Chapter 13

The Jeon Family

   “You want me to give you more time?”

    Jungkook sighed, scratching the back of his head at the confusion in the other man's voice.

   “You still have till the end of the week to make a decision you know.” His boss continued. Jungkook pursed his lips, letting out a nervous chuckle.

   “I know, but this is a really big decision for my family sir. Just a little more time will do.” He pleaded, internally cringing at how desperate he sounded. A huff came from the other end of the line, before his boss spoke again.

   “You know I really like you Jeon, so you can take your time making this decision,  but it'll be really unwise to pass it up. It's a big job.” He advised and Jungkook nodded, aware of just how big the job was.

   “Thank you sir.” He answered, hoping the new time he'd gained would be enough for him and Jimin to make a decision.

 

……………

 

   “Ya, you're doing it all wrong.” Jimin hissed, grabbing the bowl of something Jungkook couldn't see from Chaelin, and stirring it the ‘proper’ way. Chaelin huffed, going over to the cutting board to work on the onions the other man had been chopping. Jimin frowned as she began cutting, letting out an exasperated sigh as he dropped the bowl to glare at her.

   “You're cutting them too bi- you know what? I'll just do it. Go text your friends or play with Haneul or something.” He hissed and Jungkook chuckled from the kitchen doorway, having always found his husband's perfectionist attitude amusing.

   “What are you laughing at?” Jimin asked after Chaelin had left the kitchen with an annoyed “you try to be helpful and this is what you get.”

   “Nothing~” Jungkook chimed, making his way to his husband so he could hug him from behind. Jimin rolled his eyes, a small smile on his lips.

   “You know the rules sweetheart, you're in the kitchen, you help in the kitchen.” He joked, aware that asking Jungkook to cook was equivalent to asking Chaelin to go bare faced to school.

   “I'm helping. I'm keeping you warm.” Jungkook answered, to which Jimin scoffed.

   “Wasn't cold.” He mumbled, leaning into the taller despite his words. They settled into a comfortable silence, till Jungkook decided to say what he actually came to the kitchen for.

   “So I talked to boss.” He began, and those words alone were enough to make Jimin freeze.

   “Yeah?” He asked apprehensively.

   “He's giving us more time to make a decision.” Jungkook answered, noticing the evident relief in the droop of his husband's shoulders.

   “Oh that's good.” Jimin mumbled, continuing his chopping. Jungkook bit his bottom lip, resting his head on the shorters shoulders.

   “You know we can't take too long though, my boss isn't exactly patient.” He muttered and Jimin stopped his cutting, gripping the counter with both hands.

   “Do you really want us to move?” He asked, to which Jungkook responded

   “Do you really want me to decline a promotion?” Jimin sighed, dropping his head.

   “I'm not saying I want you to decline, but moving.” He answered.

   “Babe, not moving means declining. I either get the promotion, or we don't move and I don't.” Jungkook stated, already wishing for the conversation to end.

   “Kookie you know how I feel about sudden changes like this..” Jimin began.

   “It doesn't have to be sudden” Jungkook tried to reassure.

   “How is moving to a completely different area several kilometers away not sudden?” Jimin asked, beginning to sound upset. Jungkook squeezed his eyes shut. He knew Jimin wouldn't like it, having worked so hard to build himself a life here in Seoul, he knew it'd be hard for the other to let all that go. Yet his promotion..

   “Maybe we should ask the kids.” Jimin suddenly piped.

   “It is supposed to be a family decision after all.” He added, and Jungkook nodded, deciding that more votes was actually a good idea.

   “Alright, let's do that.”

 

………………..

 

   “What?! No way, nope, absolutely not.” Chaelin exclaimed, crossing her arms in disagreement.

   “I’m not leaving all my friends behind, not leaving Sangkook behind. Oh my god, imagine having to be in a long distant relationship! Nope, no, not happening.” She ranted and Jungkook rolled his eyes at her over dramatic display. He didn't fail to catch the relief in Jimin's eyes as he turned to face Haneul.

   “How about you? What do you think?” He asked. Haneul shrugged.

   “I don't think anyone declines a promotion. I'm cool with moving, could finally get Seoul's air out of my lungs.” He answered. Jungkook nodded, internally agreeing, while Chaelin gasped in disbelief.

   “What about your friends?” She asked and Haneul rose a brow.

   “What about them? I can still talk to them via technology, plus it's not like we'll know each other in a couple years.” Was his response. Chaelin scoffed.

   “I know what this is about.” She began.

   “It's about that Minjoon kid isn't it? Is that why you want to leave? Cause you don't like him? Or what, you do like him and don't want to have to face him?” She sneered and Haneul sat up, eyes narrowing.

  “I don’t like him, and what the hell does that have to do with anything anyways? I'm just being realistic, change is part of life whether you like it or not.” He hissed back and Jungkook made two mental notes in his head; one, to thank Namjoon for all the philosophical bull he was probably feeding his son, and two, to talk to both Jimin and Haneul about this Minjoon guy-his father senses were tingling regarding the relationship between the boy and his son.

   “Guys calm down, we haven't made a decision yet anyways, but thanks for your inputs.” Jimin interrupted their rambling.

   “Hopefully this helps us get somewhere.”

 

…………..

 

   “Well that got us nowhere.” Jimin grumbled once the kids had disappeared to their respective rooms in annoyance. Jungkook nodded, aware that they were back to square one.

   “So Haneul wants to move and Chaelin doesn't.” He mumbled.

   “Seems like it.” Jimin answered, sitting next to Jungkook on the couch so he could lean on the taller's shoulder. Jungkook wrapped an arm around his waist.

   “It's okay, we still have time.” He assured, and Jimin sighed.

   “Let's hope that's enough.”