Chapter 5

The Jeon Family

   “What? No!”

    Jimin turned to glare at his son, not at all affected by his terrified look.

   “Yes and that's final.” He seethed and Haneul opened his mouth to complain.

   “Oh  for the love of- it's just a birthday party. Just ask some of your friends over is that too hard? Look I even made cards.” Haneul stared at the bright blue collection of cards his father was pointing at him and grimaced.

   “I'm a thirteen year old boy, I can't do birthday parties.” He whined and the older man rolled his eyes. A shrill noise cut their argument short and Jimin huffed, pushing the cards into his son's arms as the other managed to slip off his seat belt.

   “Invite at least five people. Or do you want me to come in and do it myself?” He threatened. Haneul paled.

   “Fine, I'll do it. But I'm not using the cards.” He mumbled, pushing open the car door.

   “Fair enough. Now hurry, you'll be late.” Jimin answered, earning an exasperated sigh from  the boy. He watched as his son stalked away towards the school’s entrance, mumbling something under his breath.

 

……………

 

   “What? That’s fantastic!”

    Jungkook looked up from where he’d been trying to solve the little maze at the back of the cereal box, hearing the loud thud of the garage door shutting.

   “When are you getting here?” He could hear his husband’s voice chirp, a quiet shuffling coming from where he assumed the other man was taking off his shoes. He brought another spoonful of the sugar coated cereal to his lips, listening to the one sided conversation.

   “How’s Minjoon coping?” Jimin asked, now appearing at the doorway and sending him a sceptical look upon noticing his appearance. Jungkook couldn’t blame him, it wasn’t everyday you saw a grown man bundled inside a rilakkuma blanket as he munched away on lucky charms. There was a pause before Jimin spoke again, eyes widening comically as whoever was on the other end of the line said something supposedly surprising.

   “What?! Really? Haneul goes there!” Jimin gasped, seemingly remembering something. Jungkook arched a brow, recognizing the excited glint in his husbands eyes that signified that he had an idea.

   “I just had a great idea.”

    Jungkook scoffed. Called it.

   “Haneul is having a birthday party next week and some of his friends are going to be here. Minjoon can come over as well. That way he can get at least some acquaintances before school actually starts for him!” Jimin piped, nodding enthusiastically at whatever the other person was saying as if they could see him.

   “Then it’s set. It’s on the saturday of next week. I’ll text you the details.”

   Jungkook tuned out at this point, eyes zeroing in on his now practically empty bowl. He knew he should place it in the sink but he was too lazy to get up. He sighed, contemplating his choices before leaning back in his chair and deciding to just do it later. By then Jimin was grinning down at his phone, apparently having ended the call.

    “Hoseok?” He asked the shorter man. Jimin nodded enthusiastically.

    “Ya, he and Yoongi are moving nearby this week.” Jungkook tsked at this.

    “That . Doesn’t even tell me and instead calls you.” He mumbled. Jimin rolled his eyes

    “Annnnywways, they’re moving and they’ll be enrolling their son Minjoon in Haneul’s school. You remember Minjoon don’t you?” He asked and Jungkook nodded, remembering the petite boy his two friends had adopted almost immediately after their marriage.

    “Haven’t seen that kid in a while. He should have grown quite a bit.” He answered and Jimin nodded.

    “Ya. He’s Haneul’s age.” He clarified and Jungkook looked impressed.

    “Wow. Time sure flies..” He mumbled. Jimin hummed in agreement and a comfortable silence fell between the two. Jungkook watched his husband rummage through the cupboards for something, till a question popped into his mind.

    “Do you think Haneul would be okay with an uninvited guest whom he’s never met.” He asked. Jimin scoffed.

   “I’m not giving him a choice.”


 

…………….

 

   This. Was. Not. Okay.

   “Stop being childish, it’s just one person.”

   Haneul groaned for the third time that Saturday.

   “But you said only my friends needed to come. I didn’t even want to do this dumb thing in the first place and now you’re inviting people by yourself!” He whined, cringing at the death glare he was rewarded with by his father.

    “Jeon Haneul. You are being incredibly selfish right now, not to mention petty. For goodness sake he’s going to be coming to your school in due time. The least you can do is make him feel welcome.”

   “But I don’t even know him” He whined back and his father threw his hands up in exasperation.

   “You don’t have to know someone to be nice to them. Whether you like it or not he’s coming and you and your friends are going to be nice to him. Either that or you can say goodbye to all your video games.” Jimin hissed and the other boy groaned, knowing he’d lost the battle.

   “Fine.” He mumbled, making a mental note never to agree to another birthday party again.

 

……………..

   

  *Ding Dong*

  

  “Pizza’s here.”

   Haneul groaned at his friends claim, watching his father scurry to the door from the corner of his eyes. Judging from the excited look on his face that definitely wasn’t pizza. His guess was only proven correct when a series of excited chatter broke through the house from the front door.

  “Didn’t know your dad was so friendly with the pizza delivery guy.” The boy beside him- who he was totally destroying at this video game by the way- joked. Haneul ignored him, barely glancing the brown haired boy’s way as he hit another combo.

  “Does that mean you get free pizza?” The boy behind him joked and Haneul rolled his eyes at his friends, aware that they were just being idiots.

