Chapter 6

The Jeon Family

    Jimin rushed to finish cooking dinner and set the table in preparation for their guests. His and Jungkook’s friends were all coming over for a nice meal and Jimin needed everything to be perfect.

   “Jungkook! Can you come down here please?” he called and heard his husband come down the stairs.

   “What’s up?” Jungkook asked boredly. Jimin shot him an exasperated look and shoved some plates at him.

   “Go set the table. Hoseok and Yoongi are going to be here in 10 minutes and I still haven't finished dinner.” Jungkook blinked in surprise and looked at the clock. His eyes widened.

   “Oh ! I didn't know it was so late!” He set the table so fast Jimin feared he might break a plate and hurried to help Jimin in the kitchen, but he was shooed away.

   “Don't touch the food, just make sure the kids are ready and answer the door when Hoseok and Yoongi get here,” he ordered. Jungkook nodded and disappeared up the stairs to check on their children and came back down with both of them in tow. Chaelin pulled her phone out to text someone (when was she not on that damn phone of hers?) and Haneul pouted, crossing his arms defiantly.

   “Why does Minjoon have to come?” he whined and Jimin sighed.

   “I thought you two got along,” he said impatiently. Haneul scoffed loudly.

   “He was just pretending to like me in front of you. And I hate him.”

   “Haneul, Minjoon is coming and you're going to have to be around him all night. Try to not hate him.” Haneul scowled and plopped himself onto the couch moodily, turning the tv on. Chaelin followed, still absorbed in her phone.

   “Done! And we still have a few minutes until people start arriving,” Jimin said triumphantly as he turned the stove off and looked at the food he had prepared. Everything seemed to be in order…

   *Ding dong*

   “Hoseok and Yoongi!” Jungkook opened the door and welcomed the family inside. The adults all smiled and hugged and Minjoon was sent to the living room to say hello to the kids. As soon as he walked in Haneul frowned and grabbed the tv remote protectively out of pure instinct. Having a sibling does that to you.

   “Hello there,” Minjoon said casually, a sly smile on his face.

   “Hey,” Haneul sneered. Chaelin looked up from her phone and waved halfheartedly.

   “Hi. Who are you?” Minjoon didn't seem to mind the rudeness of her question and sat beside Haneul, making himself obnoxiously comfortable.

   “I'm Minjoon. Hoseok and Yoongi’s kid.” Chaelin nodded and promptly ignored them again. Haneul tried not to whine as he was basically left alone with this monster.

   “Have you met uncle Taehyung and uncle Seokjin?” Haneul asked to keep things as natural as possible. He would try to get along with this demon, just for tonight. Minjoon raised his eyebrows and pursed his lips, uninterested.

   “Nope.”

   “Cool.”

   “Yep.” A long silence dragged on until the doorbell rang again and Taehyung could be heard excitedly entering with Seokjin and their four year old daughter. Haneul breathed a sigh of relief and thanked the heavens above when the family walked into the living room.

   “Hayoung, do you remember Chaelin?” Taehyung said as he set his daughter down and pointed to Chaelin. Hayoung played with her skirt and nodded silently.

   “And do you remember Haneul?” She nodded again.

   “Look! This is Minjoon! Say hello to Minjoon.” Hayoung waved at the boy and it surprised Haneul to see a small smile on Minjoon’s face as he waved back.

   “Do you guys mind if we join you?” Taehyung asked and sat in a chair with Hayoung in his lap.

   “Please do,” Haneul said, trying to keep the desperation out of his voice. Soon after Taehyung sat down the last person arrived, Namjoon walking in with a bright smile.

   “Alright, everyone's here! Time for dinner!” Jimin called and the kids (plus Taehyung) came to the table where the adults already sat, ready to eat.

   The dinner passed with minimal tension, the young boys staring at each other across the table for the majority of the meal, the adults talking and laughing about past memories, and Chaelin helping Hayoung eat.

   “Remember the time Jimin got really drunk-” Hoseok was cut off by a shriek from the man in question and the table erupted into laughter.

   “Or the time you and Jungkook-” Jimin shrieked again and Hoseok almost fell out of his chair laughing.

   “Let me finish speaking!”

   “NOOO!” The men continued reminiscing and meanwhile the boys were still having a staring contest. Haneul’s mind mostly wandered while he did so, thinking about how much of a brat Minjoon was and how much he hated him and how good his hair looked with the blonde in it and- wait. How good his hair looked??

   Minjoon smirked like he knew what Haneul was thinking. That brat.

   “Alright, is everyone done?” Jimin said loudly, probably trying to change the subject from embarrassing stories about himself again, and the group nodded.

   “Let's move to the living room, shall we?”

 

………..

 

   Jungkook sat next to his husband, one hand on Jimin’s thigh and the other holding a beer. Jimin had his own drink and sipped it slowly, deep in conversation with Seokjin. Jungkook looked around and saw Chaelin playing with Hayoung, the other men making some sort of toast and laughing, and then he noticed Haneul staring intently at Minjoon. Minjoon stared back but he looked confident, amused, whereas his son just looked confused-slash-angry. Jungkook quirked his head in interest but his observing was interrupted by his phone ringing.

   “It's work, I've gotta take this. Be right back,” he said to Jimin and ducked out of the room to somewhere more quiet.

   “Hello?”

   “Yes, Mr. Jeon?” Jungkook’s boss spoke.

   “Yes sir, what can I do for you?”

   “Actually it's more what I can do for you.”

 

……..

 

   Jungkook came back into the living room and when he slid onto the couch beside Jimin he tapped his knee lightly, getting his attention.

   “Good news: I got promoted.” Jimin’s eyes widened and he threw his arms around Jungkook, kissing him excitedly and getting a suggestive “oooh” from the group.

   “Congratulations!” he said happily. Jungkook tried to smile but he couldn't quite make it look right. Jimin noticed and frowned, pulling back to look at Jungkook fully.

   “What's wrong?”

   “Hey, congratulations on what? Don't keep secrets!” Taehyung said. Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck shyly.

   “I got promoted.” Cheers filled the room and Jungkook got many congratulatory slaps on the back but his smile still wasn't quite real. He took a breath and decided to get what was weighing him down out of the way.

   “But for the new position I'd have to move. To Gwangju.” Everyone stopped. The shocked silence spread coldness into their bones and a heavy atmosphere overtook everyone but Hayoung, who talked to herself happily in the corner while she played with her doll.

   “Move? To Gwangju?” Jimin repeated quietly. Jungkook nodded.

   “Did you take the position?”

   “I asked for a few days to think it over and they gave me two weeks.” Jimin pursed his lips and nodded.

   “Okay. Then we'll decide before then.” The finality of the statement seemed to shake some life into everyone and they began to talk about other things again. Jungkook started talking to Taehyung but he kept glancing at his husband. Jimin worried his lip between his teeth and played with the beer bottle in his hand. He took a swig and stared at the floor. This wasn't a good sign.

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plot begins hehehe