Popular employee

Bookshop

A group of PRC tourist was loitering outside her bookshop and one of them toppled Sungmin's flower pot. She just move away without bothering to walk-in to  apologise or help to untoppled it back. Angrily, Sungmin put down her lunch sandwich and walked out, cursing and swearing at that group who has moved away, apparently going to Melbourne Mall.

"Let me help you!"

"Ohh, Kyuhyun! It's okay, I got this thank you" Sungmin put the pot upright but the soil spill over to the ground. She sighed because the pot was broken. 

"Do you have an extra pot? I can change the pot and clean the pavement. You go back in. Else nobody look after the store"

"Thank you Kyuhyun. I have a spare pot in the store room. I'll bring it out"

Sungmin walked in and washed her hand in her mini pantry, and brought out the extra pot. She wanted to use that pot to plant lavender, but seemed like that has to wait. She brought out plastic gloves, a piece of garbage plastic and small broom and dustpan. She squat next to Kyuhyun and hand over what she brought. 

"Thanks. Go on in, I handle this" 

"Let me bring in your bagpack" Sungmin offered her hand and Kyuhyun passed her his bagpack and thanked her. 

After finished up her sandwich, she went out again to check. Wow, all done and her flower pot was placed neatly together with her other pots in the corner. The broken pot and spillover soil had been tight up in the garbage plastic and Kyuhyun scooped it up and walked over to the cycled bin to throw it. 

"Thank you! You are quite good at this!" 

Kyuhyun laughed "You are welcome. It's nothing difficult, just transfering the plant. Can I wash my hands?" 

"Sure, just walk straight in to the left". 

Sungmin took out the employment letter that she has prepared for Kyuhyun. She printed double copies so that each of them could keep a copy. 

"Do you want to read the letter first before you sign it?" 

"Ahhhh, ok, I will just read it through." 

Kyuhyun took out his glasses and read through. Now that he was at close range, Sungmin found that he looked so handsome with glasses. She quickly looked down in case she was caught starring, but now his hands caught her attention. He has nice long fingers and his hands were very smooth and fair. 

"Errr Kyuhyun, I'm ok if you want to discuss about the employment terms and conditions. Let's sit upstairs? " 

Kyuhyun looked up and said "Ok". He kept the letters in his bagpack and helped Sungmin to bring up the 2 cups of tea that Sungmin has poured. Once they have settled on the sofa, he took out the letters again. 

"Sungmin, you are paying me monthly based on daily normal hours but I'm only working from 2pm onwards. You need to exclude the first 4 hours that I'm not working. It's not fair for you" 

"It's alright Kyuhyun. I'm already happy that you are helping me and that 4 hours can cover if you work overtime to help me close the bookstore at night" 

"You sure about this?" 

"Yes. Don't worry about it. And if there are no customers, you can always do your studies or campus stuff. I'm perfectly okay" Sungmin smile at him sincerely.

"Thank you, Sungmin" He signed both copies and hand them over to Sungmin, who counter-signed both copies and hand a copy to him. 

"Welcome to My Bookshop, Kyuhyun!" 

"Thank you. I hope I don't disappoint you and I promise to be a good helper to you. You can just call Kyu, by the way" Kyuhyun smile while put away his glasses and the letter. 

Sungmin sipped her tea "Your lectures are all in morning? Is your campus far from here?" 

Kyuhyun sit back and sipped his tea as well. "Yup, the good thing about Masters program is that all lectures are in the morning. That will give us time to do research work or finish up our thesis. My campus is at Collins Street, and the location is very convenient for me coz it's near to Flinders Street station. By tram, it's only 10 mins to reach here"

"If you are working, then how do you find time to finish up your thesis?" 

"It's already halfway completed. To tell you the truth, the reason why I want to work here is because of my thesis. It's about Asian small entrepreneurs in Australia. I am researching and exploring the difficulties and challenges Asian small businesses are facing in any parts of Australia, and my focus is here in Melbourne".

"Wow. I hope my little bookshop will be able to add value to your thesis" 

"I'm more interested to get to know you, err I mean, observe how you survive in this business world" Kyuhyun quickly corrected his words. To Kyuhyun, Sungmin is one of the prettiest girl he have ever met and the thought of seeing her everyday just add sunshine to his life. But he must aways remember that she will be his boss, so he need to mind his words and manners. 

Sungmin felt shy when Kyuhyun mentioned that he was interested to get to know her. She hid her face in the tea mug by finishing up her tea. 

"Ermmmm Kyu, I will show you the catalogues, the books classification and how I arrange the books on Monday? I guess it will be on the job training" Sungmin laughed and then added "I would like you to be in charge of ordering the books and liaise with the suppliers too" 

"Alright cool. This tea is nice by the way" 

"Thank you! It's Bushells but I added mint leaves to make it more minty" 

"Really? I must tell my mum! She loves Bushells tea. I will always buy for her when I fly back to Seoul"

"Do you fly back often?" 

