Hunger pangs

Bookshop

That night, Kyuhyun received a text from his mother to wish him a happy birthday. He in turn video-called his mother, from Sungmin's hospital bed, to tell her their good news. His mother was so happy that her grandchild is on the way but was concerned about Sungmin's health, who looked very tired on the hospital bed. 

Kyuhyun sat next to Sungmin on the bed and hugged her closer while Sungmin assured her mother-in-law that she felt fine, and they showed her their baby's image from the ultrascan. Mrs Cho literally jumping for joy and called Kyuhyun's dad and Ahra too, to come nearer to her to see the baby's image. Before they waved goodbye, Mrs Cho told them that they would fly to Melbourne to visit them soon. 

"Kyu, I almost forgot!! Happy birthday! I did buy something for you but they are in the luggage" Sungmin said, remembering that she forgot to wish her husband a birthday wish. 

"Thank you, my dearest Min, and thank you for my biggest birthday present, which is our baby. This is the best birthday ever!" Kyuhyun said while rubbing her tummy. 

"But we didn't have time for a birthday cake or dinner. I'm so so sorry, Kyu" 

"What are you apologising for? We can always buy a cake tomorrow. Don't worry about it ok" Kyuhyun hugged her and kissed her forehead. "Min, lie down properly and sleep. You need plenty of rest" he said while getting off the bed so that Sungmin could lie down. 

Sungmin's blood test was out the next morning. Other than anaemic, she was fine, though her blood pressure was quite low. Dr Jessica Jones talked to both of them about Sungmin's condition during her first trimester.

"Mrs Cho, you will need more intake of food with iron, and less strenuous work. I will recommend some supplements and some anti-nausea because as you approach your 8th week, you will start to feel more nausea and vomiting, especially in the morning. Also, as you are anaemic, try to take digestive biscuits, maybe 1 or 2 pieces every hour ok, or else you feel some hunger pangs every now and then".

"Yes, doctor" Sungmin said, and added "if I feel cramps, is it ok, or can I take paracetamol? Isit safe for the baby?"

"Hmm, let's see. I would suggest panadol, not paracetamol, because panadols are more mild, but try to lie down instead of moving around. It will help to lessen the cramps".

"Doctor, is it ok for her to walk around, like touring Sydney? Is it too strenuous for her?" Kyuhyun asked, knowing that his wife surely would want to visit so many places in Sydney.

"Sure, it is ok, as long as not too strenuous. No prolong climbing like trekking at  Blue Mountains or Jenolan Cave!" she laughed, and both of them laughed too, as definitely Kyuhyun would not agree to go to these places now that Sungmin is expecting.

"Also, no cycling for you, alright, but it's ok to walk, just that you rest if you are tired. And don't worry, you two can still make love throughout the pregnancy" she smile.

Sungmin smile shyly and thanked Dr Jones. She was grateful for all her advises as she was still clueless on what she can do and should not do. She felt her hands were squeezed, and when she looked up, Kyuhyun was smiling at her, indicating silently that he would be there to go through everything with her.

"You can be discharged at 10am, and the nurse will give you the letter for you to hand it to Melbourne Hospital to continue your monthly check-ups, and she will give you your medication sheet for you to get your medications from our affiliated drugstore. I wish you two good luck, take care and congratulations again!" Dr Jones shook their hands and took her leave.

"Kyu, I better remove this hospital gown and change back to my blouse and pants, so that I can be ready to be discharged later". 

Kyuhyun helped her get down from the bed "Careful Min, and I think I will carry you to the bathroom instead".

"Kyu, I can walk"

"No, I want to carry you" and Kyuhyun scooped Sungmin up into his arms and brought her to the bathroom. He started to her hospital gown but Sungmin stopped him.

But Kyuhyun continued to ed them "Min, why are you still shy with me.  Let me look at you. Hmmm, you put on weight coz your are bigger!"

"Kyu, it's because of the baby!" Sungmin playfully slapped Kyuhyun's hands. 

"Hahaha, I'm just joking. My wife is so beautiful" he kissed her and bend down to kiss her tummy after removing her hospital gown entirely "Baby, your mummy is very very beautiful and daddy loves her so much!! And I love you too!!" and he kissed her tummy again.

Sungmin laughed because Kyuhyun was so cute. With Kyuhyun's help, she changed into her previous attire and they got ready to be discharged. Her hospitalisation would be covered by insurance and the nurse gave them the medication list which they have to collect from their affiliated drugstore next to the hospital.

Luckily Kyuhyun had rented a car the week before, so it was easier to travel around. Driving back to his apartment, they have to pass through Sydney Harbour Bridge to travel to North Sydney. Sungmin was so happy to be able to see the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge and she begged Kyuhyun to stop the car once they have crossed over so that she could take some photos. Ended up, they took selfies and wefie with naughty Kyuhyun kept holding his wife's tummy. 

Sungmin took lots of photos of Sydney Opera House too from across the bridge, and was very happy when Kyuhyun told her that they could have dinner at the harbour that night and would slowly walk to the Opera House after that, if Sungmin was not too tired by then. 

On the way to Kyuhyun's apartment, they stopped by a bakery to buy a small cake. While Kyuhyun was at the cashier to make the payment with the owner's husband, the lady owner noticed that Sungmin kept looking at a strawberry pie and asked her whether she wanted a piece. Scared that they would have too many things to eat, she told her no, with a sad face. 

"Ma'am, take it, I give you a piece, no charge" the lady scooped up a piece and put it in a box. 

"No, no, I'll pay for it" Sungmin was surprised that the lady was so kind. 

"Are you expecting, ma'am?" the lady asked, smiling kindly. 

"How could you tell??" Sungmin asked, surprised. 

