Chapter 14

The Jeon Family

  The end of Jungkook’s time to decide whether he would take the promotion or not was quickly coming to an end and still no decision had been reached. It was stressing everyone out and tensions were high in the household.

   “Can you please set the table?” Jimin asked Chaelin.

   “What, the table that won't be ours soon because we're moving?” she grumbled. Jimin sighed loudly and gave her an exasperated look.

   “Chaelin, we haven't decided if we're moving or not. Now go set the table and don't bring it up again.” The teenager grimaced as she did so and when she was done she went up to her room, closing the door rather loudly. Jungkook came downstairs right when the door slammed and gave Jimin a curious look.

   “What was that about?”

   “She's just upset that we might be moving.” Jungkook kissed Jimin’s forehead soothingly.

   “She’ll get over it.” Jimin gave him a suspicious look and Jungkook took a step back.

   “What? Why are you giving me that look?” he asked.

   “Oh nothing. It just sounded like you’re pretty confident that we’ll be moving,” Jimin said with a chillingly calm voice. Jungkook gulped unconsciously.

   “No, I didn’t mean that at all, baby! I just meant that Chaelin doesn’t have to be upset because we haven’t decided anything yet.” His nervous attempt to save himself did nothing but make Jimin more unsettled.

   “Whatever you say, sweetheart.” Jimin went back to cooking, just finishing up, and Jungkook took that as his cue to leave. He went upstairs to get the kids for dinner and when he returned Jimin seemed more at ease. Chaelin huffed unhappily when she sat down, still thinking about the possible move, and Haneul shot her a glare and rolled his eyes.

   Dinner started with a slightly tense silence, everyone staring at their plates and sneaking glances at each other. Finally Jimin spoke up, almost startling his family from the midst of their thoughts.

   “So how was everyone’s day?” The simple question was met with more silence, until Haneul mumbled,

   “Good. I finished my book.” Chaelin snickered.

   “That makes it a good day? You’re such a loser.” Haneul moved to smack her on the arm but Jungkook intervened, putting an arm between the siblings.

   “Whoa, whoa, chill out kids. I can see we’re all a bit grumpy. Let’s just finish and help clean up, then you two can go be emo by yourselves.” The two glared at each other but went back to eating, eager to escape the awkward atmosphere surrounding them.

   When everyone had finished dinner and gone to their respective rooms the two parents sat on their bed tiredly, Jungkook running a hand through his hair and Jimin letting out a sigh.

   “This is getting ridiculous. We need to decide now,” Jimin said. His husband nodded and faced him.

   “Okay. Let’s make a serious pros and cons list.” Jimin thought for a moment.

   “Pros: promotion, more money, fresh start, change of scenery.”

   “Cons: starting over can be tough, the kids have to make new friends, new school, new job for you Jimin.” They stared at each other.

   “It’s an equal amount of pros and cons, huh. Argh, what do we do??” Jimin groaned, falling onto his back.

   “Should we ask the kids again?” Jungkook asked hesitantly. Jimin sat back up and shook his head.

   “They’d just say the same stuff they did last time we asked. We need to figure it out, just the two of us.” Jungkook carded a hand through his hair again, this time in agitation.

   “Alright. Well, I’m gonna get straight to the point. I think we should move. It’ll be good for the kids to have an experience like this, being put out of their comfort zones. And we could have a nicer house, the kids can go to a better school, plus I bet Gwangju is a great place. It’ll be less stuffy that Seoul, less crowded and polluted.”

   “But Yoongi and Hoseok literally just moved here from Gwangju, wouldn’t it be sad to move there after they came all the way here? And who says that this will be a good experience for the kids, maybe they’ll hate it, and by extension hate us. What if they have trouble making friends? What if the kids at school are mean to them because they’re the new kids? So many things could go wrong. And what job can I possibly get? I can’t just abandon all my clients!” Jimin was getting heated in his argument, which only made Jungkook come back with even more anger than his husband.

   “You can work wherever you can until you find something steady that you like. And the kids will be fine. Why are you so worried about them making friends when I could be making so much more money? I could move up in the company and give you all such a good life, why don’t you want that?” Jungkook was practically yelling by the time he finished speaking. His fists were clenched and when he realised he relaxed them, but he noticed that Jimin’s were clenched as well. His eyes just barely glistened with the threat of tears and he was giving Jungkook such an angry look that the taller actually felt a little guilty.

   “I do want that. But I think that staying here, where we’ve already built something, is better for us all in the long run.” Jimin was speaking quietly now, a sign that he was going to explode if Jungkook didn’t step off.

   “Okay, fine. I’m not going to argue anymore. Either we work this out like civilized people or we stay quiet. I’m done.” Jungkook threw his hands up in resignation and left the bedroom, leaving Jimin there with his small fists and big cloud of despair. Jungkook grabbed his car keys and left, hoping to clear his head. Jimin only listened as the front door slammed shut, wincing and letting his tears fall when the house fell silent. His shoulders rose and fell with silent sobs, body tense as he tried to stay quiet. Jimin had no idea how much time passed before he went to sleep, but Jungkook still hadn’t come back. He only hoped that he would be back before morning.