"Once a year, for Christmas. Seoul is beautiful during Christmas because of winter and all the colourful light decorations which glows in the snow. Do you go back too?" 

"No, I don't have any families  in Seoul after my parents died. I do have an aunt in Ilsan though but I lost contact with her after my grandmother passed away. My last visit was 6 years ago to attend her funeral" Sungmin told him sadly. Her life was really . Even during Christmas, she just celebrated alone and spent her time reading. 

"I see. If you like, come home with me this Christmas. My mum knew about this job and she was thrilled that you are a Korean too. She said how nice if she can meet you one day" Kyuhyun smile thinking of his conversation with his omma a few days ago. 

"So nice of you, Kyu" 

"We'll talk about it nearer to the date then!! I shouldn't hold you back. Let me washed the mugs" Kyuhyun took both mugs and went down to wash them. 

Sungmin smile to herself. Kyuhyun is cute and charming at the same time. Her dull life will be better with more sunshine when he is around! She took Kyuhyun's bag and went down too to get ready to close her shop. She told Kyuhyun that his bag is at the counter and wait for her to close the shop. 

Kyuhyun walked with her to her place, Unilodge, at Swanston Street and wave her goodbye. He then walked to the nearby tram station to take the tram ride back to his lodging near his campus at Collins Street. 

For the next two weeks, Kyuhyun learnt everything about My Bookshop. From arranging the books, to stocktaking, to classification by genre, to purchasing books, to preparing payment invoice, to receiving the books from supplier, and to recording all books in Sungmin's file. He informed Sungmin that it is better to store the info in a database, and that he can help Sungmin to create an app in MS Access in Sungmin's laptop. 

In every spare time that Kyuhyun has, he worked on creating the database in MS Access. He input each book, based on the genre and how Sungmin classify them, by author, title and publisher. By month-end, everything had been input into the database. Kyuhyun has created an auto-execute page to serve as a menu, and Sungmin just need to select what she intended to do, for example create a report, and Access would create a sales report for her. Or look for a book, or search a purchase order, etc, everything was easy and fast. 

Sungmin was impressed and so happy that Kyuhyun automated practically everything for her. He even advice her to backup her database regularly and bought an external disk for her for storage so that her laptop don't have to store the large database of books. 

By month-end, My Bookshop has doubled the numbers of customers and profit,  all because universities students and even office workers were heads over heels with Kyuhyun. He was charming and always ready to show the books that customers were looking for and some came just to see Kyuhyun but ended up buying because they could be with him all the way to the checkout counter. 

Sungmin was a bit jealous that Kyuhyun was very popular with the girls, but as long as it helps with her sales profit, she could put up with all the girls admiring Kyuhyun. On his part, Kyuhyun just wanted to do his work. He was always polite to these girls but he never crossed the line. 

There was this lady who came just after lunch, asking for Kyuhyun. Sungmin politely told her that Kyuhyun started work later, after 2pm, and if there was anything that the lady would want, she could assist first. It turned out that she was looking for an author's novel, which during her previous visit, Kyuhyun had informed her that their bookshop did have such author but as she needed to leave, had told Kyuhyun that she would come again. 

The author was Patricia Cornwell, but the lady could not recall the title. The range of books by Patricia Cornwell were on the higher display cabinet, so Sungmin has to use a ladder to climb up. She brought down a few books to show her, but those were not what she wanted, so Sungmin climbed up again to bring down more books. After looking through about 15 books, she finally said she wanted 'Point Of Origin', which Patricia Cornwell published in 1998. She was happy, paid Sungmin and left. And Sungmin has about 14 books lying on the floor to put back on the upper cabinet. 

She climbed up again with all the 14 books stacked in one arm and she hold the ladder with another hand. Few books fell off her hold and she tried to balance herself to catch them but she ended up falling all the way down! She used her right hand to break her fall but it hit the side of the ladder and she felt excruciating pain and she out. 

When Kyuhyun walked in, he noticed that Sungmin was not at the counter. There wasn't any customers so Sungmin might be inside somewhere. He called her name but she didn't answer. When he was about to turn to go up the mezzanine floor, he saw Sungmin sprawled on the floor with books around her! Alarmed, he ran to her and noticed that she was unconscious and her right hand has started swelling. 

He grabbed his backpack, looked for Sungmin's wallet, grab the bookshop keys and slowly carry Sungmin over his shoulder. Balancing Sungmin with one shoulder, he locked the bookshop door and with quick steps, walked towards Swanston Street Medical Centre. A few passersby were looking but Kyuhyun ignored them and once he reached the medical centre, he called a nurse and request for emergency assistance.

