Something unfortunate

Bookshop


It was the Friday after Kyuhyun's graduation, and Mr and Mrs Cho had flew home the night before. Sungmin missed them, because they have been helping her in her bookshop and they have form some kind of a close bond. 

Mrs Cho promised to fly down to Melbourne before Sungmin's due, and she said they plan to stay longer, much to Sungmin's delight. 

It was during lunch that Sungmin noticed two big-size Chinese guys loitering outside her bookshop. She brought her sandwiches so that she don't have to walk to Melbourne Mall to buy her lunch. Now that her tummy is big, she find it hard to walk far, as her cramps would start and she needed to sit down to suppress the pain. 

While eating, she saw that the two guys were pointing at the 'closed' sign at her door. Sungmin had off her bookshop lights to save energy, as the daylight was bright enough for her. Her phone suddenly buzzed. 

"Heyyy love, are you eating your lunch?" Kyuhyun asked her. 

"Yeah, eating now. You?" 

"Not yet. Guess what? We got half day off today" Kyuhyun said with a happy voice. 

"Oh, how come?" 

"Apparently we won The Best FinTech award, so our big boss gave us the rest of the day off! And I'm on my way to the Bookshop. Are you there now?" 

"Wow, congratulations!! Yes, I'm at the Bookshop. Kyu, there are 2 Chinese guys kept loitering outside the store. I'm scared even to open the door to bring in the 2 boxes of periodicals which were just arrive" Sungmin said.

"I told you to leave the boxes there. I will bring them in. They are too heavy for you. I'll be there soon" and Kyuhyun heard his wife started coughing... "Min, are you ok?" 

Sungmin coughed again and was alarmed when she saw the two boxes of periodicals were on fire and the smoke seeped into the front door. She could smell the smoke and that was why she started coughing. 

"Kyu!! The two guys started fire on our periodicals!! And the smoke started coming in!" and Sungmin coughed again and again. She quickly got up to look for the fire foam spray but she found it difficult to breath. The smoke had spread to her counter area. 

"Min!!! Use your hanky to cover your nose!!! Min!!" and Kyuhyun quickly jumped off from the tram and ran to their bookshop. "Ohmygod!!" Kyuhyun was alarmed that the two boxes were burning. Their next door shopowner came out and brought the fire foam spray. 

"Cho! Where's Sungmin? Is she inside??" Mr Barret, owner of Crumpler Luggage, ran towards him with alarm. 

"She's inside. I'll get our fire foam spray too!" Kyuhyun said with panic. 

"I got this, you go and see if she's ok!" Mr Barret started spraying at the burning fire. "Maily, get the other foam spray!!" Mr Barret shouted to his helper who quickly ran back to their shop. 

Kyuhyun unlocked their Bookshop door and quickly dashed in to look for Sungmin. The smoke seeped in more and he quickly covered his nose with his hanky. The smoke made his eyes watery and difficult to see. He scrambled to switch on the lights and shouted for Sungmin. 

"Sungmin???!!!! Where are you??!! Min???!!!" Kyuhyun saw that his wife was not at the counter so he scrambled inwards. 

"Kyu...." Sungmin voice sounded so weak, somewhere towards their pantry area. 

The visibility was bad and Kyuhyun dropped to the floor to search for his wife. He found her on the floor with one hand on her tummy and the other hand holding her hanky near her lips. 

"Ohmygod Min!!" Kyuhyun slowly lifted her head and put on his lap. He cradled her and held her face towards his chest so that she don't kept breathing in the smoke. He heard the fire engine truck and was thankful to whoever called for it. He heard Mr Barret told the fire engine guy that the shop owners were inside and a fire fighter guy ran in and shouted for them. 

"We are here! My wife fainted. Can you call the ambulance please? She's heavily pregnant and she must have breath in the smoke" Kyuhyun cradled her closer and called out to the guy. 

"It's on the way sir. Here, let me put the oxygen mask on her" the guy squatted next to Kyuhyun and put the oxygen mask on Sungmin so that Sungmin could breath in oxygen. 

The ambulance came and they were instructed to bring in a stretcher by the fire fighter guy. 
The paramedics were briefed by the fire fighter guy that the fainted lady was pregnant and she must have breathed in the smoke. 

Kyuhyun passed the Bookshop door keys to Mr Barret who ushered him to go to the hospital with Sungmin, and assured him that he would take care of the Bookshop and will give his statement to the police. Kyuhyun was thankful that they have such a good neighbouring shop. He grabbed Sungmin's handbag and rushed in to the ambulance. He glanced back at their bookshop and thankfully, only the exterior front wall and part of the door was impacted by the fire. He was thankful too that he was on half-day, else he couldn't imagine what would happened to Sungmin!

