Chapter 21

The Jeon Family

    Jimin couldn’t sleep, not when he knew Jungkook was downstairs, it made the emptiness of the space beside him a lot more pronounced than he was willing to endure. With a quiet sigh, he stared over at the bedside clock, lips pursing as he read the time to be 1:40 am. He knew for a fact that he wasn’t about to get any sleep unless he got his husband out of his mind. Pushing himself slowly off the bed he decided that perhaps checking up on the other man wasn’t a bad idea, after all whenever he couldn’t get a song out of his head, if he listened to that song it usually took the song off his mind after. It wasn’t exactly sound logic, and part of him knew for a fact that he just wanted to see Jungkook, but it would have to do.

    With that thought in mind, Jimin made his way downstairs, taking careful steps so as not to wake up the other who he was sure would be asleep by now. As he rounded the corner around the couch, he found himself holding his breath, only letting it go once his eyes finally landed on the figure of his sleeping husband. He stared at him for awhile, immediately regretting the decision of coming here. If anything seeing his husband just made him want to drag the other male upstairs to their room, on their bed. Jimin gulped as he felt his eyes water again, this was all stupid, the promotion, the fight...maybe moving wouldn’t have been so bad...maybe he should just have let Jungkook win. Closing his eyes to calm his mind down, he took a deep breath. Upon opening his eyes, his gaze landed on the lopsided blanket covering Jungkook, the fabric barely managing to stay past his waist. Without hesitation Jimin leaned in, pulling up the blanket till it covered the other male fully. It was only when he was moving back that he noticed eyes staring back at him.

    “Holy shi-!” Jimin exclaimed, heart hammering in his chest as he jumped back in alarm. Jungkook was sitting up in an instant, hands forward in a gesture of assurance as an apology spilled past his lips.

    “Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you,” he confessed, scratching the back of his neck nervously. Jimin blinked as he realized that Jungkook was awake, cheeks flushing slightly as he realized he’d been staring at him blatantly and has even adjusted his blanket for him. He looked away with a quiet scoff.

    “How long have you been awake?” he asked, dreading the answer that he knew would follow. Jungkook merely shrugged, a nervous look on his face.

    “Not long, only after you shifted my blanket,” he answered, but having known the other male since college, he could tell he was lying. With a small shake of his head, Jimin made his way to the couch, plopping down beside Jungkook.

    “You couldn’t sleep either could you?” he asked, keeping his gaze forward and away from the face of his husband. Jungkook remained silent at first, but with a small chuckle that showed there was no point in trying to keep up the lie, he spoke.

    “How could I when you weren’t by me?” Jimin felt himself freeze slightly at the other’s words. How could he say that? That was so unfair, it was making it harder for him to not give in. Head turning down to center his gaze on his lap, Jimin swallowed. He knew Jungkook was looking at him, and as much as he wanted to look back, his body wouldn’t let him.

   “Makes me wonder how you’ve been sleeping at Namjoon’s.” Jimin internally cringed at his own words, knowing they weren’t fair to Jungkook either.

   “I haven’t. Not well at least. And trust me it becomes a lot harder when I know you’re right there, just a few steps away. Since you’re here I’m going to assume you understand what I mean.” Jungkook’s words were quiet but enough to hit home. At this Jimin had to turn around, vision starting to cloud with tears.

     “Jungkook stop. This isn’t fair,” he whispered back, and this time Jungkook spoke louder.

   “I want to stop, I want all this to stop. Jimin I ed up, I know, but you don’t deserve this, we don’t deserve this” Jimin shook his head but Jungkook kept talking.

    “Look I know you said baby steps, and I’ve tried to convince myself that I’m fine with that, that we can take as long as we need to recover. But I can’t do it baby...I can’t help but feel that we don’t have time, that every passing second is enough time for you to decide that you’re better off without me. I know what you’ll say, it’s not true, but I just- it scares me. I want to go back to holding you whenever I want and speaking my mind without having to worry about scaring you away. Jimin I-”

    “Jungkook stop please..”Jungkook’s voice died down at the broken sound of his husband’s plea, eyes widening once again as he noticed Jimin crying. But this time he didn’t hold himself back like he’d done at the door, and Jimin was thankful for that. Even at the door part of him had been hoping Jungkook would drop his bags and embrace him like he was doing right now, even as they’d talking earlier he’d hoped Jungkook would crack and just kiss him. All those times he’d wanted to be the one to crack too, but he’d been so scared, so scared that Jungkook would turn around and walk through those doors again. It was a stupid thought and they both knew that, but that was what this situation had reduced them to. Idiots. Two idiots in love. If he wasn’t such a crying mess at the moment Jimin might have even laughed.

    “Jimin I’m so sorry, I shouldn’t have-” Jimin didn’t let Jungkook finish.

    “Oh just shut up and kiss me..”