if men could have maternal instincts because only the kids made Jimin react this strongly to a situation. It was honestly kind of scary. Actually, more like terrifying.

   “I was protecting another kid,” Haneul mumbled.

   “Speak up, I can't understand you,” Jimin said. Haneul stared at his hands.

   “I was protecting my friend.” Jungkook gave Jimin a reassuring look.

   “See, he didn't pick the fight or anything. He was helping someone.” The principal nodded in agreement.

   “I've spoken to the other kid involved and to Haneul’s friend and that is what happened.” Jimin sighed and drew his coat around him more tightly, crossing his legs.

   “Alright. Is he receiving a punishment for fighting in school?”

   “He will have an in-school suspension for just one day so he learns his lesson. Basically he'll be sitting somewhere with a teacher all day and doing the work he'll miss in class.” Jimin nodded in satisfaction. Jungkook narrowed his eyes. Jimin was accepting this all too easily.

   “Thank you for calling us Mr. Nam. We'll make sure he knows this isn't okay behaviour.” The adults all stood and shook hands, then the family was ushered back into the main office. Jimin stopped to face Haneul and the boy looked about ready to pee himself.

   “Haneul. You are thirteen. You should know better than to get in a fight, especially in school! Do you know how easily you could have been hurt? What would have happened then?” he scolded and Jungkook had to remind him to keep his voice down. Haneul looked down at the floor and Jungkook put a hand on Jimin’s shoulder.

   “Jimin, I think he's got it. We can continue this at home. Don't you have to get back to class?” Jungkook asked his son. Haneul nodded.

   “Fine. I'll pick you up after school, go back to class,” Jimin said with a sigh. Their son smiled thankfully at Jungkook, who gave him a small wink, and scurried off to class.

   “God, why are kids so much work?” Jimin groaned when their son had gone. Jungkook chuckled and grabbed Jimin’s hand.

   “Come on, I'll buy you some lunch on our way home. You haven't eaten yet, have you?”

   “No. Been too busy with a design. This one client really wants a super complex theme that I just can't figure out how to do.” Jungkook smiled triumphantly as he got Jimin talking about his work, distracting him from the kids. Jimin continued to ramble as they walked back to the car hand in hand.

   “What do you want to eat?” Jungkook asked when he turned the key in the ignition.

   “Anything. Just take me home so I can try to figure out the best way to murder a child and get away with it.” Jungkook rolled his eyes.

   “If you do that Chaelin will be lonely.”

   “Oh right, Chaelin. I should kill her too, she's getting into that rebellious stage.” Jimin faked a thoughtful tone and Jungkook laughed.

   “Please don't kill our children.” Jimin smiled.

   “I won't. Maybe. But Haneul is getting grounded for at least a week.”

   “Of course he is.”