Chapter 12

The Jeon Family

   “Hey Jungkookie, what time are we picking Haneul up from his friend’s house again?” Jimin asked his husband, who was washing dishes after dinner. Jungkook grimaced as he tried to remember.

   “I think he said 7 o’clock.” Jimin ran a hand through his hair tiredly and sighed.

   “Chaelin needs to learn to drive so we don't have to bring them everywhere,” he grumbled. Jungkook finished up and sat next to Jimin on the couch.

   “I know baby. She'll learn soon enough, and then we'll be off the hook.”

   “She needs to learn now. We should convince her to take the test somehow…” Jungkook hummed.

   “How about we tell her she'll be able to stay out with her friends for as long as she wants once she has a license? Who knows how that'll turn out but at least it's a reason to get it.” Jimin chuckled dryly and crossed his arms.

   “If she even has friends by the time that happens. I mean, we'll have moved by then, right?” He sounded bitter and Jungkook frowned at the comment. He put a hand on Jimin’s thigh.

   “Baby, we still haven't decided whether we're moving or not. Don't worry about it.”

   “How can I not worry when I could potentially be losing all my clients, putting the kids in a new school, taking them away from all of their friends…” Jungkook felt his stomach twist when his husband’s eyes started to water slightly. He Jimin’s hair to soothe him.

   “Jimin. We can stay if it means that much to you.” He thought that would make Jimin feel better but instead the man him and barked out,

   “So it doesn't bother you?! You're fine with leaving everything behind for a promotion? What about our friends? What about their kids, our niece and nephew? Why are you so okay with this?”

   Jungkook blinked, shocked at the outburst, and that's when the tears began to fall. Jimin stayed silent as tears streaked down his face, staring harshly at Jungkook, who didn't know what to do. He tried to wrap his arm around Jimin but the other shoved him off and moved away.

   “Answer me or leave.” Jungkook struggled to come up with a good answer. Because he wanted to support the family better? Because a change of scenery could be a good thing? Because starting anew somewhere else might actually be fun? He didn't think any of these were good enough.

   “I… I don't know. I'm sorry.” He got up. And he left. Jungkook walked upstairs, went into Haneul’s room so Jimin could use theirs, and sat on the bed. He stared at his hands and thought, trying to ignore the quiet crying coming from downstairs.

 

………………..

 

   Jimin texted his son from the car to say he was outside ready to pick him up, and a moment later Haneul appeared, waving to his friend and slinging his backpack over his shoulder. As he opened the passenger door and sat down, he noticed his dad’s dark expression.

   “Dad? What's wrong?” Jimin looked at Haneul and forced a small smile.

   “Oh, nothing's wrong. I'm just tired. Sorry I'm late,” he said and shifted into drive. Haneul only nodded, feeling like that wasn't the truth. His dad was only fifteen minutes late to pick him up, but he was never late. Something was off.

   When they got home Haneul went to his room and found Jungkook reading one of his books from the shelf.

   “Daddy?” he said. Jungkook looked up and set the book down, embarrassed.

   “Oh, hey bud. I wanted to check out your collection. When did you get so many books?” Haneul raised his eyebrows.

   “Since when do you care about my books?” he asked suspiciously. Jungkook shrugged.

   “I thought I should get into reading. And you have a lot of classics here, it's actually quite impressive.” He smiled at his son, who stepped back a bit, clearly not buying it.

   “Uhhh daddy, what's going on? Dad was acting weird too. Did you guys have a fight or something?” Jungkook scratched the back of his neck nervously.

   “A fight? No, of course not. When have your father and I ever fought? No, I think we're both just… tired.” Haneul frowned. The same excuse Jimin had given him. Haneul shrugged nonchalantly, trying to make his dad believe that he thought nothing was wrong.

   “Okay. You can borrow that book if you want, you've already read quite a bit,” he said, motioning to the novel next to Jungkook.

   “Oh. Thanks.” Jungkook picked it up and stood up, lingering by the bed. Haneul raised an eyebrow again but Jungkook didn't say anything, he just moved past his son into the hall quietly.

   Huh, Haneul thought. That was weird.

 

……………..

 

   “Jimin, will you please talk to me?” Jungkook sat next to his husband on their bed, pleading with him to work out whatever had happened earlier. Jimin wasn't looking at him.

   “Why? You want to move, I don't. What can we say that will make that change?” Jungkook sighed and stared at his lap.

   “I don't know. But we need to talk. We can't be mad at each other, not now. We need to work together. You know that, right?” Jimin glances at Jungkook and feels a flicker of hope that things could work out when he meets his eyes. He looks away to stop that flicker from catching fire and turning into a blaze. He can't afford false hope.

   “Yeah, I know we do. So for now, can we just agree that we probably won't move, and we can discuss this again later?” He sounded so desperate. Desperate for stability, for a decision to be made, for life not to change. So Jungkook nodded.

   “Sure. Let's forget this little argument happened, okay? Forget about the offer for a bit.” Jimin nodded and rested his head on Jungkook’s shoulder. They both felt some of the tension leave their bodies and the air surrounding them, and Jungkook put an arm around Jimin. Jimin let him this time.

   “I love you,” he said softly, kissing the top of Jimin’s head.

   “I love you too.” Jimin turned to kiss Jungkook’s neck, and they felt like things would be okay. As long as they stuck together.