Little heartbeats

Bookshop

Kyuhyun checked his phone message again to ensure that he had reached the correct address. The apartment that he has arranged to rent for a month is AUD 500 per week and it was at 6/179 Walker Street North Sydney, NSW 2060. His university has agreed to bear the cost, so he proceed to secure the one month rental. 

He followed the instructions to retrieve the key and managed to open the door. It was a nice split unit 2-storey home with British style exterior and the house is neat and tidy. It has 1 large bedroom, 1 bathroom, kitchen and laundry. 

He nodded with approval when he saw the house. Smiling, he messaged back the landlady that he has checked in. He liked the house, and wished that Sungmin was here too. Thinking of Sungmin made him missed her a lot. He took photos of the house and send the pictures to her, with a message "Wish you are here with me. Call you tonight". 

The apartment is near to his internship company, which was at First Data. The office is at 11/168 Walker St, North Sydney NSW 2060, and though it is quite a walkable distance, at least he could saved on transport. 

Sungmin missed Kyuhyun a lot too, especially after seeing his selfie and the nice apartment that he rented. She was glad that he arrived safely and will start his internship the next day, but she couldn't help missing him. 

Something was wrong with her body. She felt different, as in physically. Her for one, were more tender, she seemed to be putting on weight, especially around her face, and she looked more paler than usual. She scared there were really something wrong with her and Kyuhyun was not with her. 

The next two weeks were hectic at the bookshop. Sungmin was busy showing Victoria almost everything, and supprisingly, there were more tourist who dropped by her bookshop. As Victoria was from China, she has been the one who entertained those Chinese tourist who bought lots of travel books and books on Melbourne and its surroundings. It was tiring for Sungmin and by evening, she was so exhausted that she literally slept on her sofa on her mezzanine floor. 

Sungmin had bought her domestic air ticket to go to Sydney. She was looking forward to spend the weekend with Kyuhyun, and furthermore, Victoria had promised to look after her bookshop and assured her not to worry. Sungmin had bought him 2 sets of business shirts and ties and a Giorgio Armani Code Colonia Eau de Toilette Spray.

She felt strange when she started feeling cramps around her abdomen, but she didn't have her menses. She decided to bring along some supplies of sanitary pads in case her menses come when she had reached Sydney. 

The flight was full but as it was very windy, the flight journey was quite turbulence. She felt dizzy and she prayed hard that she was alright until she reached Sydney by evening time. 

Her dizziness was bad. Luckily the flight touched down safely in Sydney airport but when she tried to retrieve her cabin luggage from the overhead compartment, she felt like she was swaying and losing her focus. A cabin crew came to her aid, and brought down her luggage, and helped her to disembarked. The cabin crew only let her walked on her own when Sungmin assured her that she was alright. 

Kyuhyun was waiting for Sungmin and waved at her when he saw her. But he got alarmed when he noticed that she was pale and rushed to her. 

"Min, what happened? Are you alright?" Kyuhyun hugged her and helped her to a seat. 

"Kyu! There was a turbulance and I got dizzy. I couldn't even bring down my luggage. Luckily a cabin crew helped me" Sungmin said in-between her dizziness. 

"Come let's grab something to eat.  You must be hungry". He helped her up but when she stood up, she staggered and blackout. Luckily Kyuhyun was fast enough and caught her. Some airport security came running to him and when Kyuhyun told them that his wife had fainted, they helped to call the airport paramedics and ambulance. 

Sungmin was sent to the nearest hospital, and at the A&E, she was put into an observation ward. Kyuhyun held her hand all through the ambulance journey and now, in the observation ward. He only let go of her hand when a doctor was checking her, which he has to stay outside. 

After a while, the doctor called him and asked whether he was the husband. 

"Yes doctor. And by the way, she is anaemic" 

"I see, no wonder. Hmm Mr Cho, right? I am Dr Allen William. Ok your wife need to stay here for the night as she is quite weak at the moment. We need to monitor the baby's heartbeat and give your wife some iron supplements, but these are quite mild, so don't worry and..." 

"hold on doctor, what did you say? Baby's heartbeat?" 

"Yes, your wife is pregnant but I think she..." 

"She's pregnant???" 

"Yes, Mr Cho. Ohh you didn't know? 

Kyuhyun shook his head in a daze!! OhmyGod!!! Min is pregnant??!! "I'm going to be a father!!!!" Kyuhyun said it excitedly. 

"Congratulations!" 

"Oh thank you, Dr William. So you were saying about the baby's heartbeat. Is my wife and our baby alright?" 

"We have taken some blood samples and we need to wait for a while for the result. We are arranging for an ultrasound scanner machine and from there we can check the baby's condition further. As at now, my estimation is your wife is about 4 weeks pregnant, but I will let the gynaecologist to confirm and to have further checks".

"Doctor, the ward is ready, we can push the patient to the ward now. Mr Cho, this is the ward number, you need to register your your at the admin desk at our lobby, then you can go up to Level 7, room 13. As at now, we only have single rooms available" a nurse told Kyuhyun. 

"Yes that's fine. Alright, I will do the registration now" Kyuhyun thanked both the doctor and the nurse, and took both Sungmin's luggage and her bag. 

This must be the happiest Friday in his life! He couldn't really describe his feelings right now. He wanted to shout to the world, yet he couldn't help being worried about Sungmin's condition. And she travel here alone!! Thank God nothing serious happened to her. And what a wonderful birthday gift for him!! 

The registration went off smoothly (he was really her husband now, so he gladly signed the insurance coverage) and he was on the way to the ward at level 7. He couldn't get Victoria, so he called Changmin instead. 

"Chwang!!" 

