Chapter 3

The Jeon Family

    “Ya! you cheated”

   Jungkook grinned triumphantly at the large ‘Player 1 wins’ on the TV screen. He turned to his son, who was pouting up at him, sending him a cocky smile.

   “I didn't cheat, I won fair and square.” He claimed, leaning back on the couch.

   “You said we were in a truce till it was only us left, but you took me out while the others were still there!” Haneul whined.

   “That's called double crossing, not cheating. It's strategy.” Jungkook answered. Chaelin who was preoccupied with something on her phone, snickered.

   “See? Chaelin agrees with me. There's nothing wrong with strategy.” He added, to which his daughter rolled her eyes.

   “Strategy my .” Haneul mumbled under his breath and as if he'd been summoned, Jimin popped his head out of the kitchen.

   “Language Haneul”

   Jungkook chuckled, patting the unamused boy on his head.

   “If you're still upset we can always play another round.” He suggested. Haneul scoffed.

   “I'm not playing again, you'll only cheat.” Jungkook chuckled.

   “That's the same as admitting defeat.” He teased and Haneul glared. He really should have seen it coming when the young boys lips stretched into a smirk.

   “Dad!! Daddy still hasn't done the laundry!” Haneul exclaimed and Jungkook’s eyes widened with panic. He tried to shush his son, but it was too late, Jimin was already marching out of the kitchen.

   “Ya! You said you already did it!” The shorter man yelled. Jungkook chuckled nervously.

   “Did I? Whoops.” He said defenselessly, sending a disbelieving look his son's way. Haneul smirked back, mouthing a quiet “strategy”

   “What are you sitting there for then? Go do it!” Jimin exclaimed and Jungkook groaned, well aware that he had no choice. He sent a final pout Haneul's way before leaving the room.

 

…………….

 

   Chaelin watched as her father walked away, her other dad muttering  what sounded to her like “lazy bum” before returning to the kitchen. She turned to her brother who looked proud of himself as he restarted the game.

  “Wanna play me?” Haneul asked, looking at her hopefully. She shook her head, knowing that her brother had expected the answer. Video games just sounded like a lame way to spend time. But that wasn't the only reason she'd refused, there was something else she'd wanted to do, and now that her father was alone, now was her chance.

   

   Chaelin walked in on her father aggressively shoving clothes into the dryer as he continued to mumble complaints about his ‘bratty children’ and ‘terrifying husband.’

   “Hey.”

   The older man jumped slightly at the sudden interruption, breathing out a relieved sigh when he saw who it was.

   “Oh god, I thought you were your dad for a second.” He said. Chaelin chuckled.

   “Ya, he'd have killed you if he'd heard you call him terrifying.” She responded. Jungkook chuckled back.

   “Oh, you heard that.” Chaelin nodded, helping him load the rest of the clothes in. Jungkook rose a brow at this.

   “What's the matter?” He asked, watching as the other girl loaded the last of the clothes into the machine.

   “What do you mean?” She asked, feigning indifference. Jungkook wasn't buying it.

   “You're willingly helping me do laundry, something's definitely up. Did someone upset you? Do I need to strangle them? Is it Haneul? Cause I'd totally strangle Haneul right now.”

   Chaelin rolled her eyes at the older man's words, pushing her hair back.

   “It's nothing, just felt like helping.” She mumbled. Jungkook rose a brow, sinking down unto the ground and sitting cross legged. He patted the empty spot beside him.

   “You don't really expect me believe that. Come on, spill it.” He urged. Chaelin sighed, sitting beside him in the same manner. Jungkook watched her expectantly, but when she  didn't speak he decided it was up to him to start the conversation.

   “Is it school?” He started by asking. Chaelin hesitated at first, but nodded. Jungkook frowned.

   “Friend drama?” He continued. Chaelin shook her head.

   “No?...Grades?” Another head shake.

   “...bullying?” Chaelin huffed, shaking her head. A long silence seemed to draw out between the two, before Jungkook leaned in to whisper

   “Is it a boy?”

   Chaelin made a sound that resembled a squeak, face flushing a bright red. Jungkook  moved back, wiggling his eyebrows as he let out a teasing “oooooh.”

   “What makes you think it's a boy?” She squeaked out and Jungkook rose a brow.

   “So a girl then?” Chaelin flushed even more.

   “What? No!” She exclaimed and Jungkook smirked.

   “So it is a boy.” He teased, and poor Chaelin looked like she wanted to die.

   “Oh my god please stop.” She begged, attempting to stand up. Jungkook however, had a different idea, holding unto the girl's wrist.

   “Oh come on, tell me about him. That's why you came here right?” He said, pulling the girl back down. Chaelin groaned, covering her face. Why did she think this was a good idea again?

   “Come on, tell papa what's up.” Jungkook urged her, poking her sides. Chaelin groaned but knew she had no choice.

   “Fine. But promise you won't laugh.” She  mumbled. Jungkook grinned.

   “Not making any promises.” He answered. Chaelin glared at him, but continued anyways.

   “He's in my bio class and we've been talking a lot recently.” She began and Jungkook listened, propping his chin on his hands.

   “I think he likes me too? I mean there are signs but at the same time he's not doing anything so…” She trailed off. Jungkook crossed his hands over his chest a small smile on his lips.

   “He could just be shy you know. Admitting you like someone to their face his hard. I mean I'd know, it took me a full notebook and ten mirror rehearsals to finally ask your father out.” He answered thoughtfully and Chaelin chuckled.

   “Ya, and dad says you were still a mess when you finally did.” She added, making the other man pout.

   “See? It's hard, so give the kid a chance, he'll have to man up eventually.” He advised and Chaelin nodded slowly.

   “I guess..” She mumbled. A grin split Jungkook’s face.

   “So tell me about this kid. He has to be  amazing to be able to date my baby girl.” He teased. Chaelin rolled her eyes, face flushing once more.

   “Is he fit? He has to be fit, at least 5’8, smart for sure. Let's not forget handsome, this kid better be smoking hot.”

   “Oh god please stop!” Chaelin exclaimed, hitting the older man on his shoulder.

   “Like you were all that when you asked dad out.” She mumbled. Jungkook chuckled.

   “Ya, but we were in college.” He began

   “which meant I was old enough to show my worth in...other ways” He finished, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

   “Ewwwww!!!” Chaelin exclaimed, pushing the other man away. Jungkook laughed as he  watched her run out of the room. Chaelin shook her head once she was far away, wondering what she'd been thinking when she decided to talk to him about the matter.