Sungmin was put on drip, and was hospitalised due to fractured right  wrist, bruises on her head and swelling legs. Though not so seriously fractured, the doctor advice for hospitalisation until the swelling has subsided. Kyuhyun was asked to register her name and whether she has insurance coverage. 

Thanking God that he brought her wallet, he searched for her ID and insurance card. He passed both to the registrar and was asked to take a seat first. After about 10 minutes, the registrar called out "May the husband of Ms Sungmin Lee come to the counter, please". 

"Husband? Me?" Kyuhyun was amused by the lady at the counter for her mistake. He went up to the counter and was about to correct her mistake but she started talking about hospital charges and that it can be covered by insurance, so her next-of-kin could signed here... and Kyuhyun was thinking fast "oh if I am not her next-of-kin, the charges cannot be covered by insurance?".. 

"Hi, ok just sign here? Alright, there you go" 

"Thank you. So all her charges will be covered by insurance. Give me a minute, I give you a copy of the charges" and she added "are all handsome men taken?" 

"I beg your pardon?" Kyuhyun asked, not quite sure of the sudden question. 
 
"Haha I was just kidding. You are very good looking but sadly, taken" 

"Ohh haha, well, thank you for the compliment" Kyuhyun smile and walked back to the wards. 

He met the doctor outside Sungmin's door and Kyuhyun asked more in detail about the fracture, like how long it would take to be heal, and could she use her fingers without causing much pain. 

Sungmin regained consciousness and she looked around confusedly. A nurse who was putting a plaster on her head due some bruises, explained to her that she was warded in Swanston Medical Centre due to her fractured right wrist and bruises, and that her husband was outside talking to their doctor. 

"Husband?" 

"Yup, he will be right here soon, don't worry. You are a beautiful couple, ma'am. We nurses were talking about how pretty you are and how handsome your husband is. It's like a match made in heaven! And he was so romantic and so caring for carrying you all the way here by foot! If only my useless boyfriend would do that for me!" the nurse was sighing loudly. The plaster was done and the nurse wipe some of her blood on her forehead. She adjusted the drip and wrote something on the note board. 

Kyuhyun walked in, and noticing that she has regained consciousness, quickly went to her side. 

"How are you feeling? You gave me a scare! You should just wait for me to put back those books" he gently push her hair out of the plaster. 

Talking in Korean, Sungmin said "Kyu, thank you. The nurses here think that you are my husband" Sungmin said smiling.

Replying Sungmin in Korean "Yeah, so, should I play along so that they are more jealous?" Kyuhyun smile and bend down to kiss Sungmin's forehead. 

"Kyu..." 

"Awww aren't you two sweet!! Ok ma'am, we need to get you an x-ray in an hour's time, so I will be back later to wheel you to the x-ray room okay" 

"Thank you" Sungmin said and turned her head to look at Kyuhyun. "Really Kyu, thank you for carrying me here. I must be very heavy" 

"Nonsense, you are so light! I've locked the bookshop by the way and I will go back there to put back those books. Who wanted those books?" 

"A lady, in her 30s, and actually looking for you. She said she asked you about Patricia Cornwall books and that she will come again" 

"Oh yes, a lady with a hat, right? She told me she was in a hurry but will come back again". 

"Well she did, but she couldn't recall the title, so I brought down few books, none that she wants, then a few more until there were 15 books altogether and finally she chose one! After she left, I wanted to put back the rest, just that I underestimated the weights, so some books slipped off my arms, and I wanted to save them and I toppled down. I used my right hand to break my fall but then I felt pain and black out"

"Silly! Just wait for me to do it! " 

"haha I thought I'm still young" 

"You are young! You are just 2 years older than me!" 

"You knew my age?" 

"I have to looked for your ID just now. I need to register you and luckily I found your insurance card as well. So all charges will be paid by your medical insurance"

"Oh but need to be signed by a family" 

"I'm 'your husband' remember?" Kyuhyun laughed. 

Sungmin laughed too. 

The nurse came back with a wheelchair to wheel Sungmin to the x-ray room. Kyuhyun carried her to the wheelchair while the nurse hold the drip. She asked Kyuhyun to help push Sungmin while she bring along the noteboard and some files. 

At the x-ray room, she asked Kyuhyun to push Sungmin to a changing room and then she got a set of hospital gown and passed to Kyuhyun to help 'his wife' change into the x-ray gown. Kyuhyun panicked "Oh God, help Sungmin to change? what should I do now??? How can I...?" 

He walked back to Sungmin and told her what needs to be done. Sungmin panicked too because she needed help to change to the gown but obviously not with Kyuhyun's help!! How now...