Chapter 11

The Jeon Family

   “Kay just remember, you’re trying to sell yourself. Try to sound as well rounded as possible, sports, grades, arts, experience, talk about everything….just not too much or they’ll think you’re cocky. Also-”

   “Okay woah woah woah, why does it sound like I’m going for an interview?” Chaelin let out an  exasperated sigh from the other end of the phone.

   “Cause you pretty much are” She exclaimed.

   “I told you about them, they’re gonna be onto you the whole night. One wrong move and I won’t ever be allowed to see you again!” The other boy huffed, running a hand through his hair.

   “They can’t be that bad.” He mumbled, earning a disagreeing whine from Chaelin.

   “Sangkook. They’re. That. Bad.” She assured and Sangkook huffed.

   “So when should I come over? ” He asked.

   “Anytime you want. Just don’t come late or you’ll leave a bad impression….don’t come earlier either or you’ll seem desperate. Actually just start coming when I call you.” Chaelin answered and the other boy let out another sigh.

   “Alright.”

……………..

 

   Chaelin paced around the living room, ignoring the eye roll her brother sent her way.

   “Chaelin, stop moving around so much, you're distracting.” Haneul hissed, eyes now glued on whatever game he was playing on his phone. Chaelin glared at him, but stopped pacing anyways.

   “You don't get to talk, you have no idea how nervous I am.” She hissed. Haneul shrugged.

   “Ya well no one asked you to get a boyfriend so it's not my problem.” The younger answered. Chaelin narrowed her eyes, getting ready to rebuttal when an unmistakable ringtone caught her attention. Her eyes widened as she practically leaped for her phone, bringing the device up to her ear with commendable speed. Haneul scoffed.

   “Sangkook” She chirped immediately. Her excited tone dying down almost immediately.

   “What?!” She hissed.

   “You're here already? I said not to come too early.”

The voice on the other end of the line sounded tired and Haneul almost pitied the other boy. Almost. He actually found it quite entertaining whenever the unlucky guy who dated his sister had to go through “the interview”. The poor guy shouldn't be tired just yet.

    “8 minutes early is still early.” Chaelin whispered into the phone. She looked tired too.

    “Alright, alright. You can ring the doorbell.”

    And right on cue, the melodic tune of the doorbell rang.

     “Guess our boy's here.”

      Chaelin cringed at the much too sinister tone in her father’s voice as he descended the stairs.

      “Jungkook don't scare him yet.” Her other father called from the kitchen.

      “Not making any promises.” Jungkook answered and Chaelin gulped as she heard him open the door.

 

……………..

 

   They couldn't be that bad.

   That's what Sangkook had chosen to repeat over and over in his head, even as he hesitantly rang the doorbell. He was sure Chaelin was just exaggerating. They couldn't be that bad.

   Sangkook fixed his hair one more time, his fingers tightening around the bouquet in his hand as he heard the door click open. He wasn't sure what he'd been expecting, perhaps a friendly greeting from Chaelin herself, but whatever it was, it definitely hadn't been an intimidating stare from an even more intimidating man. Sangkook gulped as the man before him- who he assumed was one of his girlfriend's fathers, obviously- looked him over once. He wasn't ridiculously buff or anything, but those firm biceps that peeked out his white shirt’s sleeves definitely looked capable of some major damage. He gulped once more.

    “Good evening Mr. Jeon.” He croaked, bowing as he failed at his attempt to not sound afraid.

    “You must be Sangkook” The other man simply answered, expression not losing its intensity. He nudged his head at the flowers in Sangkook’s hand.

    “Those for us?” He asked, and Sangkook blinked, almost having forgotten about them.

    “Oh y-yeah, um, thanks for having me.” He answered quickly. Mr. Jeon made a sound similar to a grunt as he took the flowers, ushering the younger boy inside. Sangkook released a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding. See? He thought to himself. That wasn't so bad.

 

……………..

 

     Chaelin loved her parents, she really did, but sometimes, well…let's just say she wasn't so sure if they felt the same. Afterall why would they try to rid her of her love interest if they really did love her.

     “A photographer?” Jimin piped from where he was seated beside his husband.

     “I heard that doesn't pay well. Why not something more commendable like let's say, a doctor or a lawyer or something.” He finished. Chaelin closed her eyes, unable to bear the helpless look on Sangkook’s face.

     “W-well I...um, it actually doesn't pay that bad if you find the right place to work. Plus it's something I really enjoy doing and I've been told I have the potential..”

    “Well aren't you confident.” Jimin answered with a smile, despite his harsh tone. Sangkook looked down and Chaelin shrunk down in her seat. She heard Haneul chuckle from beside her and she internally promised to strangle him after this. An awkward silence fell over the table till Jungkook spoke up.

    “So. How'd you guys start dating?”

     Chaelin groaned.

 

……………….

 

     “Thank you so much for having me.” Sangkook repeated for the second time that night. He bowed once again to the Jeon parents and Chaelin felt herself breathe in relief at the normal response that his parents gave.

    “It was nice meeting you.” Jimin chirped. He sounded happy so that was a good sign. Chaelin internally thanked the heavens that Sangkook had been considerate enough to offer to help with the dishes, her father appreciated men who didn't shy from housework- especially since his own husband wasn't so keen in the area. But while he'd warmed up to Sangkook already, her other father still seemed on guard- judging by the protective glare he kept sending the other boy’s way.

     “You should come visit again.” Jimin continued and Sangkook chuckled, scratching the back of his head as he bowed again.

     “Thank you sir.” He answered. More thank yous and goodbyes were shared, and after several polite declines to the offer of being dropped off by her parents, Chaelin watched her boyfriend leave, not missing the small smile he sent her way. She made sure he saw her thumbs up.

 

…………….

 

     “He's not bad. Some self confidence would do him good, but he's not bad at all.” Jimin proclaimed once his daughter's boyfriend was out the door. Chaelin looked relieved.

      “I don't know, you can never trust those high school boys..” Jungkook mumbled from beside him. Jimin rolled his eyes.

      “I'll give him a solid gold star. He finished everything I put on his plate despite the fact that I deliberately over salted everything.” He claimed and both Jungkook and Chaelin gaped at him.

     “You what?!” Chaelin exclaimed just as Jungkook let out an impressed “This is why I married you.” Jimin shrugged.

     “Well he passed, so Kudos to him. He handles intimidation well, unlike that last kid you dated who almost pissed himself.” Chaelin shook her head. Oh well. At least he passed.