Chapter 23

The Jeon Family

    To say Haneul was relieved when he heard the news would have been an understatement, he was ecstatic. Yoongi had been the one to break the news to the kids before their parents had even gotten a chance to call them, and while Haneul had been excited when the older man had said it, hearing it from his parents themselves had been so much better. He’d been in such a good mood he hadn’t stopped smiling since then. The news had come that afternoon, and about two hours later Haneul was done packing about half his things. The whole time his smile never failed to leave his lips, not even as Minjoon walked in and rolled his eyes with an exaggerated groan.

    “Ugh you still have that stupid grin on your face,” the other male mumbled with an expression of feigned disgust. Haneul turned to face him with an even wider grin as he watched him plop onto the bed.

   “What’s so stupid about it? Things are finally looking up for me~” he piped, and this time Minjoon rose a brow, popping a piece of candy into his mouth. It was only now that Haneul noticed the small bag of sour candy in the other males hand, and he stretched out a hand.

    “Can I have one?” he asked and Minjoon shook his head slowly, popping yet another piece into his mouth.

     “Sorry hun, only residents of this room get the candy, and since you’re leaving...well, you don’t get the candy.” For the first time in two hours Haneul’s grin dropped as he rolled his eyes, but almost immediately the grin returned, slowly this time.

     “You know what I think~?” he asked, voice laced with a hint of mischief. Minjoon turned to stare at him, eyes narrowing suspiciously as he caught on to his teasing undertone.

    “I think you’re just salty that I’ll be leaving. You’re gonna miss me aren’t cha?” At this Minjoon just barely managed not to choke on his candy, and while Haneul was a bit worried, it was much too funny for him not to laugh.

     “Dude you okay?” he asked in between laughs, and Minjoon glared at him, throwing the bag of candy at him.

    “You’re just full of bull aren’t you?” he all but hissed, and Haneul shrugged, catching the bag and waving it at the other males face.

     “But it scores me the candy doesn’t it? Plus there’s nothing wrong with missing me, I’ll miss you too ya know~” Minjoon scowled at the other male.

    “You keep telling yourself that. Anyways hurry up and finish packing. Dad wants me to clean the room and you've gotta help. Consider it your rent fee." He answered, yanking back the bag of candy and heading to his desk. Haneul rolled his eyes, putting the last few items into his bag before closing it. He hadn't brought much since everything had been rather sudden when they moved here, so packing as expected did not take too long.

   “Come help me clean the desk then you can make the bed while I vacuum,” Minjoon instructed, already moving some objects off his desk and onto the shelf where it belonged.

   “Aye aye captain," Haneul answered, a hint of sarcasm in his tone. Minjoon paid him no attention, merely moved aside to allow the other male soon room to help out.

  “Man you have so much junk here,” Haneul mumbled as he picked up a keychain, squinting at the stuffed anpanman attached to it. With a snicker he added.

    “What are you 5?” he teased, satisfied by the glare he got in return.

   “I asked you to clean up, not talk.” Minjoon scowled, snatching away the keychain. The suddenness of his action caused his arm to push a stack of books off the desk and as they tumbled onto the ground, both boys reached for it instinctively. Minjoon reached it first, a hand already atop the book, but Haneul followed, his hand on top of Minjoon’s. A moment of silence settled over the room as they both looked up, hands still in contact, at each other. Neither of them moved, an awkward stillness now in the room.

 “Yah! Haneul did you use my toothbru-” Chaelin had chosen that time to walk in, helping herself past the open doors but freezing at what she saw. Both boys' heads snapped to the side to stare at her, and yet another awkward silence filled the room, both males' hands still in contact. It was the older girl who finally broke the silence with a raise of a brow.

   “What’s this? I'm getting kdrama vibes,” she said with a snort, and immediately both boys jumped apart.

   “Oi, don't you know how to knock?” Haneul hissed at her, getting up. Chaelin snorted.

  “The door was wide open. I'm sorry was I interrupting something? Were you about to ki-” Minjoon didn't let her finish before he was slamming the door on her.

        

  The rest of the afternoon had been rather awkward and neither boys had said much to each other. The time was finally here, and as Haneul stared at the car Chaelin was now getting into, he sighed.

  “Well, guess this is it. No more annoying leeches in my room.” Minjoon spoke up from beside him and Haneul would have been lying if he'd said he wasn't relieved the other spoke properly to him.

    “This really is it. No more annoying landladies to deal with,” he answered and Minjoon rolled his eyes.

  “Just hurry up and go,” he answered, and Haneul tilted his head with a raise of his brow.

    “What? No goodbye?” he asked and Minjoon scoffed before holding out a hand for a handshake. With a shake of his head Haneul took the hand, but rather than shaking it he pulled the other male into a hug. It was a quick one but clearly Minjoon didn't expect it, at least if the slight redness of his cheeks was any indication. It was kinda cute. At the thought Haneul quickly pulled away, the awkwardness from before returning.

    “See ya,” he mumbled and Minjoon nooded with a quiet “yeah”

 

     The moment he got into the backseat and closed the door, Chaelin was on his neck.

        “Following in our dads' footsteps I see?”

        “Shut up Chaelin.” Chaelin grinned

      “On the plus side that means we can both talk about boys together,” she added, a teasing undertone to her words. Haneul glared at her.

      “You're being ridiculous, just stop talking,” he hissed as Yoongi started the car, too lost in thought to pay attention to the conversation happening at the back.

       “Shh just embrace it. You should be happy anyways, you've finally found the tsundere of your dreams-” Haneul snapped on his headphones before she could finish, not at all in the mood to deal with her.