He moved closer to Sungmin and held her hand. The paramedic was checking her heartbeat and put an instrument near her abdomen to check the baby's heartbeat too. He adjusted Sungmin's oxygen mask and cleaned her wrist to insert the drip. 

"Where are you from, sir?" the paramedic asked Kyuhyun politely. 

"We are Koreans, but my wife is a permanent resident here in Melbourne. I studied here so after we got married, I decided to work here as well" Kyuhyun answered him politely too, while slowly pushing aside Sungmin's hair lovingly. 

"She'll be alright, mate, just that she is still in shock. But from the baby heartbeats, it seemed that your baby is in distress. Don't worry too much, the oxygen can calm your baby down". 

"I hope so. She has been getting lots of cramps lately and maybe just now she started feeling pain, that's why she was on the floor. She's like that, when she knew that she is in danger, she will sit on the floor". 

"Which is very clever of her. It will minimise fall which is very dangerous for both baby and mother. You two are a beautiful couple by the way" the paramedic smile at Kyuhyun. 

"Ohh thanks" Kyuhyun smile back. It was not the first time he has heard that from fellow Australians. Maybe Sungmin and him are really soulmate? Kyuhyun squeezed Sungmin's hand gently. It wasn't an easy pregnancy for her and this insident just add to the list of difficulties and mishaps. His poor wife!  He could only pray for her safety and took care of her as best as he could. Falling in love with her is the best thing that happened in his life and he loves her more and more each day! 

Once they reached the hospital, Sungmin got priority treatment as she is pregnant. After completed the registration for her admission, Kyuhyun ran in to the ER to stay beside his wife. 

"Mr Cho, your wife breath in a lot of smoke, so it will take a while to clear her lungs. We have to admit her for further observation and to monitor the baby" the doctor in charge, explained to him. 

"I understand doctor. But is she alright? I mean her lungs and her pregnancy?" Kyuhyun asked worriedly. 

"Yes, she is alright. We will give her an injection which help to clear the lungs, but don't worry, it's quite mild and will not harm the baby" the doctor assured Kyuhyun. 

"Thank you, doctor!" 

An hour later, after Sungmin was transfered to a single room ward, Kyuhyun received a call from Mr Barret. 

"Cho? How is Sungmin?" 

"Hi Michael! She is alright, still in shock though, but no other injuries. Baby is doing great so far" 

"That's great!!" Kyuhyun could hear that Mr Barret breath a sigh of relieve. "By the way, Cho, I called because the police wants to talk to you. I told the police my assistant saw two Chinese guys loitering outside your bookshop, and could have started the fire on that two boxes outside your door. But my surveillance camera wasn't pointing towards your shop front, so I have no proof. You have surveillance camera installed, haven't you? The police wanted to see the camera". 

Kyuhyun recalled Sungmin told him the same thing, that there were two Chinese guys outside the Bookshop. He quickly said "Yes yes we have. Do you have the police contact number? I go back to the Bookshop and check our camera recording" 

"Yes, I have. Let me know when you are here, I meet you at your shop and pass you the keys too" Mr Barret told him. 

"Alright, I will call you later. Thanks Michael!". 

Sungmin was still unconscious so Kyuhyun asked the nurse in duty to call him when Sungmin woke up. He left the hospital and headed back to the Bookshop, and call Mr Barret. 

Both of them inspected the damaged area and went in to check the camera surveillance recording. Kyuhyun has installed the cameras only this year, and they were everywhere outside and inside their shop. 

"Look, those were the two guys!" Kyuhyun pointed at the screen.

"And bingo, they took out something from their pocket and started the fire!! We got them!!" Mr Barret said excitedly. 

"But why did they want to damaged our bookshop? I don't remember I saw them before. What could be the reason?" Kyuhyun wondered aloud. 

"Maybe their target is Sungmin? Does she has any enemies? Like book supplier, creditors?" 

"Not that I know off. But even if she has, she will inform me" Kyuhyun told Mr Barret. He made a copy of the footage and kept it in Sungmin's drawer while he put the original in an envelop to hand it to the police.

"Here's the police contact. Want me to go with ya?" Mr Barret offered. 

"It's alright, thank you Michael, I've troubled you enough today. I'll call the inspector and will go to the station" Kyuhyun put his hand over Mr Barret's shoulder to thank him.

Walking towards the police station, Kyuhyun was trying to figure out why the two Chinese guys wanted to burnt doen the Bookshop, or even wanted to harm Sungmin. 

He got a text message, from an unknown number. Confuse, he clicked on the message. 

"Serve her right! Wahahaha!" 

Kyuhyun felt that the number is familiar but it was not in his contact list. Who could it be??