Chapter 4

The Jeon Family

    “We're going on a road trip!” Jimin announced happily, hands in the air and a smile on his face. Jungkook and Haneul looked over their shoulders at him, their video game paused, with confused expressions. Chaelin looked up from her phone to scowl then returned to texting. Jimin sighed and dropped his arms to his sides.

   “Come on guys, be more excited! We're going on a family trip!” Jungkook cheered half heartedly and nudged Haneul, who followed his example and clapped with a small ‘yay’.

   “Nice guys. Real nice. It's the start of summer break, we deserve some time away from work, don't you think Kookie?” Jungkook forced a smile at the pet name and nodded.

   “Definitely.” He knew he wasn't getting out of this one. Pet names meant there was no escape.

   “When do we leave?” he asked. Jimin smiled and put his hands on his hips.

   “On Saturday. You have three days to pack, don't make me do it for you right before we leave. That goes for all of you,” Jimin said and pointed at each of them in turn. Chaelin sighed and put her phone down.

   “Fine. Where are we going?”

   “The ocean in Busan.” Jungkook perked up.

   “Where we had our first proper date,” he said with a fond smile. Jimin nodded.

   “Yeah. Thought it'd be nice to go there with the kids.”

   “You guys went to the beach for a date? Wow, I've only ever been to movie theatres and cheap restaurants for my dates,” Chaelin grumbled.

   “Good, I don't want my baby in a bathing suit on a date,” Jungkook said with a frown. Chaelin sighed again and rolled her eyes.

   “So overprotective.” Jungkook chose to ignore her.

   “So we'll leave after lunch on Saturday. Have your bags packed by then,” Jimin said with finality and then left. Jungkook looked at each of his kids and shrugged, then he pressed play and proceeded to destroy Haneul in their game.

 

   “Is everyone ready to go?” Jimin yelled up the stairs and was met with his grumbling husband dragging a suitcase down the stairs.

   “Why did I pack so much?” he mumbled and Jimin rolled his eyes.

   “We won't be gone very long, only a few days. Go take out anything you don't need,” Jimin ordered. Jungkook whined and hauled his bag back up the stairs, dumping it out and repacking. By the time he returned the children were by the door with their bags and Jimin was hunting the car keys down.

   “Jungkook, do you know where I put the keys?” Jungkook put his suitcase by the door and squeezed Jimin’s as he bent to check on the coffee table. Jimin squeaked and turned to glare at his husband.

   “Well they're not in your back pocket,” he said with a sly grin. Chaelin, who witnessed the exchange, chuckled quietly. Jimin’s glare switched to her.

   “You. Help me find the keys.” Chaelin sighed and started searching the kitchen, Haneul knowing he was next moving into the hallway. Jungkook and Jimin searched the living room until Haneul came back with the keys jingling in his hand.

   “They were on your bedroom floor. Why were they there?” he asked. Jungkook and Jimin shared a look. Last night Jimin must have had the keys in his pocket when they… decided they didn't need their clothes on anymore.

   “That's a good question,” Jimin said as he took the keys from his son.

   “Alright, everyone take a bag and let's get this show on the road!” Chaelin groaned at the cliché phrase and Haneul chuckled at his sister’s pain. Each person took their things into the car and loaded it in the trunk, getting in and fastening their seat belts. Jungkook got in the driver’s seat and turned the key in the ignition, driving away with a small smile as he thought about seeing the beach again.

 

   Halfway to Busan Jimin felt a tap on his shoulder and he turned around to see Haneul staring at him.

   “Can we stop somewhere? I gotta use the washroom.”

   “Sure. Can you wait ten minutes?” Haneul nodded and Jimin turned to tell Jungkook to stop at the next rest stop when a loud pop sounded and the car swerved. Jungkook cursed and yanked on the wheel to correct their course. He slowed down and pulled onto the shoulder of the highway, getting out to investigate. The right rear tire was popped. Great.

   “So we popped a tire,” he said when he got back in the car.

   “. Kids, don't say that word,” Jimin said and got out to look at the damage with Jungkook. Chaelin raised her eyebrows at Haneul and he grinned mischievously.

   “,” he said.

   “Nobody is impressed, kid. Swear all you want without dad and daddy around.” Chaelin looked out the window and Haneul’s smile fell.

   “,” he grumbled.

   “Uh-huh.”

   Jungkook and Jimin opened the trunk to get their spare tire and jack, and the kids fell into an awkward silence. Jimin noticed the lack of snarky conversation they usually had.

   “You guys doing alright?”

   “Yeah,” they said in unison. Jimin, satisfied with the answer, returned to the task at hand. Him and Jungkook changed the tire quickly but after this and losing the keys earlier they were falling pretty far behind schedule.

