Chapter 19

The Jeon Family

 

 

      Haneul had hoped things would get better quickly, after all his parents loved each other right? Unfortunately for him, the situation only seemed to be dragging on. Both he and Chaelin had been getting frequent calls from Jimin to check up on them, and each time the older man sounded more broken than the last.

    “They're not going to get a divorce right?” Haneul wasn't even sure why he'd asked, perhaps he needed reassurance, some sort of pat on the back, and a firm “what are you talking about? That's ridiculous”. But perhaps Chaelin had been the wrong person to ask.

    “At the rate things are going it isn't unlikely”

     To Haneul, those words were like a slap to the face. He knew Chaelin didn't mean it, clearly she didn't want that to happen either, she was just acting on her instinctive teenage girl behavior. Still Haneul couldn't help getting upset.

    “Take that back” He hissed, eyes narrowing. Chaelin shrugged, scoffing as if the very idea that her words had hurt him was absolutely ridiculous.

    “You asked and I gave you an honest answer” She spoke back, leaning back against the couch. They were in the living room, both Yoongi and Hoseok were away at the moment and Minjoon was currently in his room studying for an exam. Haneul parted his lips in disbelief, blood starting to boil.

    “You really think they're going to divorce? You don't even seem like you care! Who am I kidding? You probably want them to so you wouldn't have to move you selfish !” Chaelin’s eyes widened in surprise. She knew her brother was mad but didn't think he was upset enough to warrant such a response. But could she blame him? Everyone was just tense these days.

     “Chill. I'm not saying they are, I just said it's not unlikely. I’m not gonna lie, being realistic is just better cause I’m not about to pretend like this is some movie where there’s a happy ending waiting for us in the end” Chaelin was being honest. Clearly she’d thought about this a lot, and to her it seemed better to accept the possibility of the worst than to feign ignorance. But of course to Haneul it was different. He himself knew his sister wasn’t wrong. But he was still a child, he was allowed to be immature, especially since all this hurt way too much than he was willing to handle.

     “ you” He mumbled quietly, and upon hearing the quiet “are you for real?” that Chaelin muttered back, he repeated himself louder.

     “ YOU” With that he was storming out of the living room, feet heading directly to the only place that was semi safe in this house.

 

    Pushing the door to his room open, Minjoon definitely had not expected to be faced with the tear streaked face of an evidently pissed Haneul.

    “The hel-” His words never left his lips as he was shoved to the side by the taller male. Usually he’d protest or shove back, but clearly this wasn’t a great time for Haneul. Coughing awkwardly, Minjoon averted his gaze, he’d never been good with people crying. Deciding to give the other some space- and because he’d just been about to leave to get some snacks from the kitchen anyways-he left the room.

    He hadn’t exactly been expecting Haneul to have moved from where he’d curled into himself on his bed, but it still surprised him a little to see the other male hadn’t even budged or shifted an inch. Slowly making his way back to his computer where he’d been playing a video game, he put back on his headphones. Usually in these games Minjoon’s focus hardly ever faltered, even when his attention was split between more than one factor. But every other second the male found his eyes travelling to Haneul’s figure on the bed, and eventually he gave up on ignoring him. Taking off his headphones, he turned his chair to fully face the other male.

    “O-oi..” He mumbled awkwardly, having never been good at consoling others. Haneul didn’t answer.

    “Yah- are you alright?” He repeated, this time chucking a pencil at the other. Haneul once again didn’t move, but this time he said something.

    “ off” He growled, and Minjoon sighed, somewhat relieved that he didn’t sound like he’d been asleep.

    “My room remember? I know I’m an but I’m not about to see a dude crying on my bed and remain silent”

    “I’m not crying.”

    “Ya, and I’m not gay” At this Haneul did turn around, eyes swollen, a sign that he’d definitely been crying.

    “You’re gay?” Well at least that had gotten his attention. Minjoon shrugged, turning back to his computer.

    “Surprise” He chirped sarcastically.

    “So what’s got your underwear all knotted?” He asked, this time hoping for a proper response. He didn’t expect one, but still hoped for one.

    “I think my parents are going to divorce”

    Minjoon couldn’t exactly say he was surprised by the response he got, he could see just how much Haneul and his sister were affected by their parent’s fight. He’d overheard his parents talk about the couple, and in their opinion it seemed highly unlikely that the fight would lead to a divorce, at least if things were handled properly.

    “That won’t happen” He answered confidently, and from the corner of his eyes, he saw Haneul raise a brow.

    “Oh? And what makes you think that?” His voice cracked slightly at the response, but Minjoon only figured it was because of his previous crying, at least he wasn’t in tears anymore.

    “Call it a hunch if you will” Minjoon simply replied, attention now effectively split between his game and the other male.

    “A hunch? Is that supposed to convince me?” Haneul asked, rolling to his side to fully face his temporary roommate. Minjoon didn’t say anything for a bit, fingers tapping frantically yet somewhat gracefully on his keyboard.

    “I’m bad at this” He mumbled after a while. Haneul immediately peeked at the computer screen. What game could the video game mini god possibly find challenging?

    “What game is that?” Minjoon rolled his eyes.

    “Not the game dip. I’m bad at cheering people up” He clarified, and Hanuel’s lips formed a quiet “oh”

    “Well you can’t be good at everything now can you?” He joked lightly, and Minjoon scoffed, very much relieved that the other seemed a lot better.

    “Whatever”

    A quiet silence fell onto the room, the only sound being the light darting clicks of the computer’s keyboard. Oddly enough it didn’t feel as awkward as it had before, it made Minjoon glad that he’d said something.

   “So”

   “You’re gay”

   Minjoon placed his headphones back onto his head, turning up the volume till it was loud enough for Haneul to hear slivers of the musicians. From the corner of his eyes he could see the taller male roll onto his back, lips pulled into that cocky smile he’d seen one of the other male’s father do countless times. It was kinda cute. Kinda. Like...in a nohomo way...yeah..

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!! We have returned!! Summer has begun and we now have all the free time in the world, so this story will be updated regularly once again. Every friday y'all! I hope you enjoy the update and that you stick around because who knows, the end might be approaching...