Chapter 15

The Jeon Family

     Jimin hated tension. Things between him and Jungkook hadn't gotten any less intense, and he was starting to wish the promotion had never come.

    “Dad..is everything okay?” Chaelin had asked one afternoon, nudging her chin towards the couch where Jungkook was zoning out. Jimin pursed his lips, aware that she must have noticed him avoiding his husband and vice versa.

    “We're fine,” he answered curtly, hoping the answer would be enough.

    “Is this about the promotion?” Chaelin continued and Jimin looked away, not answering. Chaelin sighed.

    “I don't wanna move,” she mumbled. Jimin let out a wry chuckle.

   “Ya, me too,” he answered. The silence that followed was enough for him to decide that this issue had dragged on long enough. He needed to talk to Jungkook, and they needed to resolve this, whatever this was.

 

   “Kookie, we need to talk.”

   Looking up from his crouched position over his desk, Jungkook’s lips parted as he stared back at his husband. He'd been dreading this conversation for days, clearly they both had been.

    “What's there to talk about? You don't want to move and I do, neither of us are going to change our minds,” he muttered, returning back to the stack of forms he had to fill out. Pursing his lips Jimin chose not to dwell on the irritation in his husband's voice, after all the situation was bad enough as it was.

    “Well we're going to have to figure something out sooner or later, you avoiding me doesn't solve anything,” he answered, making his way over to lean on the desk. Jungkook scoffed, pen dropping onto the table, and Jimin immediately knew he hadn't chosen a good time.

    “You say that like you weren't avoiding me either. Look now isn't a good time, I've got to finish and an argument isn't what I need right now.”

    Jimin knew he should have dropped the topic then, but this had gone on long enough, and the whole family needed to move past this. Plus it didn't help that he'd been dealing with a difficult client recently, and quite frankly his patience was really low.

    “Jungkook, don't act like you're the only busy person here. For goodness sake your deadline to accept or decline the offer is fast approaching and we sti-” The loud sound of a fist landing on the desk had Jimin’s words catching in his throat. Looking up with wide eyes as his husband rose from his seat, tightly clenched fist still on the desk, Jimin gulped.

    “Fine. I'll decline the ing thing, it's what you want right? You're not about to give up, you never ing give up, hell I'm always the one making the sacrifices. So just have it your way...you always do anyways.”

    Heart still thrumming from the loud impact of his husbands fist with the desk, Jimin felt his irritation slowly rise as well. Eyes narrowing to  dangerous slits, his voice remained eerily quiet.

    “I always get what I want?” With a sharp scoff, Jimin continued, fingers now running through his already messy hair.

    “Who was it that wanted us to move to Seoul in the first place? Cause if I remember that was you. You made us leave Busan and now that we've finally just settled you want us to leave again.” Jungkook was already speaking before Jimin even had the chance to finish.

    “You make it sound as if you weren't completely for it. If I remember correctly you didn't even protest once, in fact you were ecstatic to come to Seoul.”

    “Well ya but back then we didn't have kids, we were just finishing college and had all the room to be moving around!”

    “How's that a valid argument then? If the situation back then isn't applicable to the one right now then why are you bringing it up??”

    Swallowing in disbelief at the childishness of their banter, Jimin shook his head.

    “Kookie you're being childish, all of this is childish, jus-”

    “I already said I'll decline the offer so just ing step off!” Jumping at the loud yell, Jimin’s eyes widened, he hadn't seen his husband this upset in a long time.

    “Jungkoo-” Jungkook was already walking out of the room before Jimin could even finish.

 

    “-so just ing step off!”

    Heads immediately darting towards the stairs from which Jungkook’s voice had rang down, both Chaelin and Haneul exchanged a look. They were very well aware of the tensions that had arisen between their parents, and clearly this was the breaking point. Haneul was already halfway up from his seat when Jungkook came storming down the stairs, Jimin only a few steps behind him.

    “Jungkook calm the down, you're being ridiculous,” the older man hissed, totally forgetting to contain his swearing in the kids presence.

     “Jesus Jimin I already said I'll drop the promotion, what else do you want?!” Jungkook asked, throwing his arms up in exasperation and evident irritation.

     “The kids are literally right there, get a hold of yourself and stop being so ing difficult. You're not a child, I'm not gonna be taking care three kids when I only have two,” Jimin shot back. At this point both Chaelin and Haneul could do nothing but awkwardly stare and wish none of this had happened.

     “Me? Being childish? If anything I'm the realist here, it's normal to choose the overall financial well being of the family over your selfish needs to be on top of your social life. But I gave you what you want already didn't I? I'm apparently the child here despite the fact that I don't need to be given what I want before I can learn to just shut u-”

       No one had expected the slap that followed, not even Jimin whose eyes were wide in shock as he stared at the red mark on his husbands cheek. Jungkook looked just as baffled.

       “Did you just..” Without even finishing, Jungkook turned to leave.

        “Jungkook!” Jimin yelled after him, but at the point even he knew there was nothing he could do. All three watched as the other man slammed the front door behind him, the loud sound still echoing in the deafening silence that followed. Jungkook didn't come back that night, or even the next.

 

---------------------------------------------------

Ooh, things are getting more intense~