   “Let's go. Oh, Haneul, didn't you say you had to use the washroom?” Jimin asked. Haneul nodded.

   “Why don't you just go here? I can block you or something but nobody will care.” Haneul mumbled a shy ‘okay’ and got out to stand in the grass in the ditch, Jimin following him and standing so no passing cars would see him.

   “You boys are so lucky. I can't pee on the side of a highway,” Chaelin said. Jungkook chuckled and turned to face her.

   “Trust me, it’s not a great experience.” His husband and son returned and Jungkook kicked it into high gear, speeding down the highway in the hopes of making up lost time. Unluckily for them they sped past a cop car and immediately the sirens and lights , the cop car taking off after them. Jungkook groaned and pulled over, earning a truly infuriated glare from Jimin.

   “How many things can go wrong today?” he asked angrily. Jungkook gave him an apologetic look and rolled the window down to speak to the officer. Half an hour later they were off again with a ticket and a fuming Jimin.

   “You should know better than to speed!” he yelled at Jungkook. The younger flinched and apologized profusely until Jimin finally stopped talking. Silence filled the car until Jungkook slowly and awkwardly reached for the radio and turned it on. The music seemed to lighten the mood slightly and Jimin’s scowl slowly disappeared. By the time they reached Busan they were all singing and laughing and having fun. Well, not Chaelin. Because what self respecting teenage girl would ever have fun with her parents? Absurd.

   Jungkook parked at the hotel they were staying at, which was near the ocean, and Jimin smiled. When they got to their rooms - Jimin and Chaelin in one, Jungkook and Haneul in another - and unpacked Jimin suggested they find somewhere to eat dinner.

   “That trip took way longer than it should have,” he said while they ate. Jungkook nodded and started to say something but he suddenly froze, face paling. A drop of sweat formed on his forehead and Jimin gripped his arm lightly.

   “Jungkook? What's wrong?” Jungkook didn't answer, instead running to the washroom. Jimin winced when he came back sweating and pale, hands clammy and hair disheveled.

   “Did the food make you sick?” Jimin asked worriedly. Jungkook nodded.

   “Let's go back to the hotel.” Jimin paid for the meal and the family hurried back to the hotel, Jimin driving. At the hotel Jungkook collapsed onto his bed, only to get up almost immediately and rush to the washroom. Jimin followed him in and grimaced as his husband emptied the contents of his stomach.

   “Maybe I should stay with you tonight. The kids can survive in a room by themselves,” Jimin suggested when Jungkook was done.

   “Okay.”

   “Kids, you'll have to share a room tonight, I'm gonna stay with your father. Try not to murder each other,” Jimin said and traded room keys with Haneul.

   “Don't bet on it,” Chaelin said and walked to their room, which was just down the hall. Haneul followed after giving Jungkook a worried glance. Jimin sighed.

   “This trip is a mess. Are you okay Jungkook? Need some medicine?” Jungkook shook his head.

   “I think it's food poisoning. It'll be gone by tomorrow night. Then we can go to the beach,” he said with a small smile. Jimin petted his hair gently and watched Jungkook lean over the toilet again, heaving until nothing was left in his stomach. What a great vacation.

 

   A couple days later Jungkook was back to normal and the family was all set to go to the beach. They got in the car, drove to the beach, set up in a nice spot Jungkook remembered from coming there in college, and began to relax. Haneul went in the water, Chaelin sunbathed, and Jungkook and Jimin sat side by side reminiscing about their first date which had happened on this beach.

   “Remember my shorts almost came off?” Jungkook laughed and Jimin leaned back, laughing loudly.

   “Oh god, yeah I remember. I was freaking out, I didn't know if I wanted it to happen or not.” Jungkook shoved him roughly and Jimin laughed some more.

   “So you wanted to see me on the first date?” Jimin flushed.

   “No!! I looked away so you could fix your shorts!” he reminded Jungkook.

   “Right. Hmm, have you ever thought about doing it in the water?” Jungkook suddenly asked, wrapping his arm around Jimin. The older made a disgruntled noise and moved away.

   “Not when there are people around, god.” Jungkook chuckled and rested his head on Jimin’s shoulder. Chaelin watched them and sighed. Her dads were cute, she had to admit, but PDA? No thank you.

   After a few hours on the beach, which were filled with splashing water on everyone and flirting between the parents they decided to head home. Tomorrow they would go back to Seoul and Jimin was determined to have a smooth trip back, which started with a good night’s sleep.

   “Sleep well kids,” he said and shut their door quietly. He returned to his and Jungkook’s room and climbed into bed, making himself cozy beside Jungkook.

   “This was a nice trip,” Jungkook said quietly and Jimin hummed in acknowledgement.

   “Let's never do it again,” the older said. Jungkook chuckled and kissed Jimin’s forehead.

   “Agreed.”