Chapter 8

The Jeon Family

   Chaelin and Haneul sat side by side on the couch after their parents left on their date, staring at the tv boredly. It had only been around half an hour since their dads left but honestly it was too quiet without Jimin yelling at someone. The silence was becoming uncomfortable.

   “Why are we watching The Walking Dead again?” Chaelin asked to break that silence.

   “Because it's great.”

   “Can we please watch something else? This show is gross.” Haneul wrinkled his nose and tucked the remote under his leg, hiding it.

   “You're gross,” he shot back. Chaelin groaned and rolled her eyes.

   “I'm bored. Let's go do something fun.” Haneul rolled his eyes now and paused the show to look at her.

   “Like what? You think parties are fun, which they aren't,” Chaelin made a face at that.

   “So what do you suggest we do that we'd both like?” Chaelin tapped her foot as she thought, crossing her arms and creasing her brow. Haneul snorted and pressed play on the show.

   “Yeah, didn't think so.”

   It was almost twenty minutes later that Chaelin jumped up and pulled her phone out excitedly.

   “Let's order pizza!” Haneul stared up at her lamely.

   “That's the million dollar idea it took you twenty minutes to come up with?” Chaelin stuck her tongue out and dialed their favourite pizza place.

   “The regular?” she asked and Haneul nodded. They placed the order and half an hour later the pizza arrived. Chaelin paid and skipped over with the food, setting it on the coffee table. Haneul leaned forward to grab a slice but his sister hit his hand roughly.

   “Thank me for buying it first,” she demanded.

   “Thank you,” Haneul muttered and took some food happily.

   “Hey, want to play some video games?” he offered when they had eaten. Chaelin shrugged and made herself comfortable on the floor near the tv.

   “Sure. What game?” Haneul smiled, proud that he got his sister to play, and joined her on the floor.

   “Overwatch?”

   “Sure.” They set everything up and Haneul taught Chaelin how to play, both of them enjoying it more than they expected. After a while of playing Haneul convinced his sister to play a different game, Call of Duty. With this game he could fight her one-on-one and beat her into next week.

   “Wait where'd you go??” Chaelin shouted as she navigated the map sloppily, walking right into Haneul and getting shot multiple times. She groaned and set the controller down angrily, Haneul smirking beside her.

   “You wanna stop playing?” he asked teasingly. Chaelin grimaced and picked the controller up again.

   “No.” They continued and yet again she got killed many times in a row, the match quickly ending as Haneul killed her ten times well within the time limit.

   “Uuugghh I hate this game!” she shouted, falling onto her back.

   “I hate you for making me play.”

   “You wanted to play!”

   “Well you suggested it and I was bored so I said yes!”

   The argument went on for a while longer, steadily growing more heated, until Haneul stood and made his way to his room, yelling over his shoulder.

   “I just wanted to have a nice time but you can't do that, can you? .” He grumbled the last word but his sister heard and scrambled off the floor to follow him up the stairs.

   “What did you call me? I'm older than you, show some respect!” Haneul ignored her and marched into his room. Chaelin followed him in there too.

   “Leave me alone! Go text your friends or something.” Chaelin looked hurt by the comment and Haneul scoffed at her reaction. She backed out of the room, glaring at her brother angrily.

   “Fine.” As she left she stopped at the bookshelf her brother had fully stocked with novels and pulled them out, tossing them onto the floor carelessly. Haneul cried out in distress as she swept the remaining books onto the floor dramatically, kicking some into the hall as she left. Now Haneul was seething.

   “You attack my books, I attack your wardrobe,” he growled under his breath. Practically sprinting to Chaelin’s room to get there before her and diving into her closet, Haneul began wreaking havoc. He ripped shirts from hangers, throwing them onto the floor. He tossed shoes clear across the room and Chaelin had to dodge a couple of them.

   “What are you doing?!” she screeched. Haneul scooped up a pile of clothes and ran, scattering the items through the hall. He tossed a pair of jeans and a bra into the washroom, threw a sweater into their parents’ room, and dropped the rest in a pile on the hall floor. Haneul rushed to close himself in his bedroom, leaning against the door just as Chaelin threw her weight against it from the other side.

   “You brat! Clean up the mess you made!”

   “Not unless you clean up my books!”

   Chaelin kicked the door angrily and huffed, walking away. Haneul stayed poised to defend for a couple minutes, until he was sure Chaelin wouldn't come back. He heard her door slam and sighed, running a hand through his hair. A habit he had picked up from his dad.

   Haneul looked down at his feet, books strewn across the floor and bent out of shape. He sighed again and picked them up carefully, setting them back into place. The ones out in the hall would have to wait until morning. He didn't want to leave his room and possibly see his menace of a sister cleaning up her .

   Meanwhile, Chaelin leaned against her door and looked at her clothes thrown to all corners of the room. About half her stuff was missing, either out in the hall or some room Haneul had tossed them into. She would deal with that later. Bending to start cleaning up, Chaelin looked at the clock and figured her dads would be back soon. Might as well go to sleep now and listen to a lecture in the morning. Chaelin changed and got in bed, brooding over her fight with Haneul until she fell asleep.

   Haneul also got changed and laid in bed for a while, thinking about the events of that night. He was not looking forward to the lecture he was sure to get in the morning. Or seeing Chaelin. Haneul fell into an uneasy sleep just as the front door opened quietly and his parents came inside, whispering to each other in hushed voices. He missed the way Jimin paused at the top of the stairs as he took in the mess they made, already asleep.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The events of the night that jungkook got ed by his own children