  “Not pizza.” He mumbled, ignoring the over exaggerated whines.

  “Family then?” The first boy spoke again, Haesong, as they liked to call him.

   “Nah. My dad invited someone else.” He answered and while there were some curious glances sent his way, all four of them kept their attention on the game.

 

   “Boys!” A happy chirp rang through the air and Haneul cringed, pausing the game once he heard his father’s voice.

   “Come meet Minjoon~”

    Haneul rubbed his temple, shutting his eyes tight as he tried not to die on the inside. He only opened them when the boy beside him leaned in to whisper.

   “You invited a girl?”

   Haneul turned to glare at his friend.

   “My dad invited him. It’s a g-” He began, turning to face the doorway where his father now stood with a…

   “-guy?” Haneul finished, eyes landing on the slim figure beside his father. In Haneul’s opinion, he still looked like a dude, but being at that age he was quite used to the scraped knees and mock rugged appearance that came with the boys his age, so of course the soft looking demeanor of the other boy was not what he’d expected. The said boy was smiling at them, the personification of innocence as dark brown hair fell into his eyes...and were those blonde highlights? How unfair, his dad would never let him get highlights.

   “Looks like a chick to me.” Haesong mumbled and Haneul elbowed him.

   “Minjoon, this is Haneul- the birthday boy- this is Haesong I believe, Jung-hee and Iseul. Guys, Minjoon.” Jimin introduced and the four boys let out an awkwardly chorused ‘hey..’

  “Hey.” Minjoon answered, much more enthusiastic than the rest of them. Jimin grinned.

  “Alright boys, I’ll leave you alone.” He said, patting Minjoon on the back.

  “Let me know when you’re ready to leave cause your dads aren’t going to be finished their appointment for a while.” Minjoon nodded, not catching the warning glare that Jimin sent his son’s way. “Be nice” It read and Haneul gulped. Welp, this ought to be fun.

 

……………

 

  This was not fun.

 

  Game Over. Player 1 wins.

 

  “Dude what the ? I swear you’re doing something!” Iseul exclaimed, pouting at the flashing screen. Minjoon let out a bored sigh, bringing yet another pizza slice to his lips- it was like his 6th one and how he wasn’t fat? Haneul had no idea.

   “Is this seriously the hardest level, or do you guys just at this?” He huffed, leaning his head back against the headrest. Haneul was fuming. Not only had Minjoon’s angelic smile deadpanned once his father was out of sight, but the other boy was proving to be a total brat. Also it kind of didn’t help that he was apparently really good at every ing video game and had thrashed all his high scores-which had taken him years to reach- in a few short hours.

   “You don’t have to ing play if you don’t want to.” Haneul hissed, earning an amused eye raise from Minjoon.

   “You sound sour. Is this about your highscores?” Minjoon tsked.

   “That’s rather petty. They weren’t even good highscores.” He mumbled, bringing a pop can- his second one- to his lips. Haneul narrowed his eyes and Haesong huffed.

   “Here we go again.” He mumbled, referring to the several arguments- well Haneul argued and Minjoon mocked- that had been going on between the two since Minjoon got here.  Jung-Hee groaned as well, not wanting to witness this yet again.

   “Kay I have to start going home now, was supposed to have left an hour ago.” He announced, grunting as he stood. At the same time Iseul’s phone chirped.

   “Aaaand my mom’s here so…” He mumbled, standing up with Haesong.

   “His mom’s also my ride so I’ll be leaving too.” Haesong added. Haneul blinked.

   “Wait you’re all leaving?” He asked, sending a panicked look Minjoon’s way. The other smirked and he turned back to glare at his friends.

   “Don’t leave me with him.” He hissed and all three of them shrugged.

   “Meh.” Jung-Hee said

   “You’ll live.” Iseul added

   “Like you don't secretly want to be left with him.” Haesong mumbled and the other two boys chuckled at this. Iseul even had the audacity to wiggle his eyebrows..the little . Minjoon, seemingly unaffected by the exchange, continued to munch on his pizza, ignoring the pleads that Haneul was giving his friends as they left him. In a matter of seconds Haneul was back, looking very displeased with life.

   “So what’s next birthday boy?” Minjoon asked, tone dripping with mock interest. Haneul glared at him.

   “Shouldn’t you be heading home too?” He shot, changing the TV screen to some dumb show.

   “Your dad’s dropping me off~” Minjoon answered in a sing song voice and just as if he’d been summoned, Jimin walked down the stairs.

   “Are you ready to leave yet Min?” Haneul tried not to look too relieved.

   “Yes I am actually.” Minjoon said immediately standing up as his words turned formal. Haneul scoffed at the fake personality.

   “Did you have fun?” Jimin asked, a satisfied grin on his face. Minjoon nodded.

   “Yes I did. Haneul and his friends are really nice” He declared.

   “Especially Haneul.” He added, sending an extra bright smile the other’s way. Haneul could totally see the sarcasm behind his eyes and underlying his tone.

   “Well that’s fantastic.” Jimin exclaimed, sending a not so discreet thumbs up his son’s way. Haneul rolled his eyes. He just wanted them to leave. He heaved a sigh of relief as their footsteps started to retreat, one that caught in his throat once his father added.

   “You’ll have to start coming over more often.”