Chapter 20

The Jeon Family

   Jungkook was finally ready. It had been a couple of weeks since he had begun staying with Namjoon and his friend's words had been tough to hear but helpful. Jungkook knew that he had to talk to Jimin and apologize, he had to try to fix the relationship. Screw the decision about moving. The family comes first. He only hoped that Jimin would be willing to accept him and make things better as well.

   “I'm really glad you're doing this Jungkook.” Namjoon held the door open for him. Jungkook smiled in thanks, although it looked a bit sad.

   “Yeah. I hope it goes well. Thanks for letting me stay here and for helping me out with this,” Jungkook said. Namjoon put a hand on his shoulder.

   “You know it. Now go fix things. I'll be here if you need me.” Jungkook nodded and turned to walk to his car, giving his friend one more smile and wave before heading back to his house. Namjoon watched him go silently, then he closed his door and prayed that everything would turn out okay.

 

   Jimin heard a knock on the door and, expecting Taehyung, dragged himself off the couch to answer it. When he opened the door, however, he froze.

   “Jungkook?” he said, guarded. Jungkook gave him a small, apologetic smile and whispered,

   “Can I come in?” Jimin moved and let his husband in almost without realizing, the surprise of seeing him still clouding his mind.

   “What are you doing here?” Jimin asked quietly. Jungkook stood awkwardly, not sure if he was welcome to sit down on the couch or not. He decided to stay standing.

   “I wanted to apologize. This whole mess… it's my fault. I'm the one who got the job offer. I'm the one who wanted to move. I lost my cool first. I ran out on you, on the kids, and I'm sorry. I've been staying with Namjoon and he said some really important things and he made me realise… Jimin, I love you and the kids way more than I could ever explain.” Jimin stayed silent through Jungkook's speech and when they made eye contact Jungkook realised that Jimin had started crying.

   “Jimin? Are you okay?” he asked. Jimin wiped his eyes.

   “You're an idiot if you think that just saying sorry will make it better,” he responded.

   “I know that it doesn't fix anything, I just… needed you to know. I am sorry Jimin. I want to make things better.” Jimin sighed.

   “Yeah, I do too.”

   “Okay. Then let's start trying.”

   Jimin crossed his arms, folding into himself just a little bit, but Jungkook still noticed. Jimin was afraid, and it was Jungkook's fault. Jungkook blinked and forced himself to look elsewhere before he started crying as well.

   “How should we start?” Jimin asked.

   “Why don't we just sit and eat dinner together? We don't have to talk about anything, let's just take it in baby steps,” Jungkook suggested. With a nod, Jimin went to get some dishes and the leftovers from yesterday.

   The dinner was good, albeit a bit strained. Both men tried to make casual conversation a few times, but it always trailed off into an uncomfortable silence. By the end of the meal they had resigned themselves to silence, favouring it over the forced conversation. Jimin stood up and took their plates, Jungkook moving to stop him.

   “Let me clean up,” he said. Jimin gave a small smile and let him take the dishes.

   “Thank you,” he whispered. Jungkook hummed in reply and went to work washing them. By the time he finished the atmosphere had lightened a little bit, just enough for them to sit down on the couch together. They weren't sitting very close, but it was a start.

   “So… Where are you planning on staying now? Still with Namjoon or here? I see you brought your bag of things back.” Jimin said. Jungkook nodded and looked at him nervously.

   “I thought I could try staying here, if you're okay with that.” Jimin nodded.

   “Couch is yours,” he said. Jungkook smiled, slightly amused. You know something's off when someone's sleeping on the couch.

   “Sure. Thanks.”

   “The kids?” Jimin asked.

   “Keep them with Hoseok and Yoongi until we figure everything out. They don't need to see me exiled in the living room,” he joked. Jimin smiled and nodded.

   “Okay. And hey. Thanks for apologizing. I'm sorry too.” Jungkook looked at his hands.

   “You don't have to be,” he said.

   “Well I still am. Now watch your stupid tv and go to sleep. We'll talk tomorrow.”

   “Okay. Goodnight Jimin.” The smaller man stood up and gave Jungkook a smile.

   “Goodnight Jungkook.”

 

   Haneul stretched his neck and made a face, sighing sadly. His neck and shoulders were killing him, sleeping on the floor for two weeks did not feel very nice.  

   “What's up?” Minjoon asked from his desk, taking a break from homework. Meanwhile Haneul was just sitting on the bed playing games on his phone. What a responsible student.

   “My neck is just sore, I think I slept weird,” he answered. Minjoon took a moment before responding.

   “Why don't you just sleep on my bed then?” Haneul stared at him.

   “Like… with you?” Minjoon nodded and turned back to his homework nonchalantly.

   “Yeah. We can put a pillow between us or something if you want. But you should sleep somewhere more comfortable than the floor.” Haneul considered the offer for a moment before shrugging.

   “Alright. Thanks Minjoon.” He picked up his pillow from the floor and threw it next to Minjoon's, claiming a side of the bed as his own. Minjoon tried to hide the smile and slight blush that was creeping onto his face.

   When it was time for bed Minjoon put his work away and turned the light off, making his way to the bed. They both realized that in order to get into the bed, Minjoon would have to climb over Haneul, who was laying farthest from the wall. Haneul shifted awkwardly while Minjoon tried to get over him. For a split second he was straddling Haneul and, refusing to make eye contact, he scrambled onto his side and flopped down. The room was suddenly kind of warm. Haneul turned his back to Minjoon and pulled the covers up, signalling that he was going to sleep.

   “Do you want to put a pillow between us?” Minjoon asked.

   “No it's fine. Just don't get touchy. I know I'm hard to resist,” Haneul joked and Minjoon chuckled nervously.

   “Alright well… Goodnight,” he said.

   “Goodnight,” Haneul responded. After that the room went silent, up until Haneul started snoring. Minjoon just laid there, wide awake, sneaking glances at the boy in his bed. Why had he thought that this was a good idea