The lady smile and said "Only mothers like me could tell. And seriously, this pie is for you" 

"Oh my god, thank you!!! Thank you very much!!" Sungmin said while walking towards the cashier to find Kyuhyun. 

"You two are such a beautiful couple. Where do you come from?" the lady asked. 

"We are Koreans, but I'm a permanent residence in Melbourne. This is my husband and he is on a job attachement here for a month" Sungmin explained to her. 

"Wonderful! You take great care of yourself yeah? Enjoy the cake and the pie!" 

"Thank you!" Kyuhyun said while waiving at her and her husband. 

"They are such wonderful people, Kyu! I thought Sydney people are more stuck up compared to Melbourne" Sungmin said while holding Kyuhyun's hand as he led them back to the car. 

"Yes, so far I'm here, I met mostly nice people who welcome me even if I am a foreigner. It surprised me too" Kyuhyun said and after helping Sungmin to the passenger seat, he put the cake and the pie at the back seat. 

Seeing that Sungmin was rubbing her tummy, Kyuhyun asked with alarm "Min are you ok?" 

"I'm hungry" 

"Do you want your pie? Or if you can wait, the apartment is just in the next block" Kyuhyun looked at his wife worriedly. 

For the first time, Sungmin experience an extreme hunger pang. It felt like squeezing her and she has to lean back to hold her discomfort. It wasn't painful but just squeezing. 

Kyuhyun panicked. He quickly took the pie, wipe her hand, took the spoon that the lady put in the paper bag, and cut a piece. 

"Min, eat this" he put it closer to her lips. Sungmin opened and hold the spoon. Slowly, she ate the pie, and after another piece, she started feeling better. 

"Thanks Kyu. I didn't know what happened. Suddenly I felt this extreme hunger and it was squeezing me". 

"It must be the hunger pangs that Dr Jones mentioned. Remember she said to always have some biscuits with you in case you have hunger pangs". 

"I remember, but I didn't know it was this bad" 

Holding her hand, Kyuhyun said "Yes, it's not easy to be a mother. While carrying the baby, the mother has to go through so many levels of discomfort and pain. That's why children shouldn't forget about their mothers' suffering and should always love their mother more" smiling, Kyuhyun wiped Sungmin's mouth and took the empty pie box to put it back in the paperbag. 

Sungmin smiled. She was thankful that she has such a wonderful husband, and knew that he would always be there throughout her pregnancy journey. 

They had a simple birthday celebration in Kyuhyun's rented home, and after ensuring that Sungmin was not too tired, Kyuhyun brought her out to Haymarket, which is at Sydney’s vibrant Chinatown. It has diverse mix of classic Cantonese eateries, sushi bars and Korean BBQ joints. Market City is a bustling bargain shopping complex with factory outlets and a food court, and on the first floor, Paddy’s Market is packed with clothing, accessory and souvenir stalls. Sungmin bought some accessories for Victoria and a teeshirt with Sydney Harbour Bridge for Kyuhyun and Changmin. 

They had their lunch at Dae Jang Kum, a pretty restaurant with wooden chairs and table, at Goulburn Street. Kyuhyun ordered baby octopus with marinated beef with vegetables (he didn't like vegetables but he ordered for Sungmin's sake) for both of them, and deep fried soft crab. It was delicious and Sungmin finished up everything on the table, even the vegetables on Kyuhyun's plate which he put aside. 

He drove to Darling Harbour and they visited Sydney's Hard Rock Cafe, and some boutiques, and then Kyuhyun brought her to Hondarake Full of Books Bookshop at Liverpool Street. Kyuhyun told her that this is the best value and the friendliest Japanese bookshop in Sydney. Showing her some 2nd hand travel books, Kyuhyun suggested to her to bring in some of these Japanese books to her own bookshop for Japanese tourist, as some of them couldn't speak English well. Sungmin went crazy as this was a brilliant idea, and she has already thinking fast as where she could place these books. Kyuhyun said that they could post the books over so that they don't have to carry them back. 

So next stopped was the Australia Post nearby, but it was closed, so Kyuhyun said that he would buy a box the next day during his lunch, and they could arranged the books to post them to their bookshop address in Melbourne. 

Sungmin was hungry again by 4pm, and after chuckling, teasing and kissing her, he drove to Sydney Harbourside. Sungmin clapped her hands as this was one of the many places that she wanted to go. He brought her to Thelma & Louise Café. Perched on the edge of the harbour and a stone’s throw from the Neutral Bay ferry wharf, Thelma & Louise Café has a great little menu for all meals and all food were cooked fresh in their little kitchen.

After that, Sungmin insisted to walk to the Sydney Opera House, eventhough Kyuhyun noticed that she was already tired. "Min, we can come back here next weekend. You need to rest. We go home ok". 

"But Kyu...." 

"I promise, we come back here next weekend. We can also go to The Rock and go up the Sydney Tower".

"Ok then, can we go back to the cafe for breakfast? I like it, their food is so homely and fresh". 

"Ok, we will come back here for breakfast next Saturday" 

Sungmin clapped her hands. She told Kyuhyun to wait for a while because she wanted to snap some photos of Sydney Harbour Bridge at night. It was so awesome looking with lights and with the ferries and boats moving endlessly around the harbour. 

Kyuhyun told her to just wait there after taking her photos while he get some sandwiches from a nearby convenient store, in case Sungmin got hungry at night. 

Kyuhyun bought sandwiches and some snacks and biscuits and went back to the spot. But Sungmin wasn't there! Hmmm, she must be so engrossed taking photos of the Bridge. He looked around and started walking further to look for his wife. 

But Sungmin wasn't around there. He started to get worried... 

​​​​​​