"Heyyy man, how's Sydney? Is Sungmin there with you??" 

Kyuhyun excitedly told him about Sungmin's pregnancy and there were many happy expressions exchanged and then Kyuhyun asked whether Victoria could look after the bookshop fulltime for another 2 weeks. He preferred Sungmin to stay here to rest and they would be travelling back to Melbourne together. 

"Sure man, Vic said no problem and she shouted her congratulations to you. And happy birthday too!!!" 

"Thank you thank you!!"  Kyuhyun was still smiling as he cut off the line. 

"Mr Cho? Glad that you are here" a lady doctor greeted him at the door to ward 13. 

"Yes doctor, err Dr Jones.?" Kyuhyun saw her name on her lab coat. 

"I'm Dr Jessica Jones, glad to meet you. I'm the resident gynaecologist and I will take over your wife case. She's awake now and you can see her. We will do the ultrasound scan in about 10 minutes time ok" 

"Thank you doctor" Kyuhyun bowed slightly and carried the cabin luggage and Sungmin's bag into the room. "Heyyy, Min" he smile at his wife when he entered the room and Sungmin turned to him. 

"Kyu.." 

Kyuhyun rushed towards the bed after he put down whatever he carried. Holding her hand, he bent down and kissed her "How are you feeling?" 

"Tired. Did I fainted?" and when Kyuhyun nodded and kissed her hand, she added "Kyu, the doctor said I'm pregnant" 

"I know! Isn't it amazing! We are going to have a baby!!!" 

"But Kyu, it will be a heavy burden to you. You are going to graduate and then enter working life..."

"Heyyy don't say that. It's God's gift for us. I purposely want to let it happen naturally, that's why I didn't put on . And I am very happy, Min. It's the best birthday gift for me!" Kyuhyun lifted her upper body and hugged her. "the gynae will do the ultrasound scan soon, and we can see our baby and hear it's heartbeat!" Kyuhyun sound excited. Sungmin smile. 

"I feel so dumb, I didn't even know I was pregnant! I have all the symptoms yet I couldn't guess" 

"It's ok. If you know and you tell me, I will definitely not allow you to take the flight alone. Then we wouldn't spend time together like now" Kyuhyun smile assuringly and soothed her hair. "I missed you so much" 

"I missed you too"

"I've arranged for Vic to take care of the bookshop for the next two weeks. I want you to stay with me here in Sydney, and we will fly back together" 

"I owe Vic a lot of favours" 

A nurse knocked and came in pushing an ultrasound scanning machine. She explained what she would be doing and she needed Sungmin to remove her underwear and that she would put gel on her abdominal area. Though Sungmin felt shy, she allowed Kyuhyun to help her. 

Seeing that Sungmin beginning to feel scared, Kyuhyun held her hand again "Don't be scared and shy, Min. The gynae is a lady doctor. Just think that we are going to see our baby ok" 

Sungmin nodded. The nurse put the cold gel on her abdominal area and covered her leg with a piece of surgical towel. She switched on the ultrasound scanner and informed them that the gynae would be here soon. 

Dr Jones came and started the procedure, and told  Sungmin to relax.  She kept talking, like asking her when was her last menses, etc, in order to distract her from the scanner insertion into her . Sungmin gripped Kyuhyun's hand tightly to hold her pain and discomfort, but after a while, she started to relax. 

"Alright, just a minute, and.... there's your baby! It's still small at this stage and, oh, I let you hear the heartbeat. Baby's heartbeat are so much faster than us adults. You should be 5 weeks pregnant, Mrs Cho, if we calculate from your last menses"

Kyuhyun couldn't believe what he saw. His baby!!! His baby that is growing inside his wife's tummy. And that dugun-dugun-dugun heartbeat!! It's the best music for his ears!! "Dr Jones, can I record the heartbeat sound?" 

"Sure, go ahead. I will give you an image of your baby as well" and she asked for Kyuhyun's phone number and she sent the image to his phone. 

"Doctor, a few days ago I felt cramps and I couldn't walk properly because of the pain. Is there something wrong?" Sungmin asked Dr Jones. Kyuhyun turned to look at Sungmin with concerned as he didn't know that  Sungmin were in pain. 

"Not really. You are still in your early stage, Mrs Cho. Cramps happened when your womb is trying to enlarge because of the growing baby. It's an ongoing process so you will be having occasional cramps along the way. I can suggest some mild painkillers for you. And you are anaemic, is that right? So if your red blood cells did not supply enough blood to your placenta, it started to demand more blood, so there are some squeezing of the womb too, so this act of enlarging and squeezing caused severe cramps for some, but mild cramps for others. Try to eat more food with iron, it helps you to generate more red blood cell"

"I see. Doctor, we are actually a Melbourne residence. Can I go for my monthly checkups in Melbourne?" 

"No problem. I can get the nurse to make an appointment for you in our affiliate hospital in Melbourne. Alright Mrs Cho, I'm going to pull out the scanner. Just relax ok" and when the scanner was out, Dr Jones said "Excellent, Mrs Cho. We'll clean you up and we need you to stay here for tonight, and if you feel better tomorrow and everything is alright with the blood test, you can be discharged".

"Dr Jones, can I stay here overnight too?" Kyuhyun asked as he would be too worried if he went home. 

"Yes, you can as this is a single bedder room. You just need to get a 24hr visitor pass from our concierge at Level 1, and you can access the doors 24 hours"

"Thank you doctor" Kyuhyun said to the doctor and informed Sungmin that he would be back shortly. 

Sungmin smile and nodded. She was happy and thank God that she has made Kyuhyun the happiest man. She touched her tummy. "baby, grow well and be good, ok. Mummy